“Very enjoyable stay”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed for one night last weekend. A very nice hotel, staff were very friendly & helpful especially Vicky on reception. We had read that the rooms on the ground floor at the front of the hotel were noisy, we stayed in room 21 & nothing of the sort it fact a very large room compared to our friends room at the back.A very good breakfast with a very good choice of quality produce. The only problem we encountered which was not the hotels fault but could done some thing about it was that the room above us there were some VERY noisy children using their room as a gym (I blame the parents for not having any contol, if they read this they will know who you are, rooms 13/14)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 979paul
There are newer reviews for George Hotel

Reviewed 15 October 2013

stayed for 2 nights in superior room 16,really lovely room,bed was really comfortable,
lovely bedding. Staff were pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for both receptionists
that were on duty during our stay.
Will definately be going back.
We have stayed in 4 star hotels that werent as good as this,cant believe it only has
3 stars.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ObiDog83
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Overnight stay just for a little break from the kids.
Standard room, very nicely appointed and spacious (room 2), very comfortable bed with excellent pillows and duvet.
Bathroom clean and modern with a shower that could be used for crowd suppression!
Very peaceful and relaxing.
Food smells fantastic, but a bit pricey for my pocket (£30 for 2 courses).
Not a problem as you have the choice of a fantastic Indian restaurant a very short walk up the road called Maazi.
The hotel is top end price wise at £129, to me £89 would have been its price point, but it's obviously doing very well as it is!
My only reason for not 5 out of 5 stars is the obligatory up front tip! Adding 5%! I'm not against tipping, and very rarely haven't, but tips are given for good service-not used by the management to top up wages.
We're also meant to trust that these tips are actually distributed?
The staff have been very good-nice welcome and very efficient booking in.
Plenty of parking space and very easy to find - Hathersage is tiny!
Not much in the way of shops, couple of impressive looking outdoor shops though.
Pub at top of village, The Scotsmans Pack is excellent, offering a good choice of beers, and a very impressive menu, we were there on a Friday night and enjoyed a live band and a very welcoming atmosphere, well worth a visit.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobGeeves
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I take part in a fell race in the Peaks every year and have tried camping and B&B's but this year I decided to treat myself. What a treat it was!

I had a really quiet and comfortable single room at the back of the hotel and ate in the hotel restaurant. The food really was outstanding.

Whilst it was far more expensive than my previous experiences I did have a better night's sleep and set a new personal best in my race. Overall it was good value for money and I plan to return next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Finwalker
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Booked this hotel for an overnight stay with friends en route to Sicklehome golf course nearby. Initial welcome was really friendly. We had booked what were described as "small doubles" for single occupancy and all four of our rooms were delightful and not at all small!! We ate in the award winning restaurant which was very nice but not cheap! The food was undoubtedly delicious and beautifully presented but to be honest a large bowl of veg on the side would not have gone amiss - I certainly wasn't full at the end! Breakfast was however superb and plentiful - and included in our room rate. Overall a very good overnight stop and I would certainly return.

Room Tip: The small doubles are on the ground floor and numbers 22-24 face the rear and are very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ajcs
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel as we attended a friends wedding at a nearby venue. The hotel itself its lovely and set in a lovely small village. The room was huge and it had the usual facilities. Breakfast was great with a great selection from the buffet and off the menu.

Only downside was being on the ground floor you hear everyone's footsteps with it being an old building, every single floor board squeaked and it proved difficult to sleep through it at times, my tip would be to get a room on the floors above to prevent this.

Overall great stay and would recommend!

Room Tip: Higher floors to prevent noise from floor boards/foot steps above your room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rob D
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This historic hotel offers everything I expected -- tasteful facilities, good restaurant, free parking behind the hotel, excellent service, and perfect location in the heart of Derbyshire. The teddy-bear smiling at me on the bed was an added bonus!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ResidentFrance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Maynard
The Maynard
#1 of 1 in Grindleford

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!