“Surprise 80th Birthday Party”
Review of Blenheim House

Blenheim House
Ranked #1 of 2 Etwall B&B and Inns
Derbyshire England
“Surprise 80th Birthday Party”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having just returned from a superb Celebration Lunch at the Blenheim Hotel that was secretly arranged by our Son & Daughter-in-law for my Husband's 80th Birthday, I have to say that the whole event (which came as a total surprise to us) ran like clockwork, thanks to all those involved. The staff, the service, the food and wine could not be faulted and we all had a wonderful time. Considering the restaurant staff had to cater for eighteen of us (and we are a lively bunch) they did exceptionally well and everyone of the invited guests enjoyed the whole experience.
A big "Thank You" to all staff at the Blenheim and a special "thank you" to Colin and Gill for making what was a Special Day a "Very Special and Memorable Day".

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good afternoon and thank you so much for the lovely review of the food, staff and service at the Blenheim House for your husband's 80th birthday lunch. We enjoyed serving your lively group and what a great group they were, you have some lovely friends and indeed family and the atmosphere in the Radbourne Room was excellent. We hope your husband enjoyed the rest of his day and we look forward to seeing you back again soon. Many thanks Helga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a sat night. Evening meal was busy but no compromise on quality of food and service.

Sunday breakfast was provisionally booked for 945 but we overslept, but guess what??!...we got a polite call in the room just as we were leaving at 11 to see if we still wanted it!! Nice touch- no chance of that in a cheaper alternative...

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good afternoon and many thanks for the great review you posted on the Blenheim House. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and dinner with us and sorry that you missed breakfast which is quite a highlight with us. Maybe next time you choose to visit Derbyshire you will stay with us and experience our Derbyshire breakfast. Thanks once again, Helga
Northampton
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed in Blenheim House this weekend and throughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff were professional, friendly and caring. Just the right mixture of attentiveness which is incredibly rare.

The location is great for seeing a lot of the fabulous scenery in the area.

The food was great both the breakfast and the impromptu lunch we had.

If you are thinking of staying in the area, they you won't go far wrong with this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good afternoon and thanks for the marvellous review of the Blenheim House. We are pleased you enjoyed not only the stay with us but also the lovely county of Derbyshire which we feel very privileged to be a part of. We feel sure you will be back as there is much to see and do in Derbyshire. Many thanks, Helga
Melbourne, UK
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyable evening and meal being a birthday family Saturday evening. Attentive staff, good choices, well cooked food, not too expensive wine list and pleasant surroundings with lots of room between tables. Thank You!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good afternoon and thank you so much for the five out of five review of the Blenheim House. We seem to have ticked all your boxes as far as dining out is concerned and that pleases us immensely. Thank you so much for taking the time to write, Helga
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night when we were meeting friends for dinner. Our meal was superb! I chose scallops for starter, which were melt in the mouth yummy, a lovely steak which was cooked just how I requested, and I shared two gorgeous desserts with a friend so I can vouch for the home made panna cotta and spiced apple and sultana crumble as both being delicious. I think the prices are fair for the combination of good quality of produce, the chefs obvious skill and passion, and smart yet warm and attentive restaurant service. The presentation was stunning and the waitresses tending to our table got the balance right between checking we were happy without overly disturbing us while we were chatting.

My partner and I chose the Samuel Sleigh Suite with a comfy four poster bed and gorgeous en suite. The bathroom has charming old shutters which can be opened so you can watch TV in the bath- what a relaxing Sunday treat! The room itself is a quirky shape due to the character of the C17th building, which I really liked, but there was still lots of space (having a chaise longue is a nice touch!). I loved the old beams, very romantic! The room and bathroom were spotless with lovely white fluffy towels and crisp linen.

I spoke to the owners several times too over the weekend who were very friendly and eager to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. This is a fantastic family run business which takes pride in attention to detail. We travelled quite far to come to the Blenheim and we weren't disappointed! I used to work in hospitality and I can tell these guys don't cut corners.

We were very happy so I hope to return one day!

Room Tip: Would recommend the Samuel Sleigh Suite for a romantic get away!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Well thank you very very much for the fabulous review of the Blenheim House and the facilities we provide. We have had some great reviews and yours is right up there with the best. We are so pleased that you found our family run restaurant with rooms. It is very satisfying to know that we are providing the service, food and bedrooms that make staying away in a privately owned establishment truly special. Thank you so much, reviews like yours go along way to spreading the word, kind regards Helga
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have now stayed at the Blenheim House twice yet to my shame this is my first review! I would go as far to say this is the most welcoming and impressive hotel I have stayed in. The first time I stayed in a suite, which was immaculately presented with impressive original features throughout. The attention to detail was something that stood out immediately and highlighted the care and passion that the staff have for their hotel. I visited last weekend for the second time, visiting friends in Derby and stayed in a room with two singles. I don't know how they've done it but BH has managed to find THE comfiest beds ever ... it's ridiculous. The room again was immaculately presented with a degree of quirkiness/uniqueness that was completely charming.
The food at BH is amazing! Superlatives can not do it justice! My meal of butternut squash soup, followed by turbot was faultless. The fish was cooked to perfection whilst the accompanying sauce was light but packed full of flavour. Perhaps equally impressive was that the staff seemed equally enthusiastic about the food as their customers. The waitresses were knowledgeable and extremely helpful when asked about any aspect of the menu and were genuine in desire to know how the meal was being received.
During both visits I met the family behind the hotel over the course of my stay, it is easy to see their passion and pride in the hospitality that they offer. This enthusiasm can be seen to be infectious with staff obviously enjoying working there as well as being part of something truly special. BH has set the bar for hospitality and each time I return they keep amazing me more.
Thank you BH for a truly incredible time, I will without doubt be returning and urge everyone if they have the chance to visit, it really is THAT good!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good evening and thank you so very very much for the fabulous review you posted on the Blenheim House back in February and many many apologies for not be able to respond sooner. It is great when we receive such fantastic comments and it is good to know that all our staff reflect the enthusiastic and pride that we have in the Blenheim House and that they are passionate about the job they do for us, we do have a very happy team here. Our chef and his team work long and hard and is indeed passionate about his food and it is pleasing that this comes through in the dishes he produces. As far as our bedrooms go we have put a lot of hard work and thought into getting the right ambiance and uniqueness which compliments this great old building and we are still working at it. Thank you so very much for your fabulous review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon, many thanks once again. Helga.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

A group of friends and myself were lucky enough to spend a weekend here to celebrate a birthday. What a celebration it was! The wine was absolutely delicious and the food was out of this world - honestly, melt in your mouth steak - the staff were bubbly and extremely helpful. We settled into the gorgeous bar area for an evening of chatting and reminiscing until it was time to retire to our bedrooms all steeped in period decor. The suites were expansive and beautifully decorated complete with a four poster bed and enormous bath! I would love to visit again - such a short drive from the centre of Derby away from the hustle and bustle.. just perfect. Thank you for having me!

Room Tip: The suites are absolutely incredible!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Good afternoon and sorry for the delay in responding to your perfect review of your stay and dinner at the Blenheim House. We can't thank you enough for the great score and for taking the time to write and hope that you will choose the Blenheim House again when you and your friends get a chance to meet up again. Thank you so much, Helga
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etwall
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
ibis budget Derby
ibis budget Derby
#1 of 1 in Willington
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Blenheim House? Share your experiences!