“Great stay.”

Rockingham Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Tideswell B&B and Inns
“Great stay.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

First I would just like to say the review on 24 may 2014 had us a bit worried as to what to expect. Well there was no need as this is an excellent b&b with an great helpful host. Nothing was to much trouble even making our dog welcome bearing in mind she was wet after a long wet days walking from baslow. The room was great loads of room with comfortable bed and excellent shower. We were early for our breakfast which wasn't a problem as she was getting her children ready for school so we helped ourselves to cereal and she made us a pit of tea. When we got our breakfast it was well worth the wait everything we needed for our days walk to Buxton. After breakfast she was very chatty and contrary to the review on 24 may we found our host friendly and genuine. Lovely b&b a must stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I'm genuinely confused by the reviews praising the host - whose name I don't even know to this point as she never introduced herself to us. On arrival, my boyfriend and I were greeted with a cold reception and a brief tour, all the while feeling as though we were an inconvenience.
She again seemed irritated later when we went to find her to ask about breakfast and check in time, given that she hadn't bothered to give us this information on arrival. Again she was abrupt when giving my boyfriend the wifi password, pretty much reading it out before he'd had a chance to write it down and then declaring 'I don't think it matters' when he asked if it was lower or upper case (I think the general public is aware that passwords are case sensitive). She was in a somewhat better mood at breakfast which itself again bore no resemblance to positive reviews we had read, at all.
Our ensuite bathroom was nice and modern, but the room itself was in need of some TLC. I generally love staying in B&Bs all over the UK and value the efforts of the hosts, but I have never felt so unwelcome as I did at this establishment and have no desire to ever return, we were made to feel a nuisance the minute the 'host' opened the front door and laid eyes on us. I would not recommend it to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Maz M
rockinghamlodge, Owner at Rockingham Lodge, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I'm sorry if I came across as unwelcoming on your arrival but I'm afraid your arrival 1½ hours before check-in took me somewhat unawares as I was still in the process of completing the room changeovers.
If I appeared distracted while I was showing you around, it was because I was trying to work out in my head whether there would be any knock on implications of moving you to the only room available at that time.
I purposely don’t mention breakfast times as where possible I let guests decide when they want breakfast rather than impose time restraints on them. Likewise with check-outs I try to be flexible.
We have updated the information packs within the rooms to state that the internet code is not case sensitive.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We booked here as a night away for a Valentines Day treat and booked the super king size room...It was beautiful and the owners couldn't of been more helpful. The room was so warm and cosy at night and the service the following morning impeccable and breakfast was to die for! The bed was very very comfy so much so I didn't want to get out and everything you need for a lovely weekend away it was just a shame that we couldn't of stayed longer. We went t The George around the corner for dinner in the evening and the food was lush and only a very short walk through a stunning village. All in all a weekend to remember as my other half proposed here so it will always be memorable for lots of reasons but we'd come here again in a heartbeat. Keep up the amazing work guys :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Herts
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Lovely double room with superb bathroom. Several good places to eat nearby. Decent breakfast - excellent quality produce. Lovely house with interesting layout and comfortable looking guest lounge. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two weeks ago , place is lovely and the host couldn't do enough for us. Rooms were nice too the photos don't do it justice! Breakfast was great and I even got a vegetarian sausage! Highly recommed

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Rockingham Lodge has a three-bedroom appartment in the same building as the bed and breakfast rooms, occupying the first floor (i.e. above ground floor) in the north wing (left as you look from the front). The two of us took it for a week for a break booked at the last-minute and enjoyed it a lot. Two rooms have super-king beds and the other a twin (though I think they are all zip-together twins under the covers). All have lovely duvets. Each room has a bathroom sharing a perfectly adequate kitchen (although no dishwasher), sitting room with three sofas and a private patio at the rear.

The building is old and there's a slight smell of damp in the downstairs corridor, as is common in old stone buildings, but the upstairs accomodation is warm, dry and cosy. Tideswell is a great village, too, plenty of basic shops and pubs in the town and lovely walks and cycling right out the door, although the appartment has a good selection of games and DVDs for rainy days, too.

We recommend the Red Lion in Litton (20 mins walk) and The Anchor on the main road to (10 mins to the north) has having great food and beer. The Horse and Jockey was good for beer, too.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the darkest but we chose room 2 as the most secluded from the rest of the house.