Came here for afternoon tea after a day at the beach. It was our first visit and having heard good things, we were excited to try it. The service at the restaurant was poor from the start. No one actually bothered to seat us and just told us to go over there and find a table. Then we had to ask for a menu. After finally getting the menu we had to wait around 15 minutes for someone to take our order which was just too long after I had clearly stated we would like to order quickly when we arrived. The food came and I must say that I was disappointed. Afternoon tea for 2 was priced at £28 and very little was offered for this. 3 very thin sandwiches each (3 x white and 3 x brown so no choice), 2 dry scones with no butter offered, and some tiny pastries, one of which was a Viennese whirl which was basically the same as the scone without the fruit. The pot of tea was also very small with only 1 and a half cups each in it. The poor service then continued with no one asking us during our food or after if everything was ok. After 25 mins I tried to attract someone's attention. We were still hungry after the tea. I asked for a portion of skinny fries and was given a look like I'd asked for something ridiculous. This was followed by a grunt and the waiter walked off not clearing our plates or asking if we needed anything else. He eventually came back with the wrong kind of chips and looked thoroughly put out when I asked him to bring the right ones. When the right ones did turn up, another 20 mins later, they were very poor quality with many of the eyes and bruised bits of the potatoes still there meaning at least a quarter were inedible. I also regretted asking the waiter for condiments, which should have been automatically offered, as this was greeted with a huff. Still the plates from the tea, including the 3 tier stand, had not been removed. After eventually having enough of the service we tried to attract someone's attention for the bill. I resorted to getting up in the end. Then when the bill turned up we were told we couldn't pay and had to go to reception in the hotel. When I complained to the receptionist about the appalling service, her response was "oh what a shame, I can see if the manager wants to come to talk to you". By this point we were thoroughly annoyed and had a long drive back home so I declined her offer of seeing if he wanted to talk to me.
Although we didn't stay in the hotel, we certainly wouldn't after this shocking service and wouldn't eat here again either. Maybe we were unlucky as there are many positive reviews but we wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on our experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the centre of Burnham Market, The Hoste Luxury Boutique Hotel boasts a private 20-seat cinema room, a gym, a beauty spa, an award-winning restaurant, luxury bedrooms, and self-catering cottages over various locations within the historic village. Featuring free Wi-Fi and free private parking, this boutique resort is just 2 miles from Norfolk's sandy beaches. Offering a flat-screen TV with Sky channels and tea and coffee making facilities, the uniquely designed accommodation lies across 6 individual properties. The bathrooms feature luxurious toiletries. Many boast a free-standing bath, pretty terrace, or views over the village green. The Hoste's sophisticated restaurant serves a modern British menu. For a more informal dining experience, guests can eat in the conservatory, lounge, garden, or bar. Dishes are prepared using locally sourced, seasonal produce. Meals can be complemented with a drink from the extensive wine cellar. Located in the courtyard wing of the 17th century property, The Hoste Beauty Spa offers a range of specialist treatments and a hot tub. Burnham Market is surrounded by acclaimed nature reserves, picturesque villages, and historic market towns. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Hoste reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoste Arms Hotel Burnham Market
- The Hoste Burnham Market, Norfolk