“Great meal and well organised”

Harpur's of Melbourne
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We ate at Harpurs as part of a large family meal which took up three big tables. Due to numbers we had ordered meals in advance and the choices were fairly limited as could be expected but plenty of variation offered to cover all requirements.

The starters were fairly small in quantity but the sauce on my mushroom was very tasty indeed.

Mains were served quite promptly after we had finished the starters and I got chance to see all items on the offer. I had the platter which was a selection of meats with beef, pork and turkey. It was accompanied by a couple of roast potatoes and a large Yorkshire pudding. Vegetables were served separately in a bowl and were brussel sprouts, parsnips, carrot and leeks. They were prepared looking 'natural' and just lightly cooked. They were fine for me but for those that prefer softer veg it wasn't so pleasing.

Desserts were excellent and I had opted for the stem ginger pudding which was accompanied by a flat piece of brandy snap. Adventurous and very tasty!

As it was a few days before Christmas we were visited by Father Christmas and a very attractive female elf! We all got chocolate coins and then sang a few carols to him to put us in the Christmas spirit. After he departed we played a great game where we sang 'The twelve days of Christmas' with pairs of people singing each section.

A great event and a fantastic start to what we hope will be a wonderful Christmas and the start to a great new year. A place I would be more than happy to go again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Alanshep, Manager at Harpur's of Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thanks Mark for your kind review, hopefully see you over Christmas for a pint or two????

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had heard very good reviews from close friends about Harpurs regarding the quality of the food and the accommodation, I believe there is also live music most weekends. The rooms were very clean and modern and the food was excellent. We combined the break with a 5 mile walk picking up coffee shops and public houses on route whilst enjoying looking in the many gift/craft shops in the centre. Harpers seemed very popular with a nice atmosphere. Would highly recommend Harpurs

Room Tip: Read reviews regarding noise from the bar, I used room 4 on the very top floor and had a good nights...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks Pete, come and stop with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have eaten a few times and have always been really impressed. The food and service both great, along with the décor and atmosphere. I saw an advertisement for a Gourmet evening so I decided to go with my family and introduce them to this fantastic establishment.

Well…. Where to start. The food was amazing and so much thought had gone into the menu and the smaller touches. My family described the tasting menu as superb with lots of surprises, textures and tastes with incredible descriptions and knowledge from the attentive staff. Drinks were topped up throughout the night and nothing was too much trouble. Every guest attending the evening seemed over whelmed by experience. Tom and Hannah who were in charge of the evening were great and very professional along with their team.

Will we be back? Absolutely!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for the great review. Keep an eye out for next years events, we have some great nights coming up. Hopefully will be seeing you over the Christmas period for a drink.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed in one of the smaller rooms in this hotel,but it was very well appointed,quirky with an excellent shower room.Now to the food.I ordered what I thought would be the usual pub grub fish and chips,but what I got was the best plate of fish n chips that I've ever had.Beautifully presented and absolutely delicious.Chips served in a little basket,sides served on a lovely little side plate,superb.My partner had the rump steak,which I was lucky enough to sample,done medium rare,it was better than the steak I had at the Bellagio in Vegas.Try this place.ps,not what you'de call expensive either.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Harpurs, Manager at Harpur's of Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Better than the Bellagio ! Wow now there is a compliment, delighted you enjoyed your visit, many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had friends come up to stay over on their way to Alton Towers, so we decided to get them a room at Harpur's, right in the centre of Melbourne
and ideal for people coming up the M1. It is a very nice pub, serving great food with a few clean and very comfortable rooms so we knew our friends would be happy there. We met them for a drink after they had checked in and they said their room was lovely, clean, spacious, with a very nice en-suite and, as we found out the next day, a very comfortable bed. After a couple of drinks we had a superb meal and then finished our night off with a couple of night caps!! It was a very,very pleasant evening.

The next morning we picked them up and found out they had had another night cap before retiring, they had had a great breakfast and that they would be very pleased to stop there again. Our trip to Alton Towers was thoroughly enjoyable and, on the way back we had another nice bottle of wine at Harpur's when we collected their car. It's great when everything turns out well!!

My friend is going to put her own review up as well, so, well done Harpur's … you have some very satisfied customers here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Alanshep, Manager at Harpur's of Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Many thanks for your kind review, Melbourne is a great market town with lovely walks and at this time of year our log fire is roaring to warm the cockles.
We are currently in the final for best "Gastro in Derbyshire", the food is delicious so thanks for the feedback.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I took my partner here for what I hoped would be a nice relaxing quiet evening and overnight stay. Bit of a mistake...
Choose your night very carefully. We went on a Saturday. Harpur's is a very busy (and pretty loud) local bar. On arriving, the staff were too busy with a christening party to give us a proper welcome and run down of facilities. By the time this party had died down, the bar was full of Saturday night revelers, including a local football team. If your idea of fun is trying to eat, (then sleep) above 2 rooms of smart casual types getting drunk, go for it. If you're looking for a quality romantic evening, forget it.
The food is mixed in my opinion. My steak and chips was lovely. But other dishes on the menu are a confused mix of styles, regions and flavours ... couscous, rocket oil and salmon with pak choi anyone?? The cooked breakfast was good though.
Service throughout is generally poor and nobody seems to be in charge. Harpur's is all style over substance. The food is artistically served on wooden boards, as seems to be the trend, but I would rather have well trained staff and some attention to detail myself. Anyone can buy nice tableware. And it's so loud when you're in the rooms upstairs! Take ear plugs! I would score the place lower but to be fair the rooms are clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Go on a quiet night, a Monday in January for example.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen W
Alanshep, Manager at Harpur's of Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Strange that this is your only ever review?????
I do apologise if we are a popular pub restaurant that has lots of people in, this is the first complaint of noise I have had so difficult to comprehend.
If you would like a quiet place with no atmosphere and have the place to yourself I can recommend several locally.
Thank you for your kind food comments.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We thought why not stay over and eat at Harpurs. We had heard it was good so we did. We were not disappointed the meal was fantastic. Great presentation and we thought good value for money. The steaks were amazing. Service friendly.
The rooms were comfortable and clean and very good value for money at £40!!! Certainly we will be going back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alanshep, Manager at Harpur's of Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Many thanks look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
The Priest House by the River
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Harpur's of Melbourne? Share your experiences!