“great place to stay”
Review of Ye Olde Nags Head

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castleton
Ye Olde Nags Head
Ranked #4 of 13 Castleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 April 2009

stayed at this lovely little pub come bed and breakfast with my parents.
the rooms were clean and comfortable, we had no bath towels upon arrival so were given a drink on the house to say sorry..
complimentary bottle of wine in the rooms which had lovely views of the castle and town.
my parents intend to take my daughter here when she visits on her holiday from Australia,
what better recommendation than a return visit by the way the breakfast is superb

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 February 2009

Good points
- the beer
- the log fire
- manageress friendly

Bad points
- it's very expensive for what it is - it's a rip off really
- rooms tatty and cold
- breakfast OK but service poor (toast arrived after breakfast finished and very hard to get a coffee top up
- bar food shocking

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2009

I booked the Winn Hill suite for a surprise romantic night away with my fiancé (I popped the question on the day of the booking). After booking the room I later had a look at some reviews on Trip Advisor. To my concern many reviews seemed less than favourable. Due to the personal importance of the occasion I was more than a little concerned.

I phoned up and spoke to the Manager and another employee who invited me to come and view the room and chat to them about any concerns. They both bent over backwards to ensure I was happy with arrangements and even let me have access the night before (for no extra cost) so that I could “beautify” the already romantic four poster room with flowers, candles and the works. They truly went out of their way to ensure the night was a perfect success.

With regard to any of the complaints I had read in previous reviews I can honestly say from our personal experience that none of the negative reports rang true in any respect. The room was clean, well thought out and cosy yet classy (the Jacuzzi helped) and the pub had a lovely “Olde” feel as you would expect. Thanks again…

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We booked a romantic night away on the 14th Nov having read the Hotel's own website. We arrived there late afternoon after a long walk and had to wait a while to be checked in and we were suprised that we were asked to pay in advance (this made us feel uncomfortable). We were shown to our room (Howden) and like the previous occupants found it to be tatty, unclean and probably the same cobwebs which they saw round the lights were still there as were the stains on the ceiling and down the wall from the shower leak.
We decided not to eat there in the evening as all we could smell oustide our room was grease.
Breakfast was suprisingly good and was delivered to us in reasonable time.
Overall we were very disappointed as we have stopped in a higher calibre of hotels of similar price bracket but Ye Olde Nags Head doesnot deliver the standard that should be reflected in the price. By far this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2008

Arrived at Ye Olde Nags Head Castleton to be greeted by no one !
After a while we found a person to show us to our room, Howden.
When the people in the room above us had a shower/bath the water came into our room via the ceiling, down the wall and soaked the curtains through. In order to place our clothes in the wardrobe we had to remove a spare bed !!! the tea/coffee making facilites were disgraceful, two open EMPTY teabag packets, the table was filthy had not been cleaned since I don't know when. There was dirty spoons on the plate too. The top of a cabinet was dirty and I could not put my toiletries out until I had cleaned it myself. The room was full of cobwebs nothing had been wiped over. If you go make sure to take coat hangers and, oh, yes there are No draws but a cabinet instead. Breakfast, best meal of the day, or so we thought, we waited fourty mins. to be given screambled egg and bacon the bacon was cold and had black scrapings on it, which implied the cooker had never been cleaned. We did not eat there at night because it was empty , the chef was misrable and shut the kitchens at eight as no one was eating there, oh what a suprise, we were told it was the worst place to eat in Castleton. We saw the chef and waiting staff outside on several occasions smoking. We paid £170 for two nights b and b and only had one breakfast and didn't eat that. It was very over priced for what we got. I know it is a walkers hotel and not the Ritz but we did expect the mess in our room that was left from the last people to be cleaned up before we went in,.not too much to ask is it. I will never go back there the other hotels charge similar amounts and are loads better in all aspects. And we had to pay on arrival.....

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Um. Arrival at very olde worlde inn is what you would expect - quaint, a bit rickety, but sort of homely. However, being asked to settle the bill on ARRIVAL put my hackles up and this plus £95 per night for the room set my antenna twitching.
Our room, the biggest four poster, was certainly big enough and very nearly great, but spoiled by lots of silly things; there was a ver noticeable musty smell, the draws in the chest of drawers were actually grubby and I had to shake out the bits of god knows what, the wardrobe was stacked with spare bedding which we had to empty out before we could use it, (and then found a box of someone else's rubbish underneath it, including tablets and used tissues), the caulking around the bath was detached and manky, the hook on which to hang the shower head was missing, the pull cord to operate the jacuzzi was so grubby you didn't want to touch it, there was no curtain or blind on the bathroom window, etc.etc This lot would have cost less than one nights room charge to fix but it left a sad impression.

The complimentary bottle of wine was, however, a nice touch.
The breakfast were pretty good and the bar meals in the evening were excellent value for money. One of the beers was off and the barman semed more concerned about his loss of profit than actually solving the issue.

The staff were 'variable' - a couple of the younger folk were charming and bent over backwards to help; not quite so sure about the customer friendliness of the chef and the barman.

All in all, it was cosy, it was 'OK' - but at that price, they really ought to sort out the simple stuff. Then it could be really good.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I approached our stay at the hotel with trepidation,as I had booked it prior to reading the awful reviews it had recieved, so bad that I didn;t tell my wife,as she would've wanted to go elsewhere !! How wrong can reviews be,The hotel is under new management and I can truly recommend it .On arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown to our lovely cosy,warm room, which as well as the usual tea/coffee contained a welcoming complimentary bottle of wineThis was the start of a delightful stay, the food was superb the tatsiest meals at a very reasonable pricewe ever had in the peak district. The breakfast was also of top quality and all at £50 for two, excellent value, so much so that I am putting this out for all, This is a lovely inexpensive place to stay with pleasant staff,superb food and cosy rooms, highly recommended we will stay again

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
0 mi away
0 mi away
Causeway House
Causeway House
#5 of 13 in Castleton

Been to Ye Olde Nags Head? Share your experiences!