“Let down by the food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Let down by the food”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I visited Le Mistral on a Saturday evening. We had been once before a year or so ago, when we found it to be average but as we only live a few miles away we thought we should give it another try and went with open minds.

First, the good stuff. The restaurant is quite appealing in a 'shabby chic' sort of way. It is housed in a small retail unit opposite the market place in the historic part of town. There are a handful of tables at ground floor level although there is also a basement where the bulk of the covers are situated. We dined in the basement which was a comfortable temperature and had a nice lively atmosphere.

The staff were friendly and the service was good. The printed menu offered a good choice in addition to a decent range of dishes on the specials board. We chose garlic mushrooms and blue cheese on toast and moules marinieres as starters followed by entrecote steaks with the optional black pepper sauce for mains.

The wine list also offers a good range of wines, not just French even though this is a French-themed restaurant. We had a bottle of Chapel Down Bacchus as an aperitif and with the starters followed by a Chilean Pinot Noir with the steaks. Both wines were served at a good temperature and were very nice indeed.

However now to the not so good stuff, which was the food. In fairness the mushroom starter was ok. However the moules were very disappointing, and it should be remembered that this is a French-themed restaurant. The dish was very under-seasoned, the moules themselves were lacking in flavour and the sauce had no flavour of wine or garlic and just tasted like thin, watery cream.

The steaks were very average. Again they didn't taste like they had been seasoned and both were slightly over-cooked, although not so much as to be worth complaining about. The peppercorn sauce was too thin, too little of it and again pretty tasteless, I think due to (again) a lack of seasoning - and peppercorns!

The dishes came with fries which were the (now ubiquitous) frozen 'skinny fries' which would have been ok if they had been in the fryer for a couple more minutes. As it was they were pale and a bit soggy.

By this stage we were so disappointed by the general standard of the food we didn't order desserts.

I'd love to be able to give Le Mistral a higher rating because the service, ambience and wine list are all strong points. If I could give it two and a half stars, I would. But when we go out to dine we really go for the food, and that's what lets this place down.

Shame because we so wanted it to be good.

1 Thank David B

“Very Nice”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lovely meal fairly well priced staff very attentive - thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Will definitely visit again

Ilkeston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had the chicken breast with Camembert and had plenty of green beans and 6 potato halves which was more than enough for me. It was slightly bland and I think the cheese could have been more mature before it was used to get the true taste coming through.I was given 3 large scoops of pistachio icecream, which was delicious.3 of us had different things,including 1 glass of wine, 3 courses at an average of £17+, was good value, I thought.
I was there 2 weeks before on a Tuesday and had the mussels and beer, which was good. I would have been liked to be asked which beer, I preferred, instead of just been given the 'Blonde',but otherwise it was excellent.The service is always good and it is cooked to order. The 'frenchness' and cellar surroundings are lovely, if a little dark at times.I enjoy going there.
Bridget Leech

derby
“Rip off”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I paid £14 for a great sounding chicken breast stuffed with Camembert, was astonished at the miniscule portion that arrived, Smallest chicken breast ever, 5 green beans and 5 small potato halves....had to go home for something to eat, you can get away with this down the Kings Road, not in a cellar in Wirksworth, total rip off

Decorah, Iowa
“Delightful”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a wonderful lunch here on the Wirksworth garden tour day last Saturday. The downstairs section of the restaurant is such a pleasant and unexpected surprise that we were almost taken aback. The prix fix two choice lunch was exactly what we needed and loved in this charming little gem of a place. Our waitress was a young lady who had travelled the world recently and not only gave us fantastic service but was a delight to chat with as well. Don't pass this place by if you ever visit this captivating and lovely little berg in the Derbyshire Dales.

• Visited June 2014