“A Stay of Two Halves”

Kegworth Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
Reviewed 3 December 2013

On arriving at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised considering the price we had paid. There was plenty of parking, the reception area was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. My colleague and I were shown to our room which was perfectly adequate for an overnight business stay. We went down to the bar for a meal and again the staff were friendly and helpful. We ate in the bar off the restaurant menu - the prices were very reasonable and my chicken was tasty.

It all went terribly wrong when we went back to our room. As we turned off the light, we became aware of a loud, whirring noise and, after looking out of the window, we realised that we were in a room directly above a bank of generators. This noise went on all night - fine if it had been a constant noise but it kept stopping and starting so it was impossible to ignore it. Fortunately, I always carry ear plugs however my colleague was not so lucky.

In the morning, the breakfast was fine with enough choice and the staff in the restaurant were friendly and attentive.

When I checked out, it was a totally different story, the 3 people behind the reception desk could hardly be bothered to say hello, even after a cheery good morning from me; one of them did not look up from a computer screen the whole time I was at the desk.

I asked if the hotel had been fully booked the previous evening and when asked why I wanted to know, explained that we had been put in a room directly above the generators and, as a result, had a terrible night's sleep. I was told that the hotel had not been fully booked and, if we had asked, we would have been moved. Now, since we were ready for bed when we became aware of the generator, this would have caused too much upheaval.

The member of reception staff then asked if I stayed in the area a lot and, when I said that we had started doing a lot of business in the area and as a result were sourcing hotels and conference rooms to use on a regular basis, was told that I could be shown a selection of better rooms since "the room you stayed in last night is one of our worse" .... Speechless does not come close!! Why on earth would you put someone in this room if you had others available?

Needless to say, the last impression of this hotel is our lasting one. It's doubtful we would use it again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 224 - the generator stays on all night and it is impossible to sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Kegworth Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is really old and tired, the bathroom was horrible with big black marks on the tiles. There were stains on the wallpaper. There was a annual dinner for a dog club on the same night we stayed and there was constant barking from the rooms. The walls are paper thin so the noise was dreadful. There is a pool so the whole place smells like the local swimming baths, there is nothing that would entice me to stay again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I'm staying here at this very moment, unable to get to sleep due to someone snoring in the adjoining room,, there is a connecting door which I'm guessing is made of a thin sheet of cardboard judging by the high quality of sound transference grrr

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Clusterm2
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed for two nights in February and hotel is nice and as you would expect any large hotel to be. The rooms are spacious and bathroom facilities good. Check in was easy and staff were friendly and courteous. Breakfast was good with a full buffet available. The downsides were my colleague checked in his room and there was already somebody staying in it (he was upgraded to a better room though), food was very limited in the restaurant with most things off the menu as they had no stock and finally the shower would go to scorching for no apparent reason whilst using on moderate heat and could have been dangerous with young children. Would I stay there again???? Yes I would as I believe the hotels standards are usually higher than that.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dorboy23
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Again an excellent family time spent at this child friendly hotel.every year the same staff are still there,that speaks volumes in itself.They recognise the 14 of us when we arrive each year ,and we feel like this is another home from home.service is excellent,they cannot do enough for us,thank you all and see you next year,The Price family xx

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I booked last minute on a cheap deal. I arrived late and checked in. The room was a bit grubby, with cobwebs in the corners, and looked like it needed a good vacuuming. Worst of all, I pulled the chair from the desk to put my bag on it and found somebody elses toe nail clippings all over the chair . it was disgusting. I dont think the room had been cleaned properly, and I wont stay here again. I certainly dont think the rooms justify the "full" price. staff were friendly though.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The hotel was booked last minute to stay overnight next to the airport. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was small but adequate for what we wanted it for, it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a decent size and again was clean and comfortable, we had good access to the pool etc and they supplied the towels etc. We didnt get any noise from the airport so the glazing worked. I would stay here again, we didnt eat here so cannot comment on the food but the drinks were ok at the bar. it was very quiet but it was late October when we stayed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kegworth
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Days Inn Donington A50
Days Inn Donington A50
#1 of 1 in Shardlow

Been to Kegworth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!