“SPA REFRESHER/ASSESSMENT PREPARATION”

Peak Mountaineering Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Castleton
More attraction details
Owner description: Peak Mountaineering is a specialist provider of mountain activities based in the heart of the Peak District National Park. We offer climbing, navigation, hillwalking, scrambling, expeditions and national governing body qualifications to everyone from families to adults. We are also ITC first aid trainers and we can manage all your personal or professional first aid training requirements. Join us in the Peak District for a great adventure and a very warm welcome.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Paul provided a superb day of SPA refresher training and preparation for my SPA assessment (which I duly passed!). Having done the training course 3 years ago I was keen to have my group management and rigging skills checked out and Paul made sure these were not only tested but best practice was demonstrated and advice given. My 19 year old son and keen climber joined us for the day and gained as much as I did from the day which I highly recommend for anyone approaching the SPA assessment.

1  Thank Bill I

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Summary: A great day out: not only meeting but exceeding the objectives for the day, whilst in good company & professional hands. I look forward to another opportunity to use them again. Thoroughly recommended.
................
After years away from lead climbing due to work, I felt I needed a refresher and update on current practice.
A last minute opportunity appeared so I called Paul at Peak Mountaineering Friday lunchtime to see if there was any possibility he could do something for the Saturday.... short notice!
Within the hour, despite being out of the office he'd managed to arrange an instructor for the following day and I was booked. Clearly good contacts & communications.

I met Jake the following morning, had an initial chat about my past experience & aspirations for the day, made a plan and were on the road in 20minutes. Efficient.
We spent the day across very two local sites, perfectly selected given what we wanted to cover and the wind. During the day, we also discussed other sites for novice group work. Great local knowledge.
After an initial 'test climb' to see how I worked, he let me lead & rig, providing feedback & tips along the way; exactly what I had asked for. The confidence boosting affirmations and encouragement were a welcome bonus!
In the afternoon, we did some more lead climbing, went through rigging bottom-ropes & abseils for groups and did a couple of multi-pitch routes for the different rigging/protection scenarios they present.
Jake had a very relaxed, yet concise way of providing feedback down to minute details or passing on tips from his extensive experience. This meant we were able to cover a lot of topics & scenarios in the short time available, without feeling rushed.

Putting my 'course objectives' to one side as met & exceeded, it was also a very pleasant day out on the crags.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am an indoor climber wanting to venture to the outdoor world so the learning to lead course with Paul this weekend was exactly what I needed and more. The balance of safety out on the rock face and relaxed yet progressive duration of the course was perfect. I had an excellent time and will be seriously considering an overseas follow-up course that Paul offers. We didn't have the best of the weather however Paul's wealth of local knowledge took us to sheltered quarry climbs and even a tucked away adapted tall archway rock face. Stanage edge rounded off a fantastic experience.

2  Thank dan16001
Reviewed 12 August 2014

With ambitions to venture from indoor to outdoor climbing we needed a course to learn the required skills safely & in the company of an experienced instructor. The course provided this perfectly. I found the course was tailored well to our skill level & always felt safe which enabled me to take on information. I came away feeling more confident and eager to get back outside climbing! I would recommend & encourage anyone to do the course - it was worth every penny.

1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A climbing day with Paul to recap our rusty climbing skills (quite a few years since last being on rock!).

Paul assessed where we were at at the start of the day and made sure that by the end of it we were feeling much more confident in our own skills. Can't wait to get back out there soon!

Thanks Paul for a great day (you may well see us again!)