George Hotel
US$363
US$315
The Florentine(Sheffield)
US$80
All reviewslovely hotelservice chargepeak districtlounge areasuperior roompowerful showersconessingle roombar menuthe ground floorone night staybooked this hotelwaiting staffrooms are comfortablestaff were welcomingbreakfast was excellentenjoyable stay
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Situated on main road 15 mins from Sheffield but noise not a problem. Gated car park was welcome.Staff welcoming but everything seemed to be rushed. Room was OK and clean but restaurant was uninspiring despite the many AA awards on the wall. Food was OK but not exciting in taste or variety, although breakfast, whist not extensive, was better.
Overall, an OK venue for visiting Sheffield but I'm sure there are better venues in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights attending a wedding nearby. Our room was down the stairs at the back of the hotel - not much of a view, but spacious and comfortable - clean and fresh with a comfy bed and little sofa.

Breakfasts were great - nice choice and good quality. Wi-Fi was excellent and fast. Receptionists and other staff were friendly and welcoming and I loved the reception/foyer/lounge area which was warm and cosy with its fun nooks and crannies.

We weren't able to try the evening meals. But we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

my husband and I stayed one night only but found the whole experience very enjoyable. The hotel is situated on the main rd in Haversage and despite our clean spacious room being just below street level the traffic noise wasn't too bad. We had a couple of drinks in the bar, my husband was very happy with the choice of real ales! followed by a delicious meal in the restaurant that evening. My starter was lovely, and seasonal, warm pigeon breast and salad, my husbands truffle risotto and scallops was divine, as was his trio of lamb. My crown of partridge was perfect. though we had stated prior to dining we wouldn't indulge in dessert we were seduced by the menu and just had to have one each! It was well worth the extra calories.Even a modestly priced malbec was perfect. After a good nights sleep on soft down pillows,We enjoyed a very tasty breakfast, proper local sausages and crispy bacon, even home made lemon curd, the only disappointment was that this wasn't for sale along with the jam and marmalade. All in all a really nice hotel with excellent food a real treat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank qcare
Reviewed 25 January 2014

With a colleague I arrived at about 6.30pm after a long drive from Cambridge. The George is welcoming: it is like stepping into a friend’s country home.

After check-in, which was a delightful experience, I was shown to my room (No 10), at the back of the hotel. Whilst in size it was modest it was very comfortable and the free wifi worked well. Mobile phone signal is a bit variable, probably due to the thick sandstone walls.

We had a drink in the bar and chose our dinner: the hotel was quiet and service was exemplary. I’d chosen as a starter a black pudding encased quail egg served with warm Foie Gras with to follow partridge with seasonal vegetables and a poached pear. An elderflower sorbet was served between courses. All I can say is that I’ve rarely eaten better and at the price I’ve often paid more for far less enjoyable food.

Breakfast was excellent with thick slices of really good bacon: a great start to the day.

I’ll go back and I’d like to go with my wife for a short break. There are few hotel I’ve visited on business where Id like to do that.

Any negatives? Not really but when booking do specify a room at the back of the house unless you don’t mind the sound of traffic.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very quiet, a bit of traffic noise at the front.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank jenkspj
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our party of three had Christmas Day lunch at the George. However, we were disappointed especially as we had been before a few years ago when it was excellent.
We received a lukewarm welcome and waited nearly an hour to be seated at our table. This meant our section of the restaurant was completely empty whilst we were eating. The hors douerves, starter and intermediate courses were fine. However the turkey main dish was poor, stone cold and the vegetables were solid and very undercooked. To be fair the staff offered to reheat our food but we declined as we wanted to eat together. Altogether not great for £95 per head even though they did throw in a small gift for each person. The tables were covered in transparent plastic tops which you tend to get in cafés, not good quality restaurants. The George very definitely lacks the finesse it once had, and I am sorry to say we are unlikely to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family