“A great place to stay”
Review of The Old House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glossop
The Old House
Ranked #3 of 11 Glossop B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while walking the Pennine Way. Great room ,good breakfast and amazing hospitality. Welcomed with a cup of tea and cake both times we arrived in. James and Joane tell some great tales and you can tell that they really care about the walkers that come through. It is just off the Pennine Way,. The only disadvantage is that you have to get a lift into the local village for a meal in the evening but again the hosts are more than helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Old House

Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here whilst walking the Pennine Way. We arrived feeling pretty tired after being blown about by the strong wind on the peaks. We were both greeted by James who immediately offered us a pot of tea in the sun room / cafe which had superb views. The tea was lovely and made us feel much better.
Both James and Joanne are both very friendly and welcoming. The room was very clean and comfortable. The drying room was super to dry our wet boots and clothes overnight. We were offered a lift to the local pub but we were too tired! We both had a good relaxing night's sleep followed by one of the best breakfast's on the Pennine Way. We would both definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed here for one night in March as part of my walking the pennine way. The welcome was great and the room was very comfortable. I was offered tea on arrival even though I was rather earlier than I should have been (sorry!) and was offerd a lift to a local pub for the evening and a pick up later (cost a small amount) Very friendly hosts, smashing breakfast and a good packed lunch for the next days walking. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I telephoned Joanne to book 2 months before a group of friends and I were due to take on a couple of stages of the Pennine Way on a weekend. Joanne replied very quickly to my email and telephone call and accommodation for the five of us was arranged with no trouble at all. We arrived rather tired after walking 16 miles from Edale on the Saturday night and we were met with a very warm welcome and a cup of hot tea, which was very much appreciated! After showering we were offered a lift into town where we could have dinner in a pub (The Old Peels, which was excellent, some great beers and a very varied menu which had won awards - pick something off the specials board!). For a small fee we were picked up from the pub and we had an excellent night's sleep in a comfortable bed and warm room. On Sunday morning we were offered a delicious full breakfast to order and Joanne prepared a great packed lunch for us which was more than enough to keep us going throughout day 2 of walking as we headed to Marsden. Overall a great B&B and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, walkers or otherwise! Thanks again Joanne.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Staggering exhuasted into the Old House having fallen down the hill leading down to the valley this lovely B&B resides in, I was greeted by James, who within moments had russled up a massive pot of the most reviving tea I had ever had in my life.
The lift to the pub in the evening was greatly appreciated and the breakfast was excellent. I arranged a packed lunch for the next leg of my northbound trip and the rolls and accompaning treats were exceptional. As a keen walker I found the facilities really good, radox for aching limbs, massive soft clean towels and a comfortable firm bed to straighten out my buckled joints. Without a stop here I wouldn't have been in a fit state to continue, but after a night of peaceful sleep I woke feeling 100% better and on I went. Very Happy

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My fiancée and I stayed here at the end of our first day walking the Pennine Way. We had got lost on Kinder Scout and it was getting dark as we picked our way along the road to the Old House.

The couple who run this place are very welcoming, and we were ushered in from the rainy night by a warm friendly chap. They have a drying room for damp walking gear, coats, boots and bags. We made full use of this.

Our room was up some stairs and had wonderful old beams and stone walls. We took a lift to the local pub (and made it just in time for dinner). We enjoyed a couple of pints there (Peel Arms in Padfield) before catching a taxi back to the Old House. It is worth noting that the B&B offers to run you to the pub but does charge for this.

The next morning, our breakfast was cooked and very tasty. We also bought packed lunches (ordered the night before) to eat on our way.

All in all this is a clean and comfortable stay with, as the owner said to us about walking, nae mither.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A_Flying_Scotsman
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We arrived in a car in the dark and were shown to a large, comfortable room with en-suite facilities. In the morning we were met by a stunning view across the valley which was almost as good as the breakfast. We were so impressed we even considered doing the 16 miles from Edale on the Pennine Way soon but decided that it's a bit too much at our age. No problem, organise a couple of days walking, let us know where you want picking up from and we'll collect you! We will.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple