“Lovely setting, lovely room, good food”
Review of Ye Olde Nags Head

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castleton
Ye Olde Nags Head
Ranked #5 of 13 Castleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Really nice room (Howden see the picture!) with very comfortable bed. Lovely towels too. Location at the end of hope valley is perfect for walking. Food was good - we picked up a good deal with 2 rump steaks and bottle of wine for £24.99: absolute bargain

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TonyDownham

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went with my son so we had a 'cottage' above the pub which was clean and basic things in it - great for a weekend but not that cheap as we had a bedroom each - obviously - I had the bunkbed room as he is lot bigger than I am and had the double. I could barely get out of bed the room is so small ok for two nights but no more. Pub grub ok but should try harder - just lazy as no competition. I know other people have said it was great and pub is so interesting but just a bit lack lustre and obviously always busy because of where it is. Would stay again but do not agree with the 'comfy bed' tripadvisor contribution.

Room Tip: perhaps stay in pub... don't have cottage unless you are using a double or use bunk for kids...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have visited the Nags several times and never been disappointed. Our last visit we had the pleasure of a lovely variety of home cooked food followed by live entertainment, which was very good, the staff are helpful and friendly, arranging taxis back home for us. The pub also has an excellent selection of beers (inc low alcohol) and wines!!!
Worth going in Winter as they have real fires !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My partner booked me a surprise break away here as I love the Peak and walking. We had eaten here before and enjoyed the food so much we wanted to come back and try an overnighter. I was certainly not disappointed, it was amazing. We had The Ladybower room, which had a very comfortable 4 poster and a corner bath. I slept so well that night and had a long lie in, as they do breakfast till late. The views out to Mam Tor and Losehill are great, although the weather was not great when we were there. Nice touch in the room was complimentary water and wine. The food was homemade, hearty and tasty. We shared a starter (as the portions are quite big) of stilton and whisky pate with toasted baguette and side salad, very unusual not had before and very nice. The pie with homemade chips was a good choice for main (after walking in the rain all day) and the fresh lovely veg to accompany it was fab, I counted 6 different veg. Good choice of wine and ales, and there are different rooms you can eat your meal in ie: restaurant area, bar (which is very homely) and a middle room, with leather sofa. I noted an upstairs very nice eating area, which I assume gets used in busy periods, which looked very romantic too. The breakfast was fresh, with good quality produce and a good selection. Very polite friendly and helpful staff, nothing too much trouble. Great check out/in times too and good parking. I can't recommend this excellent pub/hotel highly enough and will definitely be back. Had a fabulous birthday break. :)

Room Tip: Lady bower room has a fab 4 poster bed, corner bath and great views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Had a lovely two day break which was my husbands Birthday/Retirement treat off my daughter and partner. We stayed in the Hawdon Room ( an upgrade , as we couldn't make the dates my daughter booked us in for at no extra cost. ) The room was quant and the bed very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant both nights , the food was very nice. The steak deal at £29 .99 for 2 steaks and bottle of wine was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

As a single traveller on this occassion , from the moment you enter the building you are made to feel at home from all the efficient and friendly staff .
The Rivelin room (which i stayed in) was immaculately clean with lots of complimentary extras to make you feel at home which was a nice touch .
Lots of variety to choose from a traditional menu plus specials changed regularly every day on offer , breakfast was also fantastic with a wide choice .
To the owners and all members of staff the whole stay was made special and hassle free from beginning to end by all your hard work and attention to detail .
I would'nt hesitate in recommending the 'Nags Head' to anyone , and will be be returning as soon as possible with my other half .
The Nags Head is ideally situated in the heart of the peak district for many lovely walks .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a great place to stay. It's right in the heart of one of the most picturesque villages in the Peak District which means you can walk from the door. The bedroom was comfortable and the modern bathroom was spacious and clean. The staff are friendly and efficient and extremely hardworking. They offer an excellent choice of breakfasts and I loved the fact that they served it right up until 11.00am. The dinner menu is also very good. One night I chose game casserole which was OK but the real star was their steak special. The steak was cooked to perfection and the accompanying chips and onion rings etc were lovely too.
One thing I will say is that they are in the process of renovation work so it was a bit odd to look out of our windows to see bricks and boards just outside but judging from the state of the windowsills is a timely necessity.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn
Swiss House B&B
Swiss House B&B
#1 of 13 in Castleton

Been to Ye Olde Nags Head? Share your experiences!