“Beware the 5% service charge on your total bill”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Overall we enjoyed staying at the George over Easte despite the hefty room charge - but it was Easter. Great location for walking in the Peaks, free car park & internet, friendly staff and excellent breakfast...however restaurant rather pricey and the portions were on the small side. When we came to leave we were presented with a bill including a 5% service charge on the entire bill. Apparently this is included in their t's and c's and I was told to complain to the manager (which I will do) - I only look for a cancellation policy/car parking/internet availability - I certainly wasn't looking for that! If I want to leave a tip I will leave a tip - voluntarily. It left a rather sour taste after what was a very nice weekend in a lovely village.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank S A

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our first night i England we stayed at George hotel, arriving 13 april. It looked very impressed from the outside and expansive, but it was not either of it. It was not a bad hotel but it felt a bit artificiel trying to give a old feeling. The staff was helpful and the room very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at the George Hotel in Hathersage for the weekend with my Dad (visiting family in the Peak District). The staff were very professional and provided a very professional service from the moment we checked in to when they helped book a taxi for us back to Chesterfield.

The stand-out feature for us though was the quality of the room we were put in. The bed was very comfy and given the price, the room size was very generous. The bathroom was particularly good - this is usually where small hotels usually let themselves down - so much so I even made a note of the maker ('CP Hart').

All in all, very pleasant stay and will definitely be coming back with my wife and kids later in the year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

stayed one night as a treat for wedding anniversary and birthday. Hotel is lovely room was lovely breakfast was delicious so no complaints would recommend and would definitely go back. Staff very nice as well x

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CathyBennett030313
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Situated on main road 15 mins from Sheffield but noise not a problem. Gated car park was welcome.Staff welcoming but everything seemed to be rushed. Room was OK and clean but restaurant was uninspiring despite the many AA awards on the wall. Food was OK but not exciting in taste or variety, although breakfast, whist not extensive, was better.
Overall, an OK venue for visiting Sheffield but I'm sure there are better venues in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights attending a wedding nearby. Our room was down the stairs at the back of the hotel - not much of a view, but spacious and comfortable - clean and fresh with a comfy bed and little sofa.

Breakfasts were great - nice choice and good quality. Wi-Fi was excellent and fast. Receptionists and other staff were friendly and welcoming and I loved the reception/foyer/lounge area which was warm and cosy with its fun nooks and crannies.

We weren't able to try the evening meals. But we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

my husband and I stayed one night only but found the whole experience very enjoyable. The hotel is situated on the main rd in Haversage and despite our clean spacious room being just below street level the traffic noise wasn't too bad. We had a couple of drinks in the bar, my husband was very happy with the choice of real ales! followed by a delicious meal in the restaurant that evening. My starter was lovely, and seasonal, warm pigeon breast and salad, my husbands truffle risotto and scallops was divine, as was his trio of lamb. My crown of partridge was perfect. though we had stated prior to dining we wouldn't indulge in dessert we were seduced by the menu and just had to have one each! It was well worth the extra calories.Even a modestly priced malbec was perfect. After a good nights sleep on soft down pillows,We enjoyed a very tasty breakfast, proper local sausages and crispy bacon, even home made lemon curd, the only disappointment was that this wasn't for sale along with the jam and marmalade. All in all a really nice hotel with excellent food a real treat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank qcare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!