“Lovely village location, some attention required.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hoste

The Hoste
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
“Lovely village location, some attention required.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The Hoste Arms is in a beautiful location on the green in a truly remarkable village where Farrow and Ball colours reign supreme. White Range Rovers a plenty bedeck the green and there are more black labs and spaniels than you can shake a shooting stick at. Be prepared to pack your Boden and Jack Wills and tweed if it's cold. But don't worry there are plenty of fabulous clothes shops to visit in the village. The Hoste bar area is pleasant enough and probably once would have been quite fashionable however, don't look too closely at the rugs (sensibly nailed to the floor to prevent slips and court cases) they're absolutely filthy! I guess this is due to the heavy footfall. The bar area could do with a redecoration it looks a bit grimy overall. The room we stayed in was dog friendly, at the top of the hotel. This is a large room overlooking the green with a seating area. The room was beautifully decorated and dog friendly which was perfect! We booked for dinner. The food was ok but not great. The service throughout the stay was generally poor, we often got forgot about especially at breakfast ( you have to sit in a different room with a dog). And this was the common theme throughout the entire week. The young men were more interested in chatting to their friends or looking at themselves in the bar mirrors then offering good and attentive service. During the week, the room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and toiletries restocked. This was excellent. There was a good selection of teas and fresh coffee in the room and as the week came to an end I was sorry to leave.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew A
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken your comments on board and shall look into them. Our Historic bar is over 400 years old and is full of character and history, we appreciated a few parts are dated but that all adds to the character of the hotel. We offer guests the best of both worlds; a modern reception and newly added dining area towards the back of the hotel near the garden with a comfy and spacious lounge joining the old part of the hotel to the new part. We are always investing into the Hoste and refurbishing where needed. It is invaluable to receive constructive criticism from guests who genuinely want to help and encourage us to be better and may we thank you for giving us the opportunity of responding. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hoste has the potential to be a great hotel but never quite gets there! I am being picky but The hoste could do with with the feedback but even after what I have to say I would definitely go back and stay!

We booked the hotel as it was billed as dog friendly and that is certainly correct they are so welcoming its unbelievable!

We stayed in room number 22 which is one of the more luxurious rooms but it fell a little bit short, it needed a fresh coat of paint and the wallpaper in the toilet was less than hygienic, the room was a great size and had a lovely shower but just felt really tired. Also there is no fridge or milk for the tea or coffee, they suggest you contact reception but this is a real faff!

The first night the food was spectacular but on the second it was merely ok, the service in the restaurant is good but not great, I like to have a full glass at all times which they only do if you have bought a bottle of wine if not they don't keep an eye on the drinks. The restaurant is tatty and old fashioned, I probably expected better but the garden restaurant at the back is lovely but strangely enough they don't offer dinner in there!

We spent quite a lot if time sitting in the garden which is lovely but again the service is so sloppy.

If this were my hotel I would train the staff better and stop their mates coming into the garden and distracting them, a coat of paint in the rooms which us cheap but would make a huge difference and in the restaurant I would have a more attentive individual service rather than the harassed thinly spread service you actually get. I would also make sure those staff serving guests should know the food on offer better as the lack if knowledge verged on embarrassing!

1 Thank gandh43
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write such a comprehensive review about your recent stay with us. We genuinely welcome all feedback and it makes such a difference to know that you enjoyed your visit. We appreciate that on this visit we did not tick all the boxes for you and it is very easy to get complacent and assume that we always get things right. It is invaluable to receive constructive criticism from guests who genuinely want to help and encourage us to be better and may we thank you for giving us the opportunity of responding.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I surprised my wife with a meal and nights B&B here for our 1st wedding anniversary and I cannot recommend staying here enough!!
The staff, the accommodation, the location and the good were perfect!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jimmy C
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to report about your recent stay with us, we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the little touches we provide. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hoste soon.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a truly wonderful couple of days away at the Hoste with some friends, it was the ideal base from which to explore Norfolk and to spend time relaxing and catching up. The food was great, especially the assiette of seafood. Our room was very funky with a really comfortable bed and air con which was a real blessing in this hot weather. All in all the staff couldn't do enough for us and we had a fabulous time, the service was faultless and friendly and the high end yet relaxed atmosphere was really refreshing. I will definitely be returning to the Hoste very soon, thanks to everyone there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank K L
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review and for your kind comments. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you are planning on returning in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Broxbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is a fine hotel. The public rooms are quirky and nicely decorated, the staff are friendly and helpful and the location is nice as you look out onto the green at Burnham Market. Breakfast was good and the restaurant attractive. We took the cheapest room available as we were on a family visiting trip rather than an indulgence holiday. The price seemed pretty steep (£170 for one night in the lowest price room) but I had heard a lot of good things and thought it would be worth it. We were booked in for 2 nights so the total cost was £340.

The room was tiny but nicely decorated and we were initially pleased. That £340 kept going through my mind though and without meaning too I started to allow the silliest niggles into my brain. 'Why decorate this tiny room with oversize, fake Louise Quinze furniture? Surely something more in keeping with the local area would be more appropriate?' Burnham Market is known as 'Chelsea by the Sea' though so maybe that is the market they are trying to attract.

'Why is the bath so uncomfortable?'. It was a fake Victorian type on legs that was agony to lie down in. It was also not really attached to the wall despite an attempt at putting a line of rubberised mastic on it. Also, the plug lever was badly fitted and there was a gap which irritated me. After the water ran out there was a very nasty drains smell. Perhaps the bath was just for decoration!

'Why is the shower so difficult?' - the door was hinged just off centre and whacked you in the back on entry and exit. Good thing we are both small people.

The size of the room started to disturb. My husband and I had to take turns to visit the wardrobe area and getting out of the door with a suitcase took some working out.

I kept looking for things I would have expected...a safe, for example. Normally the lack would not have annoyed me but the thought of £340 was squirrelling away in my mind. There was a torch however and the hairdryer worked well.

We have stayed in some gorgeous hotels and not minded the cost as the value was obvious - location, famous chef, great wine list, access to ski areas etc. This, however, felt like a nice hotel operating slightly above its weight. £120 a night would have been fine but the extra £50 rankled.

It may be just about the location but that disappointed slightly too. Burnham is a nice town but not the wonder we had been led to expect. There are plenty of towns just as fine and more interesting elsewhere in the UK.

I know that Norfolk is expensive and Burnham Market especially so but if seasoned hotel visitors like us are irritated by the price then it is perhaps time for the owners to reflect. Rather than get a reputation for pricing for what they can get away with perhaps review what value they are offering and price accordingly? Tesco have a great phrase for their staff to use - 'Would I buy it?' Maybe the owners should sleep in each of their rooms regularly, iron out the niggles and ask themselves that important question.

We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment though we heard good things.

Room Tip: Our room was the cheapest and was very small.
3 Thank Lesley B
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate your constructive feedback. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole. We have taken on board your comments and can assure you that when pricing our bedrooms we always research into what other establishments like ourselves are charging, also taken costs into consideration.

We have a competitive price for our bedrooms; we are always looking to invest into The Hoste and especially the bedrooms. Recently we have installed sky TV in all of our rooms, in the process of putting air conditioning in all of the rooms and majority of rooms have safes and mini bars, also included in the room rate is full English breakfast per guest with a selection from our cold and hot buffet with the option of dishes from the kitchen. All of these factors are also taken into consideration.

We are sorry to read of your disappointment and hope you can appreciate all of what is considered into the cost of a four star hotel bedroom. We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Have just returned from a 2 night stay with my husband and friends. From arrival the staff were very attentive. Our room was very clean and extremely comfortable and the air conditioning was lovely in this warm weather.
I love fine dining and The Hoste certainly delivered. Everyday there is a new 'cut of the day' and 'catch of the day'. The menu offers a wide selection and was hard to choose from; fortunately the staff are very good at recommending certain dishes and I was not disappointed.
There looks to be a lovely spa, though unfortunately did not have time for a treatment. When I return, I will certainly be booking myself in for one however.

Katherine B

Room Tip: Make sure that your room has air conditioning as not all of them do
3 Thank Katherine B
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and that you found the staff to be ‘friendly and attentive’ during your stay. We shall pass on your comments to the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Peterborough, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for afternoon tea after a day at the beach. It was our first visit and having heard good things, we were excited to try it. The service at the restaurant was poor from the start. No one actually bothered to seat us and just told us to go over there and find a table. Then we had to ask for a menu. After finally getting the menu we had to wait around 15 minutes for someone to take our order which was just too long after I had clearly stated we would like to order quickly when we arrived. The food came and I must say that I was disappointed. Afternoon tea for 2 was priced at £28 and very little was offered for this. 3 very thin sandwiches each (3 x white and 3 x brown so no choice), 2 dry scones with no butter offered, and some tiny pastries, one of which was a Viennese whirl which was basically the same as the scone without the fruit. The pot of tea was also very small with only 1 and a half cups each in it. The poor service then continued with no one asking us during our food or after if everything was ok. After 25 mins I tried to attract someone's attention. We were still hungry after the tea. I asked for a portion of skinny fries and was given a look like I'd asked for something ridiculous. This was followed by a grunt and the waiter walked off not clearing our plates or asking if we needed anything else. He eventually came back with the wrong kind of chips and looked thoroughly put out when I asked him to bring the right ones. When the right ones did turn up, another 20 mins later, they were very poor quality with many of the eyes and bruised bits of the potatoes still there meaning at least a quarter were inedible. I also regretted asking the waiter for condiments, which should have been automatically offered, as this was greeted with a huff. Still the plates from the tea, including the 3 tier stand, had not been removed. After eventually having enough of the service we tried to attract someone's attention for the bill. I resorted to getting up in the end. Then when the bill turned up we were told we couldn't pay and had to go to reception in the hotel. When I complained to the receptionist about the appalling service, her response was "oh what a shame, I can see if the manager wants to come to talk to you". By this point we were thoroughly annoyed and had a long drive back home so I declined her offer of seeing if he wanted to talk to me.

Although we didn't stay in the hotel, we certainly wouldn't after this shocking service and wouldn't eat here again either. Maybe we were unlucky as there are many positive reviews but we wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on our experience.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Tom_andNicL
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. We are sorry to read of your disappointment in our service. Our Hoste Afternoon Teas are very popular and we pride ourselves on freshly made produce, so our apologies that on this occasion we didn’t meet your expectations. This is not (I can assure you) the standard of service we usually provide. We do hope that we have the chance to welcome yourself and your friends back to the Hoste in the future for a more enjoyable experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham Market
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!