“A gem in Derbyshire” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Glossop B&B and Inns
Devon, United Kingdom
“A gem in Derbyshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three nights whilst visiting family. Judy and Brian were very welcoming, our bedroom was spotless, with lovely views, breakfast was all that one might wish for, and Sunday lunch in the Conservatory is not to be missed. A quiet little corner of the world but ideal as a stepping off point for either the Derbyshire countryside or for the attractions in Manchester and surround. All in all a gem and we would happily recommend.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I travel regularly on business and have tried most of the hotels in and around Manchester & Stockport. without a doubt The woodlands is my new favourite. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and supremely comfortable with lovely little touches to make you feel right at home. Brain and Judy are perfect hosts - you are treated as a friend as well as a guest and absolutely nothing is too much trouble. I have no hesitation in recommending This place as the perfect to stay when away from home and I'll certainly be back with the family. What a hidden gem!!! Ozzie

• Stayed December 2013
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

After a long drive we were welcomed by our very attentive hosts, Brian & Judy. We were shown to our lovely rooms with amazing views of the surrounding countryside. We were treated to a delicious complimentary afternoon tea in the conservatory/Tea Room, which had just been decorated with very tasteful Christmas decorations.
We cannot wait to visit our family in the North so that we can once again return to Woodlands.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I just returned with two friends from a three night stay at Woodlands. The place is well known for having one of the best tearooms in the area, but it also offers a B+B service. We were lucky to experience both. The place is really charming, with very comfortable and clean rooms with a lot of attention to detail. The breakfast was the best I've had in a B+B: the selection is very large and the full English uses fantastic ingredients and is a total joy. I also got to sample some Bakewell tart, which is the best I've ever had. Most importantly, the owners are really lovely, and couldn't do enough to make our stay fantastic. I thoroughly recommend this hidden gem.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Woodlands Guesthouse, set in the High Peak area of Derbyshire, in the small village of Charelsworth (near Glossop) is without doubt the nicest guesthouse myself and my wife have ever stayed. We first visited in 2005 and since that time Woodlands has evolved from a guest house to a thriving business, which now includes a holiday cottage and multiple award-winning tea rooms. The owners Brian and Judy Mair are fantastic hosts. The awards for Derbyshire’s most friendly landlady are highly deserved. Upon arrival you will be provided with a welcoming drink and a slice of home baked cake. Brian is a superb cook. We have stayed in each of the rooms, including the cottage for a mini break, and all are appointed to a very high standard. An excellent night's rest is assured and a hearty breakfast will set you up for the day. All diets are catered for. We are just one couple of many people who return on a regular basis. If you are looking for a top B&B in the vicinity of the High Peaks please look up the Woodlands, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: One of the en-suite double's has both a shower and fantastic corner bath
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights whilst attending a friends wedding not far down the road. This has to be one of the most friendly and welcoming places I've ever stayed. Nothing was too much trouble for my hosts. From taking me into Glossop to meet my friends, to advising on the quickest/cheapest route back to Manchester and giving me a lift to the station. Not being from the area this was a huge help to someone who doesn't have a car.

The place itself is lovely, with some fantastic views as well as very clean rooms with some nice extra touches you wouldn't find in faceless hotel chains (imperial leather shower gel, paracetemol, aero hot chocolate etc). The breakfast was also spot on, keeping me full up for most of the day! It was also amazing value for money, costing a mere £45 a night for such top class service and facilities.

I would recommend the Woodlands to anyone, especially those who are a little jaded from been treat like just another number by hotel chains. The Woodlands will restore your faith that they're still people left with traditional customer service values who will go out of their way to look after you. Give me that over premier inn any day!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Stourbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed in one of the rooms in the main house when visiting my mother. Having lived in the area all my life I was stunned at how lovely the area is. In the country yet close to village life, and city life if needed. The room was spotlessly clean. On arrival I was given a tray of tea, which comprised of a large pot, plenty of fresh milk and wonderful home made shortbread. There are plenty of places to eat close by all serving excellent quality food. The breakfast served in the tea room was fabulous with fresh fruit, followed by scrambled egg with smoked salmon. Doesn't get much better than that. The hosts are very welcoming and have a great knowledge of the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Johanna13082013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glossop
Wind in the Willows Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester (Hyde) Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Hyde
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Queens Arms Country Inn
Queens Arms Country Inn
#5 of 12 in Glossop
Windy Harbour Farm Hotel

Been to The Woodlands? Share your experiences!