“Not as good as it was”

Vanilla Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Tideswell
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: See the web site!
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Often stopped by here for takeaway sandwiches (have a cottage close by) but disappointed by the selection recently. Seem to have gone back to standard fare since the change of ownership. Ordered Coronation chicken baguette, it was solely a baguette with sandwich filler & no salad. Pity to find a downturn as Tideswell is promoting itself as a foodie centre

4  Thank Liz W

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stopped here for coffee and cake whilst on a walk in the area. The coffee was fantastic and so was the cake , but the piece was huge! I had to take half of it out with me. Excellent value and good to sit outside on a nice day.

2  Thank shirleyeSheffieldUK
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was charged £6-75 for beans on toast and a cappuccino my a not too friendly owner. When the other people owned this cafe i got scrambled eggs as well at that price. When I left I said thankyou goodbye and didn't even get a reply. Well many cyclists have used this cafe over the years and if this owner doesn't change her attitude they aren't going too like my mate and I.
At the Florist cafe in Ashbourne I had smoked salmon scrambled eggs 2 crumpets and a fantastic coffee for £6-50.

4  Thank stevemanns
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having researched several tea-rooms around the Tideswell area, we were delighted to see that the Vanilla Kitchen stayed open until five o'clock on a Sunday afternoon. With this in mind, we organised our day out so that, after a days walking, we could reward ourselves with a tasty meal at the end of it, in the pretty village of Tideswell. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we thought this would be a perfect ending to a lovely day out.

Imagine our disappointment then, when we arrived at Vanilla Kitchen at five minutes past four, only to be told they were no longer serving anything other than cakes because of the time. Why not make this clear on the web-site, then people will know exactly what to expect? How misleading! The sparse variety of cakes did nothing to inspire us and, in any case, because we had deliberately not eaten during the day, thinking we were going to treat ourselves later on, we were, by this time, really hungry so wanted something more substantial than cake to eat. We decided, therefore, not to stay and had to return home and start cooking. Not the end to a lovely day out we had envisaged. Clear advertising would have been appreciated.

2  Thank Relaxed33
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have visited this cafe of and on over the years and the previous owners had freshly baked bread and cakes and the food was second to none with very prompt efficient service.

But having visited since the change in owners I was disappointed to find the quality and service was no longer there. The staff were welcoming but not terribly professional, there was a lot of shouting to someone in the kitchen about leftovers and it took sometime before someone actually went behind the counter so I could place my order. Given I was one of only 3 people in the place I would have expected someone to show interest in me a lot sooner.

I came in for breakfast so ordered a hot filled roll with sausage and a pot of tea. What a disappointment, the sausages were budget quality and hardly browned and seemed to have been heated in a microwave rather than freshly cooked. The roll was no better and was one of those cheap precut ones you can buy in bags of 12 from a supermarket. I also had some ketchup with my filled roll but again this was a cheap variety and was not nice.

It seems a shame that somewhere based in Tideswell (a village which has a great foody reputation) has not taken advantage of the great local produce on its doorstep.

1  Thank PeakLass