“Despite a couple of niggles, we would go back”

Millstone Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hathersage B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“Despite a couple of niggles, we would go back”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Back from an enjoyable 2 nights at The Millstone Country Inn and despite a couple of niggles, we would go back again. The Inn itself is in a great location about 1.5 miles away from the quaint village Hathersage, which is home to the final resting place of ‘Little John’ in the local churchyard. The surrounding area is spectacular and the Inn has a relaxing air about it although it could do with a slight update. We checked in at the bar which doubles as a reception and the staff were obviously short of hands, which was reflected in the Full and P/Time help sign outside. We were disappointed to find our room did not have a bath only a (spacious) shower but that was our fault for not specifying a room with a bath when booking. We stopped in the Stanage Room, which was on the front and overlooked the busy road and large car park. The bed did not have a duvet but old fashioned blanket which set my wife off whizzing so we took that off and sleep under the sheet and bed cover both nights – this may have something to do with the Inn being ‘dog friendly’ but I cannot remember the last time I saw blankets instead of the duvet . The bar was busy and we had an enjoyable meal the first night and 2 well-cooked breakfasts both mornings. The lady who served the breakfast was a fountain of local knowledge and told us about the market in Bakewell on Monday which was fantastic and well worth a look! We would come back to the Millstone Inn but would want a room with a bath and also a view over the fabulous Peak District, rather than share the view with the car park.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet nights sleep, bath and great view do not book the Stanage Room, although the bed...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
basilbrush1960, Owner at Millstone Country Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your review, sorry you had a couple of niggles wish you have said something about your bedding we have spare quilts if anyone has a request for one, we use 100% woolen blankets and Egyptian cotton sheets as for the AA Standard at the time but peoples preferences change and may be its time we looked into this. I am a bit old fashioned and like crisp sheets and the hug of tucked in blankets.
Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Millstone in the future
jerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
newcastle
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Tom the barman is great. Food good, real ales excellent. Have breakfast lunch and dinner with your mutt. Lovely area, Hotel located up a steepish hill so walking to and from the village centre was a bit of a trek.

Room Tip: Burbage is beautiful.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We are just back from a lovely bank holiday weekend spent at Millstone Inn to celebrate our mother's 70th birthday, there were 6 adults staying in 3 rooms, all of them en suite with great views over the countryside.
The staff were very welcoming and extremely obliging, helping us to arrange and decorate the table ready for our celebratory meal, nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and service second to none with a good choice of real ales available at the bar.
The rooms were very comfortable and clean with double glazing and extra glazing to eliminate road noise, we slept both nights with the windows open and didn't have a problem.
Breakfast was excellent with a really good choice and again nothing was too much trouble.
All in all a wonderful stay, we can't wait to come back

Room Tip: Burbage is excellent with a single room included
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I went to the Millstone on a 3 night break and was not disappointed. I was allowed to take my little dog Maisie and at the end of our stay she hid under the bed and did not want to leave. I can find no fault with anything. The welcome, the facilities and the staff were all excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and I felt looked after which I think is very important. There was no pressure to eat there but after sampling the breakfast I did enjoy my evening meal there every evening. Breakfast selection was very good and they were happy to do any combination of cooked breakfast that you wanted. The evening food was good value for money and good portions add chefs specials and good fresh quality and you could not ask for more. There was plenty of information for the area which meant a choice of places to visit during your stay. I would particularly like to thank Bec's and Jackie, Linda and Tom and I think it was Eileen on my last day, who went out of their way to make my stay a very comfortable and pleasant one. I would highly recommend and will visit again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the Derwent which was a lovely room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have just returned from a 2 day stay at The Millstone and would definitely recommend it. The service is outstanding. All the staff that we met were so friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were excellent. Porrige and Smoked Haddock with poached egg being two things that we love to have when we have the time are on the menu. They were perfectly cooked and served promptly. It would be nice to offer fresh decaffinated coffee but that is the only negative thing that wew can comment on. The rooms are clean, beds very comfortable and we had a lovely en suite bathroom. We had asked for a quiet room and were provided with one and we both slept really well. On the first evening we decided to eat there and when we were ordering we were advised that there was a 40minute wait,as they were so busy. The member of staff reserved us a table and we took our drinks to our room, saying that we would come back in 30 minutes.We were phoned 20minutes later to say that our meal was ready and when we went down it was served piping hot within a few minutes. Their sausage and mash varieties in a Yorkshire Pudding are great, after a day out walking. We had venison with,mustard mash,mushroom and tarragon sauce and peas. It was delicious as was the bakewell pudding we had to follow. The next evening we chose to go somewhere else, which was more upmarket but we were very disappointed and wished that wew had saved our money and stayed at The Millstone. We will be looking on their website for their spaecial deals and will be back to explore more of this beautiful countryside,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I went with a friend we got a lovely room it was the derwent room the staff were lovely and friendly very polite we had a meal there it was lovely staff couldn't have been more helpful unfortunately I could only stay one night as had got the virus thats going round but it wasn't the inns fault my friend bought me home then went too spend the other 2 nights it save wasting the whole break I would have loved 2 have stay but wouldn't have been fare 2 the other inn the inn I would stay there again and would recommend it to others as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
East Midlands
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My family and I (6 adults) stayed for 2 nights at the Millstone to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday. We were made extremely welcome from the moment we arrived, were well looked after with no fuss and in a friendly and efficient way for the duration of our stay. My parents particularly had a lovely room (Burbage) looking out over the beautiful Hope valley. Thank you all and especially to Tom for coping happily with my endless requests in order to make this special occasion perfect!

Room Tip: Burbage is beautiful
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
George Hotel
#1 of 4 in Hathersage
The Scotsman's Pack
The Scotsman's Pack
#3 of 4 in Hathersage

Been to Millstone Country Inn? Share your experiences!