“After a nice walk,enjoy a meal with drinks here.”

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn
Ranked #7 of 20 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Cheshire
“After a nice walk,enjoy a meal with drinks here.”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

When visiting Castletown in Derbyshire,we decided to visit the Cheshire Cheese Inn for a drink and lunchtime meal.
This lovely old traditional Inn was warm and welcoming on a chilly day,and as we sat by the warm fire with our drinks.We sat and admired this beautiful building with traditional beams and low ceilings.
The owner was very welcoming and soon had our food brought to the table consisting of homemade soup and jacket potato with tuna and salad which was delicious.
There are no televishions or sports tables,just a lovely cosy atmosphere with some background music to listen to.There are also local newspapers and some board games available if customers are interested.
The toilets are spotlessly clean and are obviously checked regularly.
The Inn also offers bed and breakfast accomodation from single to double rooms all en-suite.
If you ever visit this beautiful little village i would recommend a visit to this traditional Inn and you won"t be disappointed.

• Visited March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
manchester
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We weren't staying here but we ate here all three nights of our stay. The pub and restaurant and really lovely and the food is top notch, absolutely lovely. Roast dinner best we've ever had couldn't believe how much meat we got and the Wild Boar Casserole and Innkeepers Pie absolutely delicious and the Black Pudding and Bacon Tower was to die for!! We would highly recommend eating here - its the best.

Visited June 2012
Slaithwaite, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Took my parents for a day out to Derwent and wanted a Sunday lunch,we looked the night before on Tripadviser and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn came out one of the best .We ordered three Sunday lunches and a sandwich the time was 12-30-1.00 and had to wait 30-40 minutes .When our meals arrived the beef was VERY dry , the roast potatoes not cooked ,the mash and veg cold,my sandwich the bread was hard as if left near heat .sorry will not be coming back and wouldn't recommend,I'm not a fussy person but I do like value for money and a nice meal both of which we didn't get today .

New York
“Cracking Local Pub”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Terrific little pub at the start of the high street. Friendly service from the staf fon a Friday night despite being under the hammer! Very well priced drinks across the board from Cider to wine and ales. Some good selections on the ales too! I second the vegetarian option as we orded a vegetarian pasta and it was just as apetising if not more than my home made steak and ale pie. Traditional setting and a pub that seems very rich in Castleton's interesting history. Recommended as my favourite of the 6 Castleton pubs on offer.

1 Thank MatthewKR_AU
liverpool
“excellent for vegetarians”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We ate here after trying 3 other places in castleton looking for anything good for the non meat eater. My wife was after a roast, and most places on castleton had a roast on (this was sunday early evening) but nowhere had much in the way of a veggie option. The Bull's head up the road was serving what looked like thin sliced school dinner beef and their veggie option was tomato and cream penne for a tenner.

Anyway, here there were a couple of veggie options and even a vegan and wheat free option.

I was really tempted by the blue cheese and leek pie, other diner's pies looked great, but I went for the veggie roast. It came with a delicous savoury nut roast, my wife's came with three very thick slices of beef. Veg, roasties and a large yorkshire completed the meal. The only thing missing was a green veg, in my opinion (no cabbage or peas) the roast parsnips were crispy and spot on.

After the dissapointment of the other pubs limited menus, the menu here was a nice surprise. Service was a bit slow at the bar, one lad working his socks off, on a bank holiday weekend. Maybe someone had dropped out. I have no problem ordering my own dinner at the bar, some people on here did. This is a pub, remember. The food came reasonable quickly once ordered.

4 different ciders available, two on tap. Nice range of wine by the bottle, a bit more limited by the glass.

Anyway, good stuff. If you are trying to decide between the various pubs doing food in the village, this really isn't a bad choice, and if you have a veggie in the party, then it's no contest.