“Fantastic, relaxing stay.”

The Hoste
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
“Fantastic, relaxing stay.”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Having seen The Hoste on a dog friendly hotel website several years ago, I have finally managed to convince my husband to take his girls (the dog and me) to stay there. What a wonderful time we have had. My husband booked room 24, a lovely ground floor suite which was spacious, clean and well appointed. We dined in the restaurant both nights and had two superb meals washed down with some lovely wines. The staff were delightful, both us and our canine companion were extremely well looked after and can't wait to return.
Ps I urge you not to take notice of the previous trippers comments regarding room 24 and can assure you we did not see any chandeliers shaking or hear any tea cup stirring!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank NicolaJBell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

As you may know, this pub has recently gotten a new owner. This owner has hiked prices up. Plus I would check your change if you're getting drinks at the bar and pay with cash because twice I've been shortchanged in the last couple of weeks.

Cleanliness is very high in the Hostes Priorities and this is one thing in Exceeds at.

The food is okay it's not great but it's okay, but With the recent departure of the longest serving head chef Aaron Smith, We'll have to see if the kitchen changes significantly.

The rooms are Hoste very nice, Although I don't expect a very nice view normally of a carpark or a building site..

Whether new owner attains his five star rating he wants is yet to be seen; I personally think it's unlikely. Locales will have to be more included by the lowering of prices so they are not out priced.

Personally I've only seen the Hoste go downhill since the new owners.

• Stayed November 2012
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We booked a 'Divine' room at the Hoste a few months ago for my birthday treat. Having read some very mixed reviews about both the hotel and restaurant just a few weeks ago I began to wonder if we'd made a mistake. Within a few hours of arriving last Friday we found that we had!

We checked in between 3 & 4 pm and had checked out again around 7pm with a vow not to return.

We had booked room 24 which was situated in the annexe, the courtyard wing I believe, opposite the Spa. Or first disappointment was that upon entering the annexe our room was on the ground floor immediately on the left hand side as you entered and directly at the foot of the stairs. This meant everyone entering this section of the annexe (serving 6 rooms we were advised) would pass within a couple of feet of the entrance to our room. You may wonder why this is an issue. Well, had noticed the door entering the annexe did not shut properly so already a liklihood of the door banging. In addition there was no security i.e. no key required to get in and the door to the annexe was pretty flimsy, as was the door to our room. So, a security concern was apparent and there was no safe in the room. This is where I really began to wonder if this place was all it was cracked up to be.

I stated immediately that I was concerned about the possibility of noise disturbance and was advised only 6 rooms were accessed this way. Still a possibility of 10 people tramping up and down the stairs though! Upon entering the room, the bed was almost immediately opposite the door meaning a lack of privacy for anyone in bed if someone entered unexpectedly, and more the style of an american motel.

The room itself was lovely. It was opulently decorated with a gorgeous bathroom and separate double shower. The bed and linen were of good quality altho I noticed the bottom sheet on the bed was not big enough for the bed and could barely be tucked in both on the sides and at the head of the bed. I can only imagine what state the bed would have been in after a night's sleep had we actually stayed.

So a lovely room but then really started to deteriorate. We had a snooze having had a busy week BUT found it was really difficult to do so. We started to hear people stomp up the stairs as they returned to their rooms to get ready for dinner. This was disconcerting enough but when we heard what sounded like a herd of elephants in the room above (I am really not joking!) and the light fititng, chandalier style, shaking and tinkling as a result we started to get angry. THEN we could hear people in the room next door talking and could also hear them STIRRING THEIR DRINKS. Yes, we could hear the sound of a spoon being stirred in a china cup!!

At this point we questioned what this weekend was about. It was supposed to be a break with some peace and quiet to relax and celebrate my birthday. At £250 per night (and Friday night dinner thrown in) I did not expect to hear the guests in the room above and next to us. If we could hear a teaspoon being stirred in a cup (with the TV in our room on may I add) then the liklihood of having a restful night's sleep was remote!

My husband went to reception to speak to 'the manager'. Unfortunately the only other room available that night was a very small room and even tho' my husband saw it he said it was tiny and unsuitable. The manager offered us that room for Friday with the opportunity to move to the room opposite room 24 for the Saturday night. What the point was of moving to the opposite room with identical noise issues is beyond my comprehension!

My husband told the manager we would be checking out within 10 minutes, which we did. What angered us both more than anything was the apathy of the so called hotel manger. He made no apology whatsoever for the shortcomings of the room even when we both returned to reception to hand the key back in. I did in fact comment that I was astounded that no apology was forthcoming and he still made no attempt to placate or apologise which actually angered us even more. He did eventually made a whimper of sorry but it was clearly not genuine and I do wonder whether this man could fight his way out of a paper bag, or indeed was qualified to manage any customer facing establishment. In fact the member of staff manning reception chipped in over the manager and made an attempt to placate us by saying that if there were squeaky floorboards then they do their best to eliminate the squeaks etc. I told him I would EXPECT squeaky floorboards in an old establishment BUT where there was a conversion of outbuildings or where an annexe was purpose built I expected there to be adequate sound proofing.

In all my years of staying in hotels in the UK and abroad (from basic B&Bs to 5* hotels) I have never experienced such noise issues in a room and to expect anyone to pay £250 per night for the privilege is insulting to say the least.

This hotel is an example of a glossy veneer and nothing to show underneath - in terms of staff and building structure.

We found 2 other establishements to stay over the weekend instead. They were not as opulent on the surface as the Hoste Arms but they more than made up for that in quality of service and friendliness. Real places with real people. Not a place reliant on its past reputation and feels it stands above the comments of its clients.

ps I also note we are not the first people to comment on the noise levels in this room. Hoste Arms please take note!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank janeys60
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Possibly the best all round property we've stayed in for many years. Starting with the lovely setting across from the village green through to the fantastic food and character accommodation. The Hoste attracts a mix of local and travelling customers and there's a feeling that you've been there before! A welcoming log fire in the busy and friendly bar to huge comfy sofa's in the reception and general areas. In my view the difference between a good business and a great one is the staff. Scott and his team worked tirelessly throughout our stay and is a real asset for the Hoste. We've booked a cottage nearby for Xmas and cannot wait to return. Fantastic

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5 at the front of the Inn overlooking the green - Its a large comfy room and we ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Leicestershire
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I chose the Hoste Arms for a number of reasons; many of my friends had recommended it to me, it is in a lovely location and the main reason being, we could take our dog

Burnham Market, is lovely; I especially liked the art galleries, the small independent retailers and the quaint coffee shops. Visited many beautiful beaches from here including Wells-next-the-Sea and our favourite, Holme-next-the-Sea

Wanted to stay in room 10 but unfortunately it was only available for one night so we opted for room 14 [superior room]. The room was perfectly adequate and had a luxurious feel compared to rooms in other hotels we've stayed in [Briarfields] but it was on the small side and the shower was over the bath which is still perfectly acceptable, but not perfect. The bed however was perfect ... it was large and squidgy and I slept like a log. I also liked the fact that the room had a small window at either end so there was a lovely gentle breeze

We chose to eat here one evening and I must say, the food was superb as was the breakfast. There are plenty of staff milling around all day and they were all very pleasant and made me feel like a valued customer. I did notice a number of the restaurant staff fooling around and whilst I like people to be professional, they did make me smile

In my opinion, the rooms / restaurant are a smidge expensive [although I believe they do Winter deals] and we had to pay an additional £15 for the dog but I would still definitely recommend / return to the Hoste again

One last thing, if you visit Burnham Market or the Hoste Arms, be sure to visit their toilet ... it's gorgeous! (lol)

Room Tip: Personally, I would choose to stay in Vine House but unfortunately for us, dogs are not allowed!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My partner and I stayed for a couple of nights in half term with our two young children and our dog and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming - the lounge and bar were both buzzing but not crowded. We had room 7 on the top floor of the original building which was full of character and perfect for our needs - a separate sitting area with a sofa bed for our 7 year old, who was very happy to have his own TV! The only downside (which really isn't the hotel's fault) was that the floor boards were very squeaky which made tiptoeing around with sleeping children rather tricky! The room was also quite dark which wasn't a problem for us but might have felt gloomy in the Summer.

Contrary to what I have read from other reviewers, we found the staff to be extremely helpful, polite and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. The food in the restaurant was fantastic (sea bass, yum) as was the cream tea.

We can't wait to go back here - it's a great base for exploring the coast and Burnham Market itself is beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma W
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Have stayed here on two occassions both in mid August 2010/2011.We stayed at the railway inn owned by hoste and 5 mins walk to hotel for breakfast etc.Parking is an issue in Burnham Market but at railway inn each has private parking.It is only 5 mins pleasant walk to hoste arms for meals ect village green and shops .We found the whole experience very good food excellant.Plenty of places to visit only a short drive away Holkham beach and hall,Brancaster,Wells and many more .Prices are fair but there are deals on offer out of season .We paid £175 two nights two people with full English breakfast free tea and coffee as you wish in Hoste Arms or gardens.Would recommend a visit as a treat for a couple of days .

Room Tip: Consider Railway Inn to hedge against parking issues in busy times also quieter location.Rooms all t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!