“Good Food”

The Horse and Jockey
Ranked #4 of 7 Tideswell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A group of 8 of us stayed at the pub on Saturday evening. The food was good quality and homemade. 11 of us sat down for dinner and 9 out of the 11 rated their meal as very good,. Unfortunately, the soup wasn't very flavoursome and the steak and stilton pie, that my husband ordered, was dry (looked like it had been sitting under the heat lamps until everyone's meals were ready).

My party of 3 were in room 6 - a family room, which was large and clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The pub is old and the bedrooms could do with a lick of paint as there was mildew on the bedroom wall down the side of the wardrobe. However, that said, the room was fit for purpose and was reasonably priced.

8 of us sat down to breakfast the following morning. There were mini boxes of cereal, a perculator of coffee was available for you to help yourself to and the waitress brought us a large, fresh pot of tea. The waitress took our order for the cooked breakfast; couple of things:-

No fresh juice was available and we were not asked how we would like our eggs - it would be nice to have poached or scrambled, if required and the toast was only brought to us when some of us had almost finished our breakfast.

However, the breakfast was absolutely fine and set us up for the day.

Overall, the horse and jockey is a good value establishment and the food is lovely, homemade fayre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JueWilly41

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Staff very friendly. Food good and excellent value. They catered for 23 of us when we returned for my mum's birthday. Love the area and the pub/ B&B. Dog friendly which is a must for my husband and I. Would recommend if looking for basic B & B accommodation. Definitely not the Ritz but clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Liz W
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Horse & Jockey is a lively village pub which seems very popular with locals. The menu offered a range of typical pub food at reasonable cost. The staff were quite friendly and provided good service. We would visit again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed in room 1, a twin bedded room for two nights. I found hairs on the bed linen and had to ask for clean linen. I was told by the member of staff, as we changed the bed, that the room didn't get used very often.
The room and ensuite both require a thorough deep clean. For example .... a dirty mirror over the wash basin, Imbedded dirt under the taps, the toilet pedestal full of stains and the toilet brush is disgusting and should be replaced. A small plastic swing bin for rubbish on the floor near to the TV is also full of marks on the lid.
Into the corners of the room the carpet if full of dust and fluff and would benefit from a thorough vacuum including behind the bed and no I didn't pull out the bed, you just couldn't help but see, as the bed linen didn't cover the bed properly.
I also found a piece of biscuit on the carpet. Tired and basic may be acceptable but dirty NO.
The door to the room was also difficult to lock and the member of staff did say it does stick.
On my final morning at breakfast I witnessed a heated discussion with another guest and staff which moved towards the kitchen door and was handled very unprofessionally.
All in all based on my experience of my stay in Room 1 and what I would say was just adequate service and breakfast I will not be returning to the Horse and Jockey.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Rosina F
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Spent the last night of a 7 day walking trip at the horse and jockey with 7 friends.The pub we found warm and friendly clean and tidy.The staff were very helpful and the rooms were clean we all had a peaceful night.Though we never had evening meal the breakfast was best of the week.Many thanks would return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank steve b
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Popped in for sunday dinner while holidaying in tideswell girls behind bar was nice but the food was not my roast pork was dry and tastsed off and the mash was cold. maybe caught them on a bad day... but the pub itself seem nice and charming shame as i wouldnt return.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Jockey for a few nights so we could visit the Tideswell area and take in the sights. There is much to see in the area and something for everyone really as there are many nice small shops as well as local sights for those looking to get out and hike for the day. We were able to take in some evenings in the pub at the Horse and Jockey and really enjoyed the company and atmosphere. Finally and most important each night we were able to get a good night rest and start the next day fully rested. Highly recommended to anyone looking to enjoy the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family