“Lovely B&B”
Review of Bramble Cottage

Bramble Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Higham
Bramble Cottage
Ranked #2 of 3 Higham B&B and Inns
Larbert, United Kingdom
“Lovely B&B”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My thanks to Paddy for her welcome last night when it looked like I wouldn't be able to get a taxi there ........long story. So glad when I eventually got to Bramble Cottage. Lovely room, ensuite, immaculate, lots of extras like nice teas, hot chocolate and a small carafe of sloe gin and some dark chocolates - yum! My only disappointment was that I had to leave at 7.30 am as I had a meeting at 8 am but Paddy could not provide any type of breakfast option as it was "too early". Not even cereal and toast although she did apologise twice last night and also this morning as she saw me out. Not the fortified start to the day I had anticipated but perhaps not the set up for business travellers with hindsight, perhaps I should have checked but I would next time. Otherwise very satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank larbert999
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
I am glad that virtually everything met with your approval. With regards to not serving breakfast I apologise yet again, however perhaps you can appreciate that I work hard and very long hours and do have to draw the line somewhere and quite honestly at this time of year I am more than a little tired.
Kind regards
Patricia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Patricia MacKinnon, the proprietor, has built a b&b that exceeded all of our expectations. She, as others have stated, provides those very special and unexpected extras upon arrival and in your room. A perfectly comfortable king sized bed, very new large bath and ample storage. Our sleep was the best in an entire week of traveling throughout the UK. Very clean room, luxury linens, large shower, all in a century's old structure. In addition to the luxury of the bedroom, Patricia, provides a scrumptious English breakfast that is prepared to order. Great eggs, bacon, sausage, locally prepared black pudding (best we have tasted), toast and local jams and jellies. A delightful visit for us that was made very special by Patricia's desire to make everyone's visit there an experience that makes you wanting to return very soon. Also, her recommendation of The Plough in Brackenfield for dinner was also spot on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
So delighted to receive your very complimentary review thank you so much. If ever you should return to Derbyshire I do hope I can welcome you to my home again. Best regards Patricia
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We arrived at the b&b at the earliest permitted check in time of 5pm (!) and found the room to be immaculate with a big bed and lovely little extras. The owner seemed very nice and had her family staying which was fine until we wanted to sleep at 10pm and couldn't because there was too much noise downstairs! I went down to ask if we could swap rooms (the rest were empty and we were directly above the living room!) and unfortunately things went downhill from there. Our bedroom door was thumped and opened up in the night by the kids and no apology was made. In fact we were hustled out the following morning before the published check out time. I was so polite in my request to change rooms - unfortunately it was clearly taken badly. An apology and no more said about it would've been fine! Additionally the house smells badly of smoke. Wish I could rate it higher!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 608Sarah
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Whilst I am pleased you found elements of your stay at Bramble Cottage to your liking I am sorry that you were unhappy with other parts of your experience.
Regards
Patricia
Lowestoft
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Bramble Cottage fulfilled and exceeded all expectations from us in our stay in the Peak District. Paddy was an amazing hostess who clearly understands what people require from an exceptional bed and breakfast establishment.
Her greeting was warm and personal, ensuring that we knew we were welcome in her home.
Her attention to detail was first class; our room (The Lady Bower), the bathroom and the dining room were homely and extremely comfortable. This included two very good nights sleep in a bed that anyone would wish to have in their own home.
Paddy's breakfasts were again exceptional; freshly prepared, even to the point when the poached eggs broke in the pan, Paddy cooked them again until she was happy with the quality. The results were delicious. To order breakfast you were encouraged to complete a menu to ensure you received just what you wanted.
Paddy's kindness went beyond the call of duty on our last morning when the car failed to start and we had to call the AA. Paddy insisted that she made coffee for us as we waited and this allowed us to take advantage of her lovely garden. During this time she chatted to us about her very interesting life and by the end of the stay we had made two new friends - Paddy and her lovely cottage.
We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SassLowestoft
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
How kind of you to leave such a wonderful review, thank you so much. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with me and my lovely Bramble Cottage and I very much hope that you will be back to continue your happy experience.
Hope the car is now sorted and behaving itself.!!
Kind regards
Paddy
Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Well here I am again having spent my second stay of a fortnight at Bramble Cottage. In July 2012 and now again in July - August 2013 my wife and I have returned after using Bramble Cottage as our base for touring many parts of England & Wales...centrally located allowing for any destination even if only to avoid bad weather. Bramble Cottage is as fine a B&B as you will ever come across. Attention to detail the hospitality along with the welcome from Patricia is what makes it a return venue for us. Without doubt we shall stay there again...we've travelled to many destinations and have never experienced better. Yes, nice places are out there but when you find one you can only sing it's praises with a view to guiding would be guests and as a courtesy by way of thank you to Patricia.

Room Tip: We've only ever stayed in the signature room...The Bramble....but I do know the other rooms are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PBIreland000
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
It was truly my delight and pleasure to look after you. I am so pleased that the level of service cleanliness and quality of breakfast still meets your exacting standards .
Thank you also for the wonderful Melton Mowbray pork pie that you brought me - be assured I will be buying some for Christmas for my family to enjoy with me.
Take care you are special people in my heart.
Paddy
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Booked at short notice and my wife are so glad we did, Paddy from the off was the perfect host, rooms were very clean and had everything you could wish for ...especially the very tasty fruit vodka ...think it was a lovely addition to any room.
We only stayed a one night stay but felt so relaxed and at home ......not that we usually have vodka in the bedroom at home honest !! :0)
Breakfast was amazing the black pudding was out of this world one of the best I have tasted....my wife had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg and it was done to perfection .
Thanks for our lovely stay and we will be sure to visit again .

Room Tip: Beautiful views of the lovely garden from the Carsington Room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
I am so pleased that Bramble Cottage met with your satisfaction, it was a pleasure to care for you and I have to agree the smoked salmon smoked over peat from North Uist (not the standard oak) and the black pudding from Stornaway (both in the Outer Hebrides) are very special. As they say in Scotland "Haste ye back". Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review for me and my wonderful house. Kind regards Paddy.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed at bramble cottage with friends and the four of us were really pleased with our choice of place to stay , we stayed 3 days and the hospitality from paddy was excellent , couldn't ask for anything more . Breakfast was amazing everything you could possibly want was available to start your day . Rooms were lovely and spotlessly clean . Thanks paddy enjoyed our stay and hopefully we will be back , if you would have the cheeky Geordie back ha ha

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a complimentary review, it is good to know my guests have enjoyed their stay. I really do hope you will be back again before too long - by the way the banter was great fun and much enjoyed. All the best , pPddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Higham
Santo's Higham Farm Hotel
The White Hart Inn
The White Hart Inn
#1 of 3 in Alfreton
The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
#1 of 3 in Higham
Field View Bed and Breakfast

Been to Bramble Cottage? Share your experiences!