“Great views, good food”
Review of The Old House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glossop
The Old House
Ranked #4 of 11 Glossop B&B and Inns
“Great views, good food”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Went there today with family for lunch. On a nice day, the view from the tea house that's part of the b&b is stunning.

Paid just over £40 for the 4 of us (that included cakes and a second pot if tea).

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at the Old House a week ago, having read good reviews on Trip Advisor. Joanne and James are excellent hosts. We were greeted by welcome coffee on arrival, enjoyed the lovely views to the reservoir for a while and were then shown to a very well appointed en suite room. We had already arranged that Joanne would ferry us to and from the Peels Arms for supper.

Breakfast next morning was absolutely excellent - lovely fresh eggs from the chickens roaming around - good bacon, sausage and mushroom to die for.

James suggested that we might like to deviate slightly from our planned route south to travel over Long Hill. His directions were so good that my "nagivator" managed to follow them to a T. Well done James. The scenes were magnificent.

We would have no hesitation in recommending The Old House. It was a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We live locally and noticed a while ago that this cafe and B/B has been refurbished and is open again, we called on Monday on our way back from picking my Mum up from services on the M1, she'd had a nice weekend away in York at my brothers,we called in for lunch, it was nicely busy and we sat outside on the decking, the views are lovely the staff are friendly and the food we had was of a very good standard, lovely soup, freshly made sandwiches, delicious cakes, all very reasonable.
The free range chickens, the pet dogs and the friendly horse that are in the field below all add to the lovely country ambience of the place, will definitely be calling again soon, it's also great that they are open on Monday's.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Hidden away along the Pennine Way, what a haven for us hungry hikers. Good quality food and great value too. We parked our cars did the walk and had a fantastic lunch of toasties all eaten outside looking over the dam. You felt like you were a million miles away from anywhere. The dogs, horse, chickens and sheep provided some extra entertainment.
Will definitely be back as soon as we can.
Ps we peeped inside the bedrooms just in case we fancy staying over next time, they were lovely and clean, very tempting..................

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

Such a wonderful place to stay for our first 3 days of the Pennine Way. Excellent, piping hot, full breakfast; generous packed lunches; clean, comfortable room. Joanne and James gave us a very warm welcome with a generous offer of a welcome pot of tea after each day's walk. We arranged to drive to The Old House and James took us back to Edale for us to start day 1. At end of day 2 James collected us at Standege and took us back there in the morning, he then collected us at the end of day 3 in Calder Valley. This worked really well for us, particularly as it meant our dog could come with us and sleep in the car. We would highly recommend The Old House, it is everything you could want in a B&B. Thank you Joanne and James for looking after us so very well.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Went for a drive with my elderly Mum, spotted a sign saying Tea Room, so glad we stopped here. We received a warm welcome, my Mum needed the toilets which are located in an 'outbuilding', she is not good walking so the lady owner suggested she use the one in one of the bedrooms which was accesed from the tea rooms and unoccupied, how thoughtful.
We were served by a lovely girl, who was very helpful in telling my Mum some of the options available. In the end Mum chose tomato and basil soup with a roll and butter (two pats as well!) I had a tuna mayo and sweetcorn toastie with a 'side salad' - the salad included mixed leaves, onion, tomatoes, beetroot and egg! I had chocolate fudge cake with a separate jug of cream, Mum had a piece of tiffin (actually this was my choice but Mum liked the look of it! )
Tea and coffee finished our lunch, excellent value and excellent food with friendly efficient service.
There were lovely views over the countryside to add to our enjoyment.
I was told I could bring my car right down to the end of the decking so Mum didn't have to walk/struggle back up the slight slope to the car.
I have put 'excellent' in the rooms review because I did see one as I went through to use the en-suite bathroom (toilet!)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Didn't stay here but stopped off on a very cold day after a long walk for lunch and we were so pleased we did. Food just snacks etc but very good quality and tasty. I had a toasted sandwich and was amazed at the amount of cheese and ham inside, was good quality and for such a reasonable price. They do sandwiches, toasties, jacket potatoes and cakes etc. My partner had the scone cream tea and it was amazing don't miss it! Lovely views and very nice patio for summer days,. Very friendly service can't recommend this place enough. I saw a glimpse of a room and that looked very nice too. Go there you won't be disappointed. I'm definitely going back next time I am in the area for a walk.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glossop
Travelodge Glossop
#1 of 1 in Dukinfield
The Woodlands
The Woodlands
#2 of 11 in Glossop

Been to The Old House? Share your experiences!