“Business Meeting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Etwall B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Business Meeting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I visited the Blenheim House Hotel, (which is under new management) today. I wanted to organise a business meeting. I found the new manager and staff extremely helpful and accomodating.

The hotel had a lovely atmosphere and the staff were very welcoming.

Frances

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Good evening Frances, thank you for your review which we received today. It is nice to know our aim to create a relaxing and efficient atmosphere for all visiting the Blenheim House is happening. We look forward to hosting your meeting.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I visited Blenheim House with my husband and two friends, the atmosphere was lovely, it was cosy with a mixture of history with a modern touch. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. We had all chose different meals from a very good menu, and we were all very happy with the delicious food served to us. I will certainly be visting there again and can recommend you give Blenheim House a go, you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank Jayne M
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

We travelled for our annual night out to celebrate two of our group of eight's birthdays (it’s a long way from Gatwick for a night out, but well worth it given the company we were with and the welcome and service we received here). We agreed on this location on the recommendation of one of our group which had stayed previously before the change to the current owners and I must say how surprised we and happy we were.

We were treated like Kings and nothing was too much trouble. A lot of money has been spent here during their refurbishment and the bar, restaurant and rooms all have a 'clean and new' feel to them which you rarely find in hotels these days.

We spent the afternoon in the spacious bar and then had a very good meal in the restaurant which again we could not fault. The quality of food served certainly complimented the very reasonable prices and there is also quite an extensive wine list which is again very well priced.

I honestly think in the next few months (despite the size of the restaurant) you will struggle to get a table here on Friday and Saturday nights as once the locals get wind that the Blenheim is open again it will become a very popular place to eat.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in this area or want to treat the wife to a very nice meal, give this place a try. I'd be surprised if you left disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for one of the Suite's if one's available, well worth the small surcharge.
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Good morning Lee, thank you for your wonderful review of the Blenheim House, as new owners we are very proud with the finished product and we are pleased that you feel we have got the decor, service and food to a high standard and not overpriced - it is always difficult to get a good balance especially in this difficult market. We are already seeing a gradual increase in bookings for the restaurant and bedrooms and look forward to gowing our business both locally and further afield. Many thanks again for taking the time to write your review it was well recived by all the team at the Blenheim House, regards Phil and Helga Ritchie-Smith
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

This place is fantastic, we stayed in one of the 'suites' - lovely and quirky with old beams and a four poster bed. It was great value for money and the breakfast (included in the rate) was lovely. We had dinner in the restaurant and the menu was simple and the food top notch. The atmosphere and ambience in the restaurant and bar was great and the owners and staff just couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear Annie, thank you for your 'Fantastic' review, it is great to know that you found the Blenheim ticked all your boxes. We believe in giving great serivce and value for money and is our belief that our customers come first and I am glad that you felt this. As a private enterprise it is a challenge to build a good reputation both for food, service and facilities and I am sure we are on the way to gaining this. Thanks again and we hope to see you again very soon, Phil and Helga Ritchie-Smith
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was our second visit but 1st under the new management and I highly recommend staying in one of the 2 suites. Owners very charming and couldn’t do enough for our party and food was amazing and bill very reasonable ( not like London prices ).
Highly Recommend

Room Tip: Go for a suite :-)
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and many thanks for the great things you commented on. We are very pleased that your party had a relaxing and enjoyable time with us, we hope to see you again very soon, and we hope to have our second suite ready when you do, then you will have to toss a coin for who in the party gets to book this one. We are hoping to give it the same WOW! Factor as our Samuel Sleigh Suite. Thanks again, it was a pleasure to have you and your friends stay with us. Phil and Helga Ritchie-Smith
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

Stayed here recently as was attending a party and website looked lovely. I think if I had read tripadvisor I may have thought twice and that would have been shame as it is a lovely hotel with lovely people.

LOCATION
Firstly location is in the very pretty quiet country village of Etwall (think pretty country church and bells peeling). Its only a few miles off the A50 so very easy to find and even better took me less than 15 mins to drive to Derby City Centre to pick up some supplies. Car park is available and can also park on street. All seems very safe. (Hotel is on the main street into the village near the church) Good location as a base for surrounding area.

HOTEL MAIN AREAS
Hotel has a lovely dining & lounge areas very much relaxed and cosy but is still uptodate with a nice country oak beam and without being old fashioned. Plenty of comfy leather sofas where you can sit have a coffee and read a magazine by yourself. The restaurant areas also seem very nicely done too.

ROOM
I must admit after seeing my room I was a tad dissapointed but only because i had raised my hopes by looking at the 4 poster on the website! However I could have upgraded to the bigger rooms for a very small cost. In the end as it was just me I decided to stay in my original room which whilst small (same size as a new travel lodge) was perfectly fine. It was clean/fresh and nicely done - good decor/furnishings - what I would call a higher class B & B (its not a boutique hotel room). Linen was fine. I did find the bathroom small but it was suitable - just a shower in my room. The room had all the amenities you would expect inc hairdryer etc and also some higher class hotel ammenties - mending kit! Flat screen TV, dressing table...bed- well I slept well so the bed must have been comfortable as usually I struggle in a strange hotel. A few other reviewers mentioned noise - I did not hear any noises from other guests or hotel people. You can hear the road as my room was right at the front, however I could have moved rooms, and really at night there was only the odd car going by.

and oh yes the carpet that some other reviewers mentioned - yep its a light sea grass with a few marks- I think sea grass can stain easily more than a carpet. I reckon they should change this but really its not like I am sleeping on the floor.

(PS I think a mini bar would be a good addition here if they could fit it in with decor without looking naff or tacky)

SERVICE
Service was exceptional. I abhor bad service of any kind and I really feel this hotel goes out of its way to ensure you have a good stay. This for me makes up for any shortcomings in the bedroom. When I arrived there was a very friendly lady who helped me settle in and really couldn't do enough to make me feel at home and welcome. The list would be too long of all the little things she said and did to make it memorable. Excellent Service. She was also very accomodating about breakfast encouraging me to have a long lie in (I booked breakfast for 11.30 - which I usually never get in other hotels.)

Booking out was easy and very relaxed too.

BREAKFAST
I never ate at the restaurant which was a shame as menu looked nice and others commented that it was good grub!

I did however have breakfast - and yes there was no menu or buffet style (I hate buffet style its so tacky) - I opted for full breakfast which I believe was local produce ... mmm yum yum
They take your order in the lounge bit so you can sit and read magazines/papers whilst having a drink until breakfast is ready. Very civilised and I like the idea of breakfast being made especially for me.

(IMHO I think they could improve on the breakfast by offering a menu for those that need a menu to order and maybe some muesli and fruit on this, but I believe you can have anything - you just request what you would like. BTW - the champagne menu looked nice and if I was there as a couple I would opt for this to add a spot of luxury.

OVERALL
A lovely relaxed stay in what I would term a higher class type B & B operation. I think as with most hotels small things they can improve on. But the service is great and it made a short stay very nice indeed. If coming to the area again - yes would definately book again. As price was reasonable - same as staying in a chain but far nicer less impersonal and more homely.

IF YOU FEEL MY REVIEW WAS USEFUL THEN PLEASE CLICK BUTTON

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jedisam
Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

A very friendly welcome from the owner and wonderful service was maintained throughout. We were shown to our room and although we weren't really unhappy, we were slightly disappointed. It was clean and well-equipped, but felt cold rather than cosy and the carpet was rough and stained, just not what what we'd been expecting from pictures we'd seen and the descriptions we had read.

Nothing was too much trouble though, we mentioned it and within 20minutes had been moved to a newly refurbished room. (I just don't understand why we weren't put there in the first place?! Or at least given a choice of different standards of rooms available!) Our second room was lovely, cosy, modern decor but still enhancing the old charm of the building, very plush cream carpet and impressive TV! The bed was very comfortable, my only niggle was the lack of a top sheet for underneath the duvet and perhaps the linen could do with updating. Still very clean and comfortable though.

The jewel in this establishment is without doubt the food. The dinner menu had great variety and unusual dishes which were beautifully presented. My partner had scallops and braised pork for starter which looked so good I couldn't resist a taste. It was devine! The service was very attentive and friendly also. The only downside on the food front is a lack of breakfast menu. I found this rather odd and very confusing! There was a menu for a Champagne breakfast though so when I asked for eggs Benedict I was told it was only part of the Champagne breakfast and wasn't able to have it. We were told we could have whatever we wanted from continental and traditional Full English elements though. This was good, but we didn't know what was available so felt like we were guessing on what we were allowed to have when we placed our order. The breakfast itself was lovely, fresh fruits, museli, toast and bagels and a Full English. It's just a bit bizarre that we had guessed at our order. Similarly room service is mentioned on the website and some of their promotional material, but there is no guidance of time-frames or what is available to order.

Overall I would definitely recommend Blenheim House. Yes there are a few issues to address in some of the rooms, but the manager assured me they were being attended to soon. The service and food will not leave you disappointed. Just please introduce a breakfast menu to avoid any further confusion when we come back! We intend to.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etwall
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Farmhouse at Mackworth
The Morley Hayes Hotel

Been to Blenheim House? Share your experiences!