“The dog approves”

and 1 more site!
The Hoste
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I have been visiting The Hoste for over fifteen years now. On the whole I have always had pleasant stays. It does feel slightly more corporate/commercialised now but that is to be expected with the success they have achieved over the years.
I love Burnham Market and the North Norfolk area/coastline. The area does attract some chinless wonders but they're harmless enough. I love the fact that everywhere is dog friendly. I find it amusing that some people have complained about the Hoste allowing dogs there. They promote the hotel on that basis and it is widely advertised on their website and literature.
I have stayed in all the different category rooms apart from the Vine House (not dog friendly). I have not experienced a poor standard from Devine room to standard double.
Food and service is generally good. Breakfast always seems to be of a good standard but I have had some below average lunches and evening meals.
Brendan Hopkins introduced himself to me on our last visit while I was waiting for my girlfriend to get ready. He was very pleasant and spoke of his committment and love for the Hoste. I'm sure he will carry on the high standard that the Whittomes had.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Marcellio

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Hoste. Six of visited and ate in the restaurant both evenings.The food and service was of a high standard. A special mention must go to Edward and Sheila, who gave such excellent service.
Our room was large and well designed, the bathroom was awkward and not very user friendly. There were some nice touches such as Molton Brown toiletries but the toilet paper dreadful! Our room was in the Spa building and the heat was just too much, we turned the radiator off and opened the window then resorted to turning the air con on, this was noisy and caused us to have dry eyes and throats as a result we had very little sleep.
We were also overlooking the building site, this was not mentioned at the time of booking. Some of the construction staff were smoking on site, they should have a designated area away from guests.
If I was in the area I would return for food but not to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Missfoodlove2305
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was saddened to experience such a different atmosphere during my time visiting the Hoste. it seems that the welcoming friendly hotel I have stayed at previously has turned into an unfamiliar corporate and soulless place to eat and sleep. Another gem seems to have disappeared, which is very sad for what used to be a truly great dining, drinking social experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank littleflowertot
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We were a group of six couples, staying at the cottages owned by The Hoste. This was our second visit and certainly wont be our last. Fantastic décor in cottages, everything you need, including complimentary herbal teas, biscuits, coffee etc. Comfortable beds, great en suites and nice gardens, very dog friendly . The Hoste arms served a lovely meal, staff were attentive and friendly and were extremely helpful in finding a suitable table for such a large number of us.
Will return as soon as possible !

Room Tip: All rooms were very good
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daisypuss
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Celebarted my birthday here and stayed in a four poster bedroom which was lovely. Very clean and great decor. All the staff were exceptionally proffesional and friendly. Our evening meal was amazing followed by an equally amazing breakfast the next morning.
Burnham Market is beautiful and is a great location for exploring lots of nearby attractions.
Would not hesitate to return!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julie l
Reviewed 19 April 2013

4 of us had originally booked to stay in the hotel for the Friday evening but unfortunately I had a family funeral which meant us changing to the Saturday. The hotel were very helpful but as they were full we stayed in one of the 'Railway Cottages' approx 10 min walk away which was perfect for us 4 ladies to get ready together etc. We then dined in the restaurant in the evening which was excellent from start to finish. The service was pleasant & the food excellent. We had the joy of the cottage & then had breakfast in the hotel which was superb. After shopping in Burnham we had a hot tub at the spa at the hotel followed by afternoon tea, which again the service & the food was delightful. At the end of our very pleasant stay we thought that the cost of our stay with food etc was very reasonable. We were so impressed that we have booked to stay again. An enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: If you are not bothered about staying at the hotel, ask about the Railway Cottages approx 10 min wal...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nikki b
Reviewed 18 April 2013

No room at the inn so my brother and I opted for cottage 63 some 10 minutes walk away. The following is my experience of the stay:

1. Having known Burnham Market from childhood as my family lived in a nearby village I was dismayed to see it has been turned into a car park which has certainly spoilt the overall ambience of the place. Don't like to think of it as being termed Chelsea by the Sea - but given that most of the houses seem to have been turned into holiday lets I guess that the local community have by and large moved on leaving a ghost community.
2. The Hoste was and is quirky quaint and luxurious. Cottage 63 was a delightful place to stay ...but a gentle tap on the shoulder of the person responsible for maintenance might help improve things such as grease spatters on the kitchen walls, torn wallpaper bedroom doors which don't close properly, grubby arms on the couches etc.
3. The restaurant - aah - tiny tables squashed together - the person serving us had difficulty fitting the plates on a table not much bigger than the napkins. The food - I woudl describe it as a half-baked fusion - odd mix of flavours inconsistent portions and the food and wine horrendously expensive - I appreciate the need for substantial mark ups for wine but really the cost of indiffernt wines was ridiculously high and the choice very limited.
4. staff were young enthusiastic and friendly.
5. Be very aware that you are vulnerable to being charged twice as I was - two nights at this hostelry has at this point cost me around £850 for two nights and trying to get my money back is proving difficult - lots of blether about voids etc, but I'm still out of pocket at this time. This was as a result of a staff error but as yet no apology 10 working days to get my money back and incurred overas transaction costs - a couple in front of me also were being overcharged and were vigourously trying to sort this out.
This is a lovely hotel in a lovely location but the exorbitant prices are not generally reflected in the services and standards which I expect.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 2 in Titchwell
The Lodge Inn
The Lodge Inn
#1 of 1 in Old Hunstanton

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!