“Really nice country pub”
Review of The Nelson

The Nelson
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited a couple of evenings ago while staying locally - staff really friendly and welcoming... Nice selection on menu and some really good specials on the board! There were six if us and two kids - we all had something different and every said how nice their meal was .... Portion size was also really generous - kids meals really nice too ... Desserts we're also really nice again with generous portions!

Would certainly recommend!!

1  Thank 53anc

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I rented a cottage for a week in Burnham Overy Staithe - the pub there, The Hero, was so bleak that I preferred to drive a few miles to The Nelson.. The staff were positive, welcoming, chatty and very natural with professional, swift service and a ready smile. The dinner was had was hearty fayre, well-cooked and good. My daughter needed to do some work and their Wi-fi was excellent and the staff were SO accommodating in finding her a quiet corner for her work. This is a village pub in the true sense of the words - welcoming, accommodating and pleasant. Well done!

1  Thank MaricaPolo
Reviewed 16 April 2014

To be fair we only wanted morning coffees, but were made just as welcome as if we were in for Sunday lunch, very comfy leather settees, free WiFi and very nice coffee. The menu and eating area looked lovely, would definitely visit again and have something to eat. 2 coffees were £4, we were expecting this to be more expensive based on the location - we have been charged more for poorer service and surroundings.

1  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Went for family group of five. Food was good, but . .three of us had mushrooms for two because they had run out. Plus we were seated next to group pf twelve out for a party
Felt disappointed

Reviewed 24 March 2014

That's what I thought of this place.

When I first walked in I looked at the leather sofa's and thought oh no I hope this isn't one of those little pretentious pubs that tries to punch above it's weight but within minutes that horrific thought was blasted out of my mind when we a) looked at the menu and b) looked at the specials board.

There was nothing pretentious about it at all. The food offered was simple and would appeal to those who would love nothing more than quality home cooked meal.

I had the Butterfly Breaded King Prawns and the wife had the mushroom soup. I could have just had a plate full of those prawns as they were delicious. My wife enjoyed the mushroom soup too.

For main we both had the lasagne and this was nothing short of delicious. Bear in mind that my wife is 1/2 Italian and between her and the mother-in-law I have had some very good lasagnes so for us to give this a huge thumbs up is a great achievement!

The staff were great too. They looked after us with ease but also there was another could in there with a child and they took the time to interact a little with the child. (and the parents but we all know that it's much more fun to talk to the little ones!)

We will be back there later in the year without a doubt!