“Nice pub, but poor food :(”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Restaurants in Castleton
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Castle - Castleton offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The castle is a really nice pub with a great beer garden and beautiful views. When we visited it wasn't overly busy, but tables hadnt been cleared from us arriving to us leaving. We ordered food on 2 separate occasions, first occasion was a bacon and Brie cob, the wait for this was quite a while, with other customers food being brought out before ours even though they had ordered after us. The second occasion we ordered a burger each which when arrived was barely luke warm. Quite disappointed and I'm afraid to say we won't be eating here again for a long while.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the third bad experience at this pub and in my book that means not again as in my business will be going elsewhere. Vintage inns are part of what is probably Britains biggest food and drink empire and I often frequent vintage inns. This I find to be the worst by far. Why well there can only be one answer which is poor quality local management because I fail to understand why when I walk into a half empty restaurant at 4 pm on a Sunday the first thing I am told is there is no roast beef and a 30 minute wait for everything else left on the menu. I fail to understand because on Sunday its a restricted and largely carvery menu. When the food does arrive precisely 30 minutes later its edible but lukewarm so exactly what have they been doing ? Well one can only guess because they seem to have enough waiting staff so its got to be a kitchen problem either not enough staff in there or they are simply not competent. Either way its not good enough at the premium prices they charge to expect customers to put up with such poor quality. So my advice to visitors to Castleton is go somewhere else , there is plenty of choice offering better quality.

3  Thank sandalian
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We wanted lunch but sadly the bar staff were 1 down and it was clear they were rushed off their feet. A really lovely place and a very busy day in Castleton, it wouldn't put us off coming back.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Went for a meal with my hubby. The food was lovely, food was ready within 15 mins of ordering. I find the menu had plenty of choice but expensive but if you stick to the offers you do get great deals. Lovely staff. A good place to visit would definitely go there again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went on a Saturday afternoon and sat outside in the beer garden. Even though it was not busy, not many tables were free as no one was bothering to clear them. We ordered food, then swapped to a better table, so I went back inside to tell them that we had moved. When the waiter brought my boyfriend's food out, he gave it to the wrong person, then told us off for not letting anyone know we had moved seats. 40 minutes later my own food had not arrived, so I went in to ask after it. There were only a few customers inside the pub, and the waitresses were not doing anything. They did not apologise when I explained about the food, and when a waitress brought it over shortly after she threw the cutlery down and did not even bother to clear away the plates from my boyfriend's (long finished) meal. To top it off, the food I received was not what had been described on the menu.
Considering there are so many other lovely places with friendly, polite service in Castleton, I would never consider going back to the Castle.

2  Thank Rebekah E