“My Sort of Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“My Sort of Hotel”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

With a colleague I arrived at about 6.30pm after a long drive from Cambridge. The George is welcoming: it is like stepping into a friend’s country home.

After check-in, which was a delightful experience, I was shown to my room (No 10), at the back of the hotel. Whilst in size it was modest it was very comfortable and the free wifi worked well. Mobile phone signal is a bit variable, probably due to the thick sandstone walls.

We had a drink in the bar and chose our dinner: the hotel was quiet and service was exemplary. I’d chosen as a starter a black pudding encased quail egg served with warm Foie Gras with to follow partridge with seasonal vegetables and a poached pear. An elderflower sorbet was served between courses. All I can say is that I’ve rarely eaten better and at the price I’ve often paid more for far less enjoyable food.

Breakfast was excellent with thick slices of really good bacon: a great start to the day.

I’ll go back and I’d like to go with my wife for a short break. There are few hotel I’ve visited on business where Id like to do that.

Any negatives? Not really but when booking do specify a room at the back of the house unless you don’t mind the sound of traffic.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very quiet, a bit of traffic noise at the front.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank jenkspj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our party of three had Christmas Day lunch at the George. However, we were disappointed especially as we had been before a few years ago when it was excellent.
We received a lukewarm welcome and waited nearly an hour to be seated at our table. This meant our section of the restaurant was completely empty whilst we were eating. The hors douerves, starter and intermediate courses were fine. However the turkey main dish was poor, stone cold and the vegetables were solid and very undercooked. To be fair the staff offered to reheat our food but we declined as we wanted to eat together. Altogether not great for £95 per head even though they did throw in a small gift for each person. The tables were covered in transparent plastic tops which you tend to get in cafés, not good quality restaurants. The George very definitely lacks the finesse it once had, and I am sorry to say we are unlikely to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jonhels32
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I only stayed here for one night but thought it a lovely hotel in a picturesque setting. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening as we thought it expensive and not a very exciting menu. However, the breakfast was excellent and I enjoyed the smoked haddock with poached egg. I was also impressed with the Christmas decorations which were very tastefully done!

Room Tip: Room 21 on the ground floor was spacious and comfortable. We could hear the running water of the str...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I almost feel guilty giving the George only 3 stars but the fact we had to move from one of the "superior" rooms at 10pm because it was too noisy leaves me no choice. The staff were very helpful - but avoid room 6 at all costs!
We also ate in the restaurant and the staff again we're very helpful in fitting us in even though they were fully booked. The food is a little over complicated for my taste but very we'll made and beautifully presented with high quality ingredients. Again the service was very attentive.
I might consider staying again but would certainly book a room at the back of the hotel away from the kitchens.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at The George on Saturday 16th Nov in Room 20. We had the worst nights stay we have ever had in a hotel.
The occupants of the room above us arrived back to their room at 2am and were very loud. Following this there was a long period of time where there was banging and loud discussions. After 20 minutes, I tried to ring reception to complain but there was no answer. This went on for some time and eventually I had to bang on the ceiling.
The talking stopped and we thought we would get some sleep. However the gentleman upstairs started snoring. This went on all night and we did not sleep at all. This, coupled with various trips to the toilet, which was very loud with the creaking floorboards, was horrendous.

I appreciate this is an old building and will make noises and carry sound. However, if rooms are not sound proofed in any way, they are not fit for guest trying to get a night’s sleep.

We were hoping to discuss this with a member of staff on our departure but on check out we not asked if everything was ok or if we had enjoyed our stay. We also emailed the hotel seperately 3 days ago but have yet to receive an acknowledgement.

Of the 4 rooms the party had booked all were on the ground floor. All complained about noise from the room above. So if you're going to stay ask for a room on the upper levels or take ear plugs.

On the up side our breakfast we delicious although the portions were a little on the small side.

All in all, a mixed bag

Room Tip: Go for a room on he upper levels or bring ear plugs
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lushy-Leeds
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night (a Saturday night) in a standard double room which cost £159 with breakfast included.

Positives:
- Plenty of car parking space
- Reception was friendly on arrival, and showed us to our room, and staff were friendly and helpful throughout our (albeit short) stay
- Dinner - lovely food, good choice, really struggled to decide from the menu as I wanted to try all of it! Service was attentive to just the right amount. It's not cheap but the food and service is as you would expect for the price. Would recommend booking in advance - we arrived at the hotel at 4pm and booked for that night on arrival - earliest reservation available was 9pm. Enjoyed relaxing in the lounge area before and after dinner.
- Breakfast - good choice and it was included in the price

Negatives:
- Room didn't feel big enough for the price. Inside the door to the room was the bathroom, then a few steps leading up to the sleeping area, which was essentially the double bed and a dressing table with little room for anything else. Faced onto the front of the hotel but didn't have any problems with noise.
- Had to wait a very long time to be served at breakfast - the staff did warn us about this but it was a good 45-60 minutes before we were served (though you could help yourself to the buffet in this time)
- On the way to/from breakfast, had to walk by all the dirty linen and rubbish which the cleaning staff had left outside of the rooms that had already been vacated - don't think this is excusable at any time of day, it isn't pleasant!

If I was rating the restaurant and dining experience alone it would be 4 stars.
But for the price (and the 5% service charge automatically added - bit cheeky, I always tip if service has warranted it but don't appreciate it being obligatory!) I would have expected a better room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

lovely big rooms. food not really up to the high standard of the hotel, not piping hot, lovely lounge. near the railway station if you want to leave the car at home. Good central position in the village. warm hotel with a real fire in the lounge.

Room Tip: a room on the back, no railway noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
The Izaak Walton Hotel
The Maynard
#1 of 1 in Grindleford
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!