“Friendly clean and very helpful”
Review of The Old House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glossop
The Old House
Ranked #3 of 11 Glossop B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Such a wonderful place to stay for our first 3 days of the Pennine Way. Excellent, piping hot, full breakfast; generous packed lunches; clean, comfortable room. Joanne and James gave us a very warm welcome with a generous offer of a welcome pot of tea after each day's walk. We arranged to drive to The Old House and James took us back to Edale for us to start day 1. At end of day 2 James collected us at Standege and took us back there in the morning, he then collected us at the end of day 3 in Calder Valley. This worked really well for us, particularly as it meant our dog could come with us and sleep in the car. We would highly recommend The Old House, it is everything you could want in a B&B. Thank you Joanne and James for looking after us so very well.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Went for a drive with my elderly Mum, spotted a sign saying Tea Room, so glad we stopped here. We received a warm welcome, my Mum needed the toilets which are located in an 'outbuilding', she is not good walking so the lady owner suggested she use the one in one of the bedrooms which was accesed from the tea rooms and unoccupied, how thoughtful.
We were served by a lovely girl, who was very helpful in telling my Mum some of the options available. In the end Mum chose tomato and basil soup with a roll and butter (two pats as well!) I had a tuna mayo and sweetcorn toastie with a 'side salad' - the salad included mixed leaves, onion, tomatoes, beetroot and egg! I had chocolate fudge cake with a separate jug of cream, Mum had a piece of tiffin (actually this was my choice but Mum liked the look of it! )
Tea and coffee finished our lunch, excellent value and excellent food with friendly efficient service.
There were lovely views over the countryside to add to our enjoyment.
I was told I could bring my car right down to the end of the decking so Mum didn't have to walk/struggle back up the slight slope to the car.
I have put 'excellent' in the rooms review because I did see one as I went through to use the en-suite bathroom (toilet!)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Didn't stay here but stopped off on a very cold day after a long walk for lunch and we were so pleased we did. Food just snacks etc but very good quality and tasty. I had a toasted sandwich and was amazed at the amount of cheese and ham inside, was good quality and for such a reasonable price. They do sandwiches, toasties, jacket potatoes and cakes etc. My partner had the scone cream tea and it was amazing don't miss it! Lovely views and very nice patio for summer days,. Very friendly service can't recommend this place enough. I saw a glimpse of a room and that looked very nice too. Go there you won't be disappointed. I'm definitely going back next time I am in the area for a walk.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Having just stayed for a two night break, I can't recommend the place highly enough. Whilst we stayed the the block bedrooms the main rooms look nice.
Our room comprised of double bees and a set of bunk beds with lots of room between. The redecoration was top notch and up together, very clean and warm.. Nice touch the radiator could be adjusted for each room.
The shared kitchen was very well equipped. Showers were amongst the best I have used and loos clean. Automatic lighting to help the environment too.

Breakfast is served in the main house and wonderfully cooked and good quality.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We arrived after a long day's walk from Edale over Kinder Scout, so location was perfect for us. Torside Reservoir at sunrise is absolutely stunning, like a mirror.

The property is very clean and well maintained.

On arrival we were given several cups of tea which was extremely welcome. After a quick wash/freshen up, we were given a lift to the local pub which did great food & beer.

Rooms were all you need for a walking stopover, including a TV and ensuite. the shower was of sufficient strength to actually get you clean (which is often a problem in B&B bathrooms).

Breakfast was up to scratch, plentiful and delicious. Packed lunch was also more than acceptable, rolls, crisps, fruit, something sweet and a drink.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

For our first and second nights walking the Pennine Way we stayed at The Old House. There isn't a lot of competition in the area but that didn't deter them from providing a wonderful experience. They offered us a cup of tea as we walked through the door, the room was great (roomy, clean), bathroom excellent. We had booked a deal where they would pick us up at the end of the second day and bring us back on the 3rd morning and that worked out great. They drove us into town for dinner and back (for 2 pounds per person per return trip). Breakfast was good, especially the coffee.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while walking the Pennine Way. Great room ,good breakfast and amazing hospitality. Welcomed with a cup of tea and cake both times we arrived in. James and Joane tell some great tales and you can tell that they really care about the walkers that come through. It is just off the Pennine Way,. The only disadvantage is that you have to get a lift into the local village for a meal in the evening but again the hosts are more than helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family