“Great food and lovely landlady”
Review of The Farmyard Inn

The Farmyard Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Youlgreave
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a super place for a great meal - wonderful service and gorgeous food. We are going back for curry night tomorrow

1  Thank pixiebunny

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Nice pub seating is enough and warm inside- had a really nice dinner and it was an ideal location as we were on holiday, just staying immediately over the road.

Despite the nice young lad behind the bar assuring us dogs were welcome we did not feel welcome at all with our dogs in the pub. We found the lady behind the bar (I assume the landlady) to be quite rude about it and loudly saying to locals in the other room that she wasn't happy about it. We can hear you. So taken off a point there.

I also asked for a pint at the bar and was asked twice by the same lady if I meant a half before she would pour it. If I had meant a half, I would have asked for it :) and if you don't serve pints to women then say so - so I can find a pub that will. You're one pub of 3 on that road! Yes I acknowledged the glance from the locals and you looking at them, then to me. If it offends you so much then put up a sign! At the door preferably.

It's a shame because we would have paid a visit at least another couple of times during the stay as the location was so good. But as this happened on our first evening and shortly after arriving we felt unable to return.

4  Thank Suparuku
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and i booked a week in Youlgreave and went to the farmyard inn with my sister and brother in law yesterday and tonight went back with friends from the area, another great night , food excellent and a landlady who went out of her way to accommodate 8 of us at short notice! Highly recommended and the liver was to die for!!

1  Thank savasStAlbans
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It is not often I feel compelled to jump onto my laptop and "rave" about a place...however The Farmyard Inn" warrants it!

My girlfriend's parents rented a cottage for the week in Youlgreave / Youlgrave - we took off for the Saturday evening to this pub. On entering were welcomed by the barmaid (who could have been one of the owners) and walked in to find a bustling bar area, a small but fab bar offering a selection of cracking ales and roaring fire.

Just (more than) a lovely. traditional English Country pub. We came back on the Sunday for some food as the menu looked rather good. The food was delicious - locally sourced and great value. I had the rack of lamb (for £12 it was fab and coming from a keen cook and foodie that's bloody good value) the other meals were also excellent! Such a selection too, diverse and all sounded appetising and the soups! Well, right up my street!

The barmaid on the Sunday was absolutely fantastic! Friendly and could have happily stayed all day and nattered to her.

I can't wait to go back and sample more of those local ales!

A fabulous pub with great friendly staff in one of the most beautiful villages in the UK!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visited The Farmyard Inn today for our dinner, we had been to Monsal for a walk, and get chilled to the bone. I, as always, was hungry, but we didn't want to got to the Monsal head café as it was absolutely rammed.

We decided to have a run over to Youlgreave and have a quick walk there then find a pub.

We found The Farmyard Inn, and what a joy it was to find a roaring open fire, I sat as close as possible (without sitting on it) and looked at the menu. Utter joy, they have a carvery, today they had 5 different meats to pick from, 3 blackboards of specials and the normal menu.

There was a choice of 5 homemade soups (I love soup) Tomato and basil, Leek and potato, Spicy pumpkin, Stilton and broc and I cant remember the last one.

I had the Leek and spud soup, which comes with half a warm bagette. It was delightful, really warmed me up, also the fire did assist with the warming of me.

After my soup, I was still hungry, but really didn't fancy a full meal, so I ventured to the boards and decided on a ham sandwich which comes off of the carvery meat, none of the plastic pretend meat.

Again, DEVINE!! The ham was gorgeous, it was still warm. YUM.

The bar staff were very welcoming and lovely, the bar holds probably 20-24 people for eating and another 10-15 standing room, I think there is a back room, but didn't venture that far. Upstairs is the dining area for the carvery which probably seats 20-30.

The food is well cooked and quickly served. It is best advised to book, they do early birds menu from 5pm, and serve full menus from 6pm.

We went in at 12.30ish, and there was only 3 others in, who looked liked regulars, by 1.15, crikey, it had really filled up. Plenty going for the carvery, and they all looked very full and happy when they came back down.

Its my dads birthday next week, and I cant wait, because we are going back!!!!

I would recommend here for anyone who likes good well made food.

Oh, and if that wasn't enough, the main bar is DOG FRIENDLY!!!! YAY!!!