“Wonderful and welcoming B&B”

Rambler's Rest Guest House
Ranked #3 of 13 Castleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I spent five nights at The Rambler's Rest Guest House in the beginning of July and would recommend it highly. Claire and Robbie are warm, welcoming and lovely hosts. I had a rather aggravating drive to Castleton and Claire was lovely when I called to say I would be quite a bit later than my stated arrival time. And it went uphill from there. Upon arrival I was welcomed warmly, introduced to the family who were checking out the recently opened cafe and shown up to my room.

The room was an en-suite double with a view of the mill stream. It was the perfect size for me though might be snug for two visitors. There are larger rooms. The en-suite had everything you need though again due to space restrictions was not large. I did not find this to be an issue though. There is wifi though the signal was intermittent in my room.

The parking lot across the lane from the house is quite handy as parking is difficult in Castleton unless you pay at the visitors lot.

Breakfast was from 8:30-9:30 which suited me as I was on vacation and in no rush. Plenty of options for cereal, fruit and yogurt. I did not have a full cooked breakfast but from the comments of the other guests it was delicious. Claire and Robbie's son Tom was my server as he lent a helping hand before school.

As mentioned they have opened a cafe this summer and I can attest to the deliciousness of the carrot cake and the fruit scones. I am sure all the other offerings are just as tasty. Next time I am in Castleton I will be sure to try some of them.

I found Claire and Robbie to be very helpful and always willing to assist with questions, suggestions for things to do and even an phone when mine would not work. I have already mentioned Rambler's Rest to my friends in the UK and am sure that if I find myself in Castleton in the future I will be booking in with them

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlisoninAtlanta

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stumbled upon this little gem after walking Kinder Scout, so were desperate for a cuppa and cake. A wonderful little place that provided a fabulous selection of homemade cakes (and more) and was just what we needed. Would thoroughly recommend

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ange1468
Reviewed 20 August 2014

It's a long time since I used a B&B but we took a chance on the Ramblers Rest and were very impressed. It was more like a small hotel - the room was a good size, had modern furniture & decor, and a jacuzzi. We had lunch & breakfast in the dining room on the ground floor and both were of a high standard. They also have a small car park just across the road which was very handy given the parking problems in the village. The hosts and staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I decided on 4 stars and not 5 because absence of Wifi, breakfast was 08.30-09.30 which I think is quite late and the biscuits in the bedroom which were out of date & stale. Nevertheless I would certainly use this place again and would recommend to friends if they were touring the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GH24
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We arrived at Rambler's Rest on a busy Friday early evening with no booking! Sadly, there were no vacancies but Claire immediately stopped what she was doing in the kitchen and set to on her laptop to find us a room in Castleton. After a full search, she secured a room for us at another delightful location, which was nothing short of a miracle! We subsequently returned to the cafe during our stay and enjoyed fab coffee and pastries.
Such warm and friendly hospitality from Claire and all the staff - don't miss Rambler's Rest if you stay in Castleton!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hazel S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a lovely little café which could be easily missed. Definitely worth searching out. We ate here with our 3 children after a long walk. Claire was very welcoming and the food was delicious. My husband particularly enjoyed the special super strong ramblers coffee. Can't comment on the B and B as we didn't stop, but if the standard in the café is anything to go by I suspect it's fab.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Simone A
Reviewed 3 August 2014

stayed with Robbie & Claire for a Friday and Saturday.
really friendly folks,great welcome greeted us.
excellent position in the little village of castleton.
handy car park opposite is a bonus.
beds are super comfortable and rooms are really cosy.
breakfast is superb as are the snacks & cakes in the café down stairs.
felt like a little home from home for us.
immediately felt like one of the family.
thanks for a smashing break guys,will be back soon for sure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Munkym
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My children are addicted to Claire and Robbie's milkshakes!

This newly opened cafe is a gem. Nicely decorated and with great service, great food and drinks and the warmest welcome possible. A must visit cafe on your next visit to Castleton.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank paul l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
Swiss House B&B
Swiss House B&B
#2 of 13 in Castleton
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn

Been to Rambler's Rest Guest House? Share your experiences!