“"One night stand"”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
Amersham
“"One night stand"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here for one night last Sunday,27th April.
I understand some chap called Parker Bowles, (who is unknown to me but then I don't move in double barrelled name circles) gave the place a roasting in one of the Sunday papers but I am at a loss to understand the stream of vitriol which emanated from his pen, sorry, keyboard.

Firstly our room was superb, with its own tiny sun drenched courtyard type patio: the new extension and walled garden area seem eminently suited to their purpose, although I suppose the aesthetics of the design are open to personal preference, and the new reception area is a distinct improvement on the previous cubby hole which was not really fit for purpose.

Turning to drink and food here I must voice an element of discontent.
Firstly I take great exception to being kept waiting when trying to order a bottle of wine whilst the bar person shows her iphone photos to her little chum on the other side of the bar. The wait was brief I'll grant you but the reason for it was totally unacceptable.

In general the food (what there was of it) was well cooked and delicious but my Wife's salad starter was an insult.It consisted of a few leaves of rocket, a few slivers of cheese ( should have been mozzarella but they had run out of same) and avocado with a smear of dressing. Our 6 year old Granddaughter could have knocked it out in about 5 minutes, and for this few mouthfuls the Hoste charged £9.00!!!
Similarly her main course,lamb, was delicious, but at £19.00, for the size of the portion (together with one shrivelled up aubergine) was not far short of someone "having a laugh" I believe is the catchphrase.

All in all the Hoste has tied up a few loose ends which needed attention, the staff (with the one exception) are very attentive without being obtrusive,if of the same standard as the room we occupied,then the rooms are fine but in terms of value for money then the food has to be considered as borderline. However this is just my opinion and as the Hoste definitely caters for those with fairly deep pockets there will probably be many who would disagree with me on the latter point.

All in all a pleasant enough short stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid number 18-the boards in the room above creak intensely and leave one wondering what on...
3 Thank emmaamersham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Wisbech
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here because a family member had their wedding reception here. The reception was fantastic, the food was great the staff very friendly & attentive. Our room was also tip top. I wanted to give the score as 10/10 but am unable to due to a few mishaps . My sons bed wasn't made up on arrival but they did rectify straight away. There were hairs in the bath which is a definitely a no no. The coffee was miles to strong.
The breakfast was a disappointment the toast was stone cold & rubbery when it arrived, we had to ask several times for drinks.
We did have a great time & these few things didn't spoil our weekend.
Thanks

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank paulaconnor
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My Wife and I and 2 other family members are currently staying at 1 of the well appointed holiday cottages at the Hoste, as always the accommodation is excellent. All of the staff are very attentive. A phone call is always made to our home before arrival to ensure our booking is ok.We had an evening meal in the Hoste last night which was faultless with a good choice of menu. We shall certainly be returning again in the future.

Room Tip: All the accommodation is good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Six members of our family stayed in the wonderful Hoste a couple of weeks ago. The rooms are delightful, so full of character and very comfortable. The dining experience is wonderful. I can really recommend the Cromer crab. Also the taster menu, I shared it with my brother in law, it was my first taste of oysters terrific. The staff are friendly and helpful, all in all a great weekend.

Room Tip: Get one of the superior rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eva O
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I stopped in the Vine last Saturday evening, the room was beautiful, the bathroom was sumptious and we were thrilled, Great atmosphere in the bar but... the bar staff need some training when it comes to mixing cocktails. They had no idea what a Harvey Wallbanger wasand my Mojito was awful.
Evening meal and service was very good but what a shame about breakfast. Fruit juices ran out and were not replinished, the buffet breakfast was cold and had to be sent back, unfortunately my second breakfast was also cold and the buffet trays seemed to be constantly empty.
It is a shame that such a lovely place was let down by the breakfast service which seemed very shambolic. To the hotel's credit we did get a refund for our breakfast. We would definitely go back, but will opt for continental breakfast in our room next time.

Room Tip: Lovely room and bathroom Room 57 Vine House
2 Thank JuliaNorfolk
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

A perfect retreat. Just what we needed. The Vine gave us peace and quiet in outstanding accommodation across the pretty green from The Hoste, where we enjoyed superb food and exemplary service from delightful staff. A return visit is a must!

Room Tip: Room 57 in The Vine is wonderful but so are all the others!
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the best in Norfolk. and the staff are fantastic especially Ellie on the bar and Polly they were superb . The surroundings are beautiful and I love the coffee its so worth the money. The rooms and loos are lovely but we need the Elvis music back

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!