“Cannot fault it...”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Melbourne
Derby, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault it...”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Only a one night stay but now wish we could have stopped longer. It was a surprise romantic getaway for my partner and I could not have chosen a more ideal place. The room was perfect... clean, well appointed and had a lovely comfy bed. My request for a chilled bottle of wine in the room for our arrival was carried out. Our dinner that evening in the restaurant was excellent; the quality of the food was outstanding and could not be faulted. All members of staff we had dealings with were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The hearty full breakfast in the morning was very good, well cooked and plenty of it. All in all, a fabulous place to stay and we would definitely book again.

Room Tip: Ask for room 4 - it is a lovely room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Derby
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Nice welcome, friendly staff, comfortable room, huge breakfast and Peroni on draught = couldn't get any better!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EllaThomson
Loughborough, Leicestershire
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This place was amazing. After my last review the management of this restaurant invited me to get in touch. Well I didn't, but out of curiousity I did go back last week.
We had low expectations, and were just hoping for the best. But each course was literally conversation stopping. We just had to pause and say 'mmm...'. I had a wonderful savoury souffle as a starter, and I could have licked the plate it was so good.
Menu prices are really reasonable for such good food.
Other reviews have mentioned the noise from downstairs and that was a bit of a distraction. The open staircase means that it can easily be heard. Also we had to attract the attention of drinkers at the bar, to get them to move out of the way so that we could get to the door on leaving.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rose2009_9
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed for one night whilst attending an event in the area, and I'm pleased to say that the staff were extremely welcoming and accommodating. I found the room to be contemporary and clean, with ample tea and coffee supplies and a digital TV. The bed was comfortable and the curtains thick enough to keep out the light. Although the room was directly above the bar the soundproofing was adequate and I wasn't overly disturbed by the noise even on a Saturday night. The heating was effective and with a thermostatic valve I was able to adjust it for comfort. The room wasn't huge but was plenty large enough for my needs, with ample clothes hanging space and a deep shelf for the suitcase.

I did have a problem with the electric shower, but upon reporting this I was offered both an immediate apology and an alternative room to use. I'd also like to add that the breakfast was outstanding.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are staying in the area, do report any problems promptly and the staff will do all they can to rectify them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stopped for one night whilst visiting friends in this lovely town.
The area is great for walking and the town whilst being small seems to have lots to offer.
We negotiated a discount when booking the room but we would have paid the full price anyway! And certainly would I'd we had know how nice it was. Lovely bed linen, clean and comfortable rooms.
They have a love bar and restaurant and we ate there with our friends.
It really was great food and really well priced. Service and staff were very attentive and made our cost really good.
We will be back but I will try and get that discount again!

• Stayed January 2012
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed at Harpurs the night before we had an early flight from East Midlands.
Staff were very welcoming and friendly, evening meal was served in good time and the food was excellently presented and it tasted wonderful.
What a good choice before to travel and relax in there comfortable surroundings before going away.
thanks

Room Tip: pay the little extra we did and have the suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

lovely hotel, room, and restaurant.
Staff were very helpful.
Great part of the world

• Stayed January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
The Coach House
The Unicorn Inn
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel

Been to Harpur's of Melbourne? Share your experiences!