“Spa Cabin” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Shottle B&B and Inns
Leek, United Kingdom
“Spa Cabin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The Spa Cabin can be hired by the day while staying there or, if available, by non-residents like us.
Really good: private with sun loungers, hot tub, sauna, shower and lounge with TV etc
Lovely location, great service and delightful cold platter (extra).
A great anniversary treat.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smotyndu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Hertford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My beautiful wife and I spent our 10th wedding anniversary with the wonderful team at Dannah Farm and what a lovely time we have had. I would strongly advise all guests to order the Supper Platter for your arrival as it is amazing and filling.....the breakfast is to die for with fresh bread made on the day....our little piece of paradise is the Studio Hideaway with the hot tub on the decking.

Thank you Dannah Farm team for wonderful hospitality and service.

Kevin and Alicia

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KevinCoghlan
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

A beautiful working farm, where my wife and I were made most welcome by all. Fantastic scenery around the farm which is located down small quite country lanes. We stayed in the Studio Hideaway a lovely clean comfortable room with a private spa bath. I would recommend this place to all that want a leisurely relaxing few days away and heartily recommend the wonderful breakfast. The people are lovely, the area beautiful and the rooms comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeanTaylor44
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

There is much to like and enjoy here, but what are they actually selling?

Farmhouse B&B? Well no, not really what one might reasonably expect. Yes, the local countryside is stunning and it is a farm, the business is primarily located in their old farm buildings. But it lacks the personal, friendly quality of such a B&B. They seem to employ masses of staff, but no sign of the owner.

On the other hand the rooms are of a standard you might expect to find in a "boutique" country house hotel and it's definitely not that either!! Yes, the prices are what such an establishment based in the Cotswolds would charge, but, ummm, actually it's based on a really rather scruffy farm yard, NOT a lovely little manor house or some such. Whilst they have excelled in decorating the rooms, they are dark and lack any views. No pretty garden or outside seating. Very limited, inadequate hospitality tray in the room. Yes, we were offered tea and cake on arrival, but weren't told it would be charged at £4.75 extra over and above the £220+per night of the room. They offer an honesty bar, but no complimentary water in the rooms! Yes, there are some very limited spa facilities, but there's also a substantial charge for their use. (By comparison, at my local lovely country house hotel, use of the very well equipped spa and pool is complimentary if you're staying there).

Breakfast? Well, again lots to like and just what you would expect from a nice farm B&B at half the price. At the rate charged, it just wasn't good enough. A help yourself table with juice, but not freshly squeezed/pressed, cereals, etc. Tinned grapefruit segments on display and a tired fruit bowl hidden at the other end of the room. A standard English breakfast, well cooked and use of excellent local ingredients. But for the price I feel they should be offering full service and a much wider menu choice (Egg's Benedict, Kedgeree, Pancakes, etc?) and such extras as pastries, croissants, fresh juices and fruit platters, homemade preserves on the table (not sticky jars on the side table) a much better choice of yogurts, etc, etc!

I would definitely visit the area again, but would not recommend Dannah Farm. The owners have created some beautifully decorated and well equipped rooms, but their charges do not accurately reflect what they're actually selling. This is a farm B&B with glamorous, but misleadingly well photographed bedrooms.

To give some perspective on my comments, we went on to stay at a Middlethorpe Hall, a National Trust Historic House Hotel at York. It was a quite exceptionally good experience at every level - accommodation, service, facilities and breakfast were all fabulous - and we were charged £160 for bed, breakfast and use of their spa. Which was £60 LESS than Dannah Farm Country House!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank LizaMAB
Ravensett, Owner at Dannah Farm Country House, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Oh dear - we do really try to make all our guests stays memorable and enjoyable, but have so obviously failed here, and can only apologise that your stay was not at all to your liking.
I do think that such an unhappy review needs a detailed reply and so here goes!

Firstly, I am so pleased you enjoyed our beautiful county and it is such a pity that you do not seem to have noticed our large beautiful gardens, packed full of herbacious plants in the cottage garden style with arbour and seating - and also our orchard with lovely views down the valley and again seating where guests often enjoy their complimentary tea/coffee and cake on arrival. The key word is complimentary - we NEVER, EVER charge for our welcome tray. (If guests later on in their stay order afternoon tea and cakes we charge £4.75 per person, but there is never a charge for the welcome tray).

Martin and I are - what you could call - "hands on" owners. The lady in the kitchen cooking breakfast is not staff - its me, the chap sat on the mower - mowing our extensive gardens (!!) - is Martin. As we haven't been away this year at all we must have been around on your visit. Having said that, as you have noticed - we do employ a lot of staff in order to keep our standards exceptionally high - all our "Dannah Farmers" are local and, as anyone running a business will tell you - staff is very expensive. I'm really sorry if you thought we were not "at home" but we definately would have been.

We are not, as you have mentioned - a "lovely little manor house" in the Cotswolds. We are a working farm and, although we try our best to keep the farm tidy, farms do come with machinery, farm buildings and occasionally even weeds and mud! However, this is, hopefully, balanced out by the fact that we sit amidst 150 acres of beautiful countryside, with lots of beautiful footpaths, idyllic walking - and large, lovely, carefully maintained gardens!

Most of our rooms are, in fact, in the main house. The ones in the converted buildings though tend to be the most popular as they are more "unique". The pictures on our website, do, I thikk, give a fairly accurate idea of what guests can expect in the rooms. They are all deliberately different as everyones taste varies.

I think, what for me stood out on this review was the comments on the hospitality trays we put in the rooms and the breakfast table with TINNED GRAPEFRUIT! Firstly, as a 61 year old I can honestly say I have never bought a tin of grapefruit in my life. We painstakingly fillet red and white grapefruit and oranges fresh for our breakfast table.

Personally I don't care for miscellaneous preserves that I don't know the origin of. I like to see a named jar of preserve so I know what I am eating. At the moment we have Duchy organic srawberry preserve, two varieties of Frank Coopers marmalade, Mackays Scottish raspberry preserve, Tiptree blackcurrant conserve, etc., etc, as well as two varieties of local honey and also Manuka honey on the breakfast table. I do also make my own jam but the damson has all been eaten and when I went up to the orchard on Monday to pick the blackcurrants for jamming, the blackbirds had stripped the lot! We use local "Langley Farm" yoghurt and this morning had - vanilla, mandarin, hazelnut, blueberry, rhubarb, black cherry, srtawberry and blackcurrant, as well as natural and a bowl of greek yoghurt.

Now to the "inadequate" hospitality trays. (Sorry but I am a bit niggled). I have just been into one of the rooms and the tray consists of: Wrapped T bags; breakfast tea, peppermint, camomile, green tea, decaf tea and a wide vaiiety of fruit teas. Sticks of Nescafe coffee plus decaf coffee, sachets of hot chocolate and horlicks, sticks of demerara and white sugar and also individually wrapped sweetener and biscuit. Also, each room has a Tassimo for fresh coffee with pods of Columbian and medium roast coffee. The milk is UHT, although guests can ask for fresh milk if they prefer. I'm not sure what else we could put on there?

Middlethorpe Hall looks stunning - but - their tariff for a double ranges from £199 to £499 so I would say bagging a room at £160 was an absolute bargain - let me know how you did it? The spa also looks brilliant but is, of course, for all guests to use. Our spa cabin is £99 for EXCLUSIVE use for the day, 12.30-9pm. It is set in its own grounds, has a large hot tub, Finnish Sauna, double steam shower, living space with flat screen TV, honesty bar, etc., etc. Guests love it as it is completely private, once booked, NO ONE ELSE can use it, hence the price charged.

To sum up and answer your original question, I believe we are selling a - hopefully - relaxing , unique stay in an un-fussy environment, amidst beautiful countryside on a working farm with stunning rooms and excellent food - and carefully maintained gardens - at a realistic price.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The room we booked was luxurious and comfortable. After watching television from the comfort of the jacuzzi bath we lounged about on comfy sofas and enjoyed the peace and quiet . The breakfast was gorgeous as was the platter we ordered in the evening. The staff were all very friendly and I fully intend to return to experience all the luxuries in each of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank KateBramley
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a lovely time, lovely room, lovely situation, it would have been nice to stay longer to do a little more other than enjoy the room - apparently there are circular walks from the farm and you can take the dogs for a walk, sounds lovely. Nice suggestions for days out too. We knew this would be the place for us as previous bad reviews criticised the 'hands off' management. Indeed we were left in peace on our lovely romantic weekend exactly as we hoped. That is not to say that we didn't receive a warm welcome, and the owner enquired at breakfast if all was going well, so we had ample opportunity to ask for anything we needed. There is also a phone in your room to ring with requests. Why people would need more was a mystery to me!

One thing I wanted to know before our visit and couldn't find in other reviews was the size of the Ecclesborne sauna. Described as 'bijou' I was worried it would be a squeeze. But it's comfortable for one, you can't lie down but can sit with your feet up and your back against the wall. Two can fit side by side if you know each other well ^^ Not much room to move but it's cosy. We are quite large too so smaller types should have no bother :D

This is a very expensive place for us (they almost lost a star for price but I couldn't do it in the end!) but if I were rich I would not stop until I'd tried every room. We had a lovely weekend and will almost certainly be back, but might be a few years before we can save up again. The breakfasts are splendid and will last any person of normal appetite for lunch as well. Very much recommend this place.

Room Tip: The Ecclesborne is a good bet as already contains a sauna and very relaxing spa bath