“Really disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
Peterborough, England
“Really disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for afternoon tea after a day at the beach. It was our first visit and having heard good things, we were excited to try it. The service at the restaurant was poor from the start. No one actually bothered to seat us and just told us to go over there and find a table. Then we had to ask for a menu. After finally getting the menu we had to wait around 15 minutes for someone to take our order which was just too long after I had clearly stated we would like to order quickly when we arrived. The food came and I must say that I was disappointed. Afternoon tea for 2 was priced at £28 and very little was offered for this. 3 very thin sandwiches each (3 x white and 3 x brown so no choice), 2 dry scones with no butter offered, and some tiny pastries, one of which was a Viennese whirl which was basically the same as the scone without the fruit. The pot of tea was also very small with only 1 and a half cups each in it. The poor service then continued with no one asking us during our food or after if everything was ok. After 25 mins I tried to attract someone's attention. We were still hungry after the tea. I asked for a portion of skinny fries and was given a look like I'd asked for something ridiculous. This was followed by a grunt and the waiter walked off not clearing our plates or asking if we needed anything else. He eventually came back with the wrong kind of chips and looked thoroughly put out when I asked him to bring the right ones. When the right ones did turn up, another 20 mins later, they were very poor quality with many of the eyes and bruised bits of the potatoes still there meaning at least a quarter were inedible. I also regretted asking the waiter for condiments, which should have been automatically offered, as this was greeted with a huff. Still the plates from the tea, including the 3 tier stand, had not been removed. After eventually having enough of the service we tried to attract someone's attention for the bill. I resorted to getting up in the end. Then when the bill turned up we were told we couldn't pay and had to go to reception in the hotel. When I complained to the receptionist about the appalling service, her response was "oh what a shame, I can see if the manager wants to come to talk to you". By this point we were thoroughly annoyed and had a long drive back home so I declined her offer of seeing if he wanted to talk to me.

Although we didn't stay in the hotel, we certainly wouldn't after this shocking service and wouldn't eat here again either. Maybe we were unlucky as there are many positive reviews but we wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on our experience.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Tom_andNicL
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. We are sorry to read of your disappointment in our service. Our Hoste Afternoon Teas are very popular and we pride ourselves on freshly made produce, so our apologies that on this occasion we didn’t meet your expectations. This is not (I can assure you) the standard of service we usually provide. We do hope that we have the chance to welcome yourself and your friends back to the Hoste in the future for a more enjoyable experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Southend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I along with another couple just spent a wonderful and very relaxed 2 nights at the hoste. The staff are very friendly and attentive, our room was extremely clean, cool and comfortable and sky TV is a great addition. The food was nothing short of amazing!! I enjoyed a steak which was cooked perfectly and just how I asked, and a lamb which was so tender and full of flavour it was very good indeed. The hoste made our stay in Norfolk so relaxed and enjoyable. My thanks to all the staff who looked after us during our stay. See you again very soon! Mark from Southend.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Browndog106
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we are delighted to read that you awarded us 5 stars. We are so pleased you found the staff to be ‘friendly and attentive’ during your stay. We shall pass on your comments to the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Wilmslow, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous 2 night stay at The Hoste. It was our first visit to the hotel, but we had been recommended that it was worth a visit by various friends and family.

We took our 9 month old labrador (big!) puppy along with us. Originally we had a small double booked, but upgraded to room 22 (one of the best) due to fear of us all being a bit cramped. We were glad we did as the room was gorgeous and extremely relaxing. Our only issue was the heat in the room - it was boiling!

We ate and drank at the hotel for 3 days and enjoyed every meal, especially the beef wellington. Service was good and we were made to feel special, as was the dog! We also enjoyed the Spa and booked in for a few treatments in advance which were also lovely and reasonably priced.

It isn't cheap and the room was hot - but we will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Room 22 is warm - if you struggle with heat then don't book in the summer months. Equally it is...
1 Thank Steph L
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is great to read such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you, your partner and your dog back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

On a recent trip to Norfolk I was keen to revisit The Hoste, where I hadn't been for a couple of years. We ate in the original restaurant. My first impression was the room had been really freshened up, the walls are painted and the tables have white cloths on them which has made a great difference. The food was amazing. I had crab to start and then the sea bass. My companion had the oysters followed by the fillet steak. Again perfect. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was buzzing and happy. I'm so pleased to see the new owners are doing such a good job as I have very happy memories of trips to The Hoste. I can't wait to go back.
Zuleika, London

4 Thank Zuleika B
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. It makes such a difference to know that you enjoyed the The Hoste experience and that you appreciated our new additions we have had added to The Hoste. We look forward to having the pleasure of seeing you again for your next visit! Don’t leave it so long next time…
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The vine is the upmarket part of the host hotel. It is adults only and is a lovely place to relax. The room was spacious clean and equipped with air con which was essential in such hot weather. The supplied small bottles of shampoo etc were not enough for two days, however we asked for more and on return from our evening meal the stock had been increased. Outside our room was a lovely peaceful courtyard a haven for our morning coffee. The lounge was equally relaxing a nice place to chill after dinner. Our only complaint about our room was the walk in shower which flooded. The water just did not go down the drain hole quickly, it's not relaxing having to mop the floor after a shower. We did report it when we left and maintenance staff were asked to fix it. I can recommend the vine to anyone who wants a quite room with a touch of luxury.
All meals are taken in the host across the green. The waiters were lovely although a little disorganised at times. We had no complaints about the food until breakfast on the last day -- chaos is the only way to describe it. My daughter ordered eggs Benedict no problem arrived quickly, my bacon egg etc took three quarters of a hour to appear and much to our surprise with another egg Benedict! We did ask what the problem was and apparently it was a new staff member who had got all orders wrong. I have to say lots of other diners also had wrong orders. There were a lot of disgruntled diners that morning. In fairness to the hotel our breakfast cost was refunded. I suggest they go back to the system of hot pans full of bacon etc which was so successful at breakfast the day before. Would we go to the host/ vine again? Yes defiantly. Just sort out the meal service.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank landlubber66
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us in our Vine House Boutique Hotel, it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the peace and tranquillity in the Vine House and found your bedroom to be spacious and clean. We are sorry for the delays in breakfast and can assure you that this is not the norm, training of new staff should not affect everyday service and we apologies for this. It is invaluable to receive constructive criticism from guests who genuinely want to help and encourage us to be better. We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We hadn't been to The Hoste for over six years so were keen to see how things had progressed and were not disappointed. Our two night stay began on a high when our 10 month old son decided to crawl properly for the first time ever within a few minutes of entering room 17. After a hasty room check we were relieved to discover that it was completely baby hazard free which allowed us to relax while we watched him explore a new environment for the very first time. We took it in turns to shower (piping hot) before heading down for dinner.

The meal was just perfect. We started off with the Norfolk coastline assiette which is a charming smorgasbord locally sourced seafood. I had heard good things about the beef Wellington so opted for that as my main, my wife had the duck. Both mains were delicious, but the Wellington was simply out of this world. We decided to finish with The Hoste Desert assiete which is a great way to sample all the desserts on the Hoste menu and particularly handy if you're staying several nights. My personal highlight was the Cambridge burnt cream which I had for my desert the following evening.

The Hoste is ideal if you're looking for an upmarket base from which to explore the delights of the north Norfolk coast. There have been numerous improvements to the hotel which has been extended significantly since our last stay, but the real story is the staff who were all exemplary. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Zac M
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your return visit with us. It makes such a difference to know that you enjoyed the Hoste experience even after it being 6 years since your last visit and so glad you had the chance to try our Hoste Seafood Assiette, it is a favourite! We look forward to having the pleasure of seeing you and your family back again in the near future.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here for my 50th birthday, initially booked for two nights but checked out after one. Room 22 a very expensive room has stains on the walls, cobwebs on the ceiling, view of the rear car park, noisy outside fans that will keep you awake all night, very hard bed, you will need the windows open in the summer. Why did the bed have a duvet meant for winter?. Still had peanuts on the floor from a former Guest? Had better nights sleep stuck on a Romanian airlines flight to Singapore in economy.
As for the food in the vastly overpriced restaurant, my duck was only just warm , the cherry jus was very thin and flavourless. Aircon was set too high instantly turning my just warm meal cold, waiter did turn it down but his boss turned it back up. This was most amusing part of the whole experience as each one turned it up and then back down as they entered the room. If hell ever freezes over only then would I consider going back.

Room Tip: Try the back seat of your car, parked in a different town
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank J H
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. Firstly I would like to apologise that we did not meet the standard expected of The Hoste and we aim to provide fantastic service and quality to all our guests. It is invaluable to receive constructive criticism from guests who genuinely want to help and encourage us to be better. We have taken on board your comments and can assure you that when pricing our menus we always research into what other establishments like ourselves are charging also taken into consideration the cost of fresh local produce. We have a competitive menu with a range of over 32 main courses available.
We have the option of blankets and sheets for those guests who request them either prior to arrival or during their visit, and these would of course been changed for you during our turndown service in the evening, and we are sorry we were not made aware of this during your stay.
We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hoste in the future and can assure you that the air-conditioning in the restaurant shall be turned off!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham Market
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!