“Not as good as we hoped”
Review of The Hoste

and 1 more site!
The Hoste
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed just the one night, we were a group of 6 people nearing retirement age who had chosen to go to The Hoste as a celebration break to celebrate one of those milestone birthdays.
The room we were given looked out onto the court yard which due to refurbishment was full of contractors equipment. The room was very comfortable but I found that all the cushions took up valuable living space.
The evening meal was not an inspiring experience, the room was hot and when the air con went on we were in the direct line of fire. The service in the first part of the evening lacked the proffesional touch as we had to ask several times for various items and only when the waiting staff changed at desert did that change for the better. The lounge area has some lovely sumptuous seating where you can enjoy a pre or post dinner drink.
The nights sleep was disturbed by the fire alarm going off and with elderly people standing outside in the rain in their night wear it appeared very disorganised.
I would like to think we would go back as I can't believe a hotel of this calibre can't do better and I would like to think it was just an of night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DOUGAL_London_Uk
There are newer reviews for The Hoste

Reviewed 30 April 2013

My partner and I, and our two dogs, have been coming to the Hoste since 2001 and have had many wonderful times there over the years. Last Thursday was the first time we have been back since the new owners took over. Outwardly, it seems exactly the same, albeit with a considerable amount of building work going on! However, the character, the laughter, the very reason we went there in the first place has all but disappeared. It has gone far too corporate for our tastes and the very soul has been ripped out. And boy, do they know how to charge. £40 for a pot of coffee, two glasses of house wine (one small!) and an assiette of desserts. Couldn't really fault the service and all the staff were friendly enough, but there is just something distinctly missing now.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BonBonBooks
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Avoid room 9.
£120 night bed and breakfast for the cheapest room at the Hoste seemed a bit steep but having enjoyed a number of previous visits and on a restricted budget we booked anyway. Room 9 has many problems and for the price is a bit of a rip off. Its impossible to read with the bedside lights on as they are so dim; the tiny toilet would be impossible for the use of very large guest; the air-conditioning either didn’t work or wasn’t turned on and the room became very hot as the window wouldn’t open properly; the windows were filthy and on opening our curtains at 8am we found a builder on the roof within a few of our room. Surely with builders working from 8am until 5.30pm on a big extension the price charged should have been reduced!
The evening meal was generally good although the gravy served with the otherwise delicious staeak and kidney pudding was too sweet and over powering
Breakfast was lovely and faultless.
Staff were delightful but overall not worth the £120.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 and check to establsh if the building work is completed
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhilReed186386
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Excellent service throughout our stay
Breakfast and dinner top quality and excellent presentation.
Bar service quick and professional
All staff were helpfull and welcoming
Martin in particular deserves a mention- but all staffs performed impeccably
We were informed of the refurb-when booking- but if we had a very small negative comment- when it is finished parking will be even more difficult than it already is- this should be sorted by management to assist guests and not just diners!
Dogs were welcome and was very pleased at the attitude of the responsible owners
Will go back again- no hesitation

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room- all rooms are very good but the bigger the better
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GSPS
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I have been visiting The Hoste for over fifteen years now. On the whole I have always had pleasant stays. It does feel slightly more corporate/commercialised now but that is to be expected with the success they have achieved over the years.
I love Burnham Market and the North Norfolk area/coastline. The area does attract some chinless wonders but they're harmless enough. I love the fact that everywhere is dog friendly. I find it amusing that some people have complained about the Hoste allowing dogs there. They promote the hotel on that basis and it is widely advertised on their website and literature.
I have stayed in all the different category rooms apart from the Vine House (not dog friendly). I have not experienced a poor standard from Devine room to standard double.
Food and service is generally good. Breakfast always seems to be of a good standard but I have had some below average lunches and evening meals.
Brendan Hopkins introduced himself to me on our last visit while I was waiting for my girlfriend to get ready. He was very pleasant and spoke of his committment and love for the Hoste. I'm sure he will carry on the high standard that the Whittomes had.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Marcellio
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Hoste. Six of visited and ate in the restaurant both evenings.The food and service was of a high standard. A special mention must go to Edward and Sheila, who gave such excellent service.
Our room was large and well designed, the bathroom was awkward and not very user friendly. There were some nice touches such as Molton Brown toiletries but the toilet paper dreadful! Our room was in the Spa building and the heat was just too much, we turned the radiator off and opened the window then resorted to turning the air con on, this was noisy and caused us to have dry eyes and throats as a result we had very little sleep.
We were also overlooking the building site, this was not mentioned at the time of booking. Some of the construction staff were smoking on site, they should have a designated area away from guests.
If I was in the area I would return for food but not to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Missfoodlove2305
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was saddened to experience such a different atmosphere during my time visiting the Hoste. it seems that the welcoming friendly hotel I have stayed at previously has turned into an unfamiliar corporate and soulless place to eat and sleep. Another gem seems to have disappeared, which is very sad for what used to be a truly great dining, drinking social experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Titchwell
Caley Hall Hotel
Caley Hall Hotel
#1 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!