“A fantastic find! We love this place!”

The Northern Light Cinema
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Wirksworth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A fantastic find! We love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have visited the charming Northern Light Cinema three times now over the last year and have totally loved it every time! I have never heard of any venue like this before and look forward to going - and tasting the cocktails - again very soon! The only minor downside was that on one of the trips the micro kitchen was not open and I was really looking forward to one of the excellent cheese boards that I had tasted on my first trip - there were other snacks such as crisps and peanuts available so we didn't go hungry and on our third trip we had some amazing food. We always visit a fantastic little B&B close by and now try and book there when we know there is a great film on so we will always be able to visit Northern Lights. I can't wait to to return and would encourage anyone in the area to spend an evening here. I am so pleased we have found this cinema and will certainly be returning many more times in the future. Thank you Northern Light Cinema. Three great nights!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank yma2013

Derby, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent addition to the town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I am so very pleased that Wirksworth has its own little Arts cinema now! A bijou 52 seater. I now only go to this cinema to see films - it is a five minute walk from my home, I always meet people I know and so we can talk about the film over a drink and some food (quality of drink and food is very good, and reasonably priced).

It is interesting to see new faces from all over Derbyshire (and beyond) beginning to discover its charm. It has been open less than a year, and of course they have had so iron out a few 'hiccups' but the welcome you get is so warm and they listen to what you have to say - even as far as encouraging people to suggest films for the future.

As a member I get reduced priced tickets, which is great, and our favourite is a sofa seat for 2 with a bottle of wine - £25. A real bargain!

Colin H

Visited February 2014
1 Thank colin h
Derbyshire
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Intimate independent venue for films & performances”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Lovingly refurbished independent cinema. Approx £6.50 - £12 a ticket. Wines, beers and soft drinks available. Small menu for pre show dining. Comfy sofas & armchairs, the cheap seats are beautifully upholstered but not very comfortable for more than the average length of time of a film (90 mins). Take your drinks in with you. There have been some supply problems recently and the "platters" we ordered weren't available, or any non carbonated non alcoholic drinks (which we weren't informed of prior to attendance despite booking over a week in advance. Membership available - £25 a year and gives you a £1 off each ticket and 2 free tickets. Members can also suggest films/theatre etc to be shown. It's great for couples, friends or even to go alone. Book early as space is limited. Great not to have to sit through mainstream movie adverts. Steps into the pleasant bar area and steps up to the cinema then down to the seats - may benefit from a handrail for those less mobile. Toilets clean. Wine & food quite expensive but claims to be organic and locally sourced where possible. Friendly staff.

Visited February 2014
Derby
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Visited this fantastic small cinema last week while on holiday close by. it shows all kinds of different films to suit all tastes, has a great bar, the staff are always helpful and the atmosphere in brilliant. We'll worth a visit.

Visited January 2014