“Don't expect 4* for £30”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tideswell
The Star Inn
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Don't expect 4* for £30”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Some previous reviewers need to get real. I stayed here for 3 nights last weekend. Room was a little tired but clean, tea tray fine, church bells charming and bathroom as expected. After a long walk shower was excellent and room cosy. Evening meal was ok, Better food available nearby but again, it was only £6.95. Breakfast excellent. Gerry and family very welcoming. Overall great value and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I don't know where the person before has stopped but that's not the star inn I remember, the rooms may be dated but were very clean I agree that the land lord and their family made me feel welcome and it also makes you aware on their website the bathroom is shared with their family.
The food it's great and reasonably priced and all the locals are lovely and welcoming would definitely recommend to stop here for the warm welcome and good food!

• Stayed January 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed at the star inn for 2 nights, it was the worst b&b I have ever stayed in. I was put in the small single room. The room itself was right above the entrance to the pub, this is where all the smokers stand, with the window open just slightly the room stunk of smoke.

The room was very dusty, had cob webs on the wall and ceiling and was genearlly very old fashonied (and neglected). The hot chocolate and coffee sachets provided both expired the previous year. The bed creeks with the slightest movement and the room was not attended to in the day (ie towels / cups not replaced)

The only bathroom was shared with the 3 guest rooms and the b&b owners. It was very out of date and nothing like the picture on the website.

Wifi is not provided at all times as adveristed, they turn it off for a couple of hours during the pub quiz to stop their customers cheating! The quiz goes on quite late and the pub is generally quite nosiy. If you want to get to sleep before midnight then forget it.

The brekfest was greasy and you are seated in a dingy section of the pub that stinks of stale booze from the night before.

I almost walked out but couldnt find any other local accomadation. I probably would have been more comfortable sleeping in my car.

On the positive side the B&B owners were quite friendly but that does not make up for the dire accomadation. I certainly will not be going back and do not recommed staying there!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank James D
starinn55, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
We are very sorry that you weren’t happy with your visit, and we’d like you to know that the problems you highlighted with the room have been remedied.

The Wi-Fi is now advertised as unavailable during the quiz; this was an oversight on our part.

However, I feel that the bathroom is modern and up to date; it has not changed since the displayed photo was taken.

Our full English breakfast is the most popular, which is freshly cooked and is made to individual preferences.

I’d also like to mention that rooms can be cleaned during the day, but we will only enter guest rooms when asked to.

Thank you for your valuable feedback,

Landlord
Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

As the welcome here was warm and friendly, I'd love to be able to write an excellent review; I always aim to plug decent dog-friendly accommodation. Regrettably, I don't think I'd be tempted to stay here again despite the friendly reception and reasonable prices. The bed in room 2 was very uncomfortable. The other point not mentioned on the website is that the bathroom is not only shared between the three guest rooms, but also the landlady and family. There is a sign in the bedrooms telling you not to occupy it between certain times and you feel like you're imposing. The breakfast was fine, but nothing to write home about...value sausages, instant coffee, underdone toast and a carton of milk on the table. It's clearly a struggle for the proprietors to earn a living in the current climate, but with a little investment in the basics (a new mattress to start with!) they'd have happy customers returning here year after year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Barneysboss
starinn55, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
We would like to thank you for your feedback and reassure you that steps have been taken to improve our service.

We never want our customers to feel uncomfortable, and certainly not like they are imposing. As such we now advertise that the bathroom is also shared with our family, plus the old signs in the rooms have been removed. I’d also like to clarify the bathroom is no longer reserved at any time.

I also agreed with your opinion on the bed in room 2, which has been replaced since your visit.

However, I would like to mention that we do not use any ‘value’ products in any of our food. All our breakfast ingredients are all premium brands; though from your comment it appears the presentation of the breakfast could have been better.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you would reconsider staying with us again in the future,

Gerry Newman, Landlord

(ps sorry for the lateness of the response, we have only just claimed our TripAdvisor page.)
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed here as a family of 4 this past weekend, the rooms are a little dated, but comfortable all the same, but all we needed was somewhere to sleep, the pub itself is lovely and jerry made us welcome and suggeted places we might like to visit, the breakfast was the best i have ever had at a b & b, fresh and plentiful,the pub food was great too, we ate there twice during our stay and it was reasonably priced. overall it was a lovely relaxing break

Room Tip: we had the large room, normally for 2 adults and 1 child, but as our children are quite young they t...