“Lost its edge”
Review of The Hoste

The Hoste
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Burnham Market
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have stayed at the Hoste before and were excited at the prospect of another enjoyable stay, however we were disappointed. Staffing levels seemed very low considering the season and service was rushed and things were missed on more than one occasion. Breakfast was the real disappointment as they have moved to a self serve buffet which is not great considering the price, on our second day I ordered eggs benedict as this was freshly made- portion was small and the sauce was so vinegary I had to scrape it off in order to eat it. Overall it was not a terrible stay but things seem to have slipped considerably and the attention to detail has been lost, again given the price it was certainly not good value for money. Quality of food was not as good on previous visits, we were very disappointed and have decided that will be our last visit to this hotel.

3  Thank Julie B
Caroline W, Manager at The Hoste, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your feedback and have taken your comments on board; we do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to The Hoste in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked a night at the Railway Carriage for a night to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. From the time of booking to the time of checking out I find it hard to fault the experience. From the helpfulness and friendliness of the receptionists, to the quality of food and ambiance in the restaurant, to the friendliness of the spa therapists and quality of massages, to the quirky, luxuriousness of our room. It was pure luxury but without any snobbery. We took our pooch who was treated really well. It is also good to note that the areas we visited - Burnham Market (where the hotel is) & Holt were very dog friendly too. We were allowed in all shops with our dog and staff were very welcoming. Upon leaving, we asked the receptionist for recommendations of which beach to visit and which town would be nicest to visit on our way home. She suggested Brancaster Beach, Holt Town and in particular Byfords restaurant. We took her up on all her suggestions and they were all fab. The beach was lovely, not too crowded and our dog was allowed (even in August!). Holt was very pretty and Byfords was a great friendly restaurant with great food. Our "railway carriage" was delightful. We love to visit somewhere with a difference. We had plenty of room, the shower was powerful, bedding & towels soft, good bed. It was just a 10 minute walk to the hotel. Perfect in every way. We wouldn't hesitate in recommending and would love to visit again (and perhaps bring our kids too!)

Room Tip: The Railway Carriage is luxurious, quirky and unique
1  Thank judeh442

Thank you for your recent review it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our reception team to be helpful in planning your Norfolk days out! We now look forward to welcoming you back to the Hoste in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed in The Hoste for 3 nights, attending a friend's wedding nearby.

It's a great hotel with great service - but occasionally a little rough around the edges considering the price. I paid £160 a night for single occupancy of a double room.

I'm disabled and had called months in advance to discuss my access needs and book the appropriate room. (I think all the rooms are slightly different, which is something I like.) They were incredibly helpful and spent time talking through which rooms were available and which might suit me, and I was able to select the appropriate one. I've rarely had such a good experience in this regard.

A week before my stay they called to confirm I was coming, and mentioned the room reserved was on the first floor, which was not what I'd agreed. It turned out they'd upgraded their room reservation system since I'd booked and lost all the details about my needs. I was slightly panicked as I knew it would be impossible to find another room nearby at a week's notice - without any fuss, they offered me a free upgrade to one of the superior rooms which met my needs.

I was really grateful and it was a lovely room, but obviously would've preferred it if the error hadn't been made in the first place. Likewise when I arrived (in August) the heating was on full blast and the room boiling - the staff were mortified and couldn't have been lovelier, offering fans and free bottles of water, and helping me out as much as possible. Again, I was really grateful, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. The staff on site at the time weren't immediately sure how to turn it off, which was a bit odd. I was going out for the evening anyway, and by the time I'd returned it was sorted.

There's no fridge in the room which was a bit of a pain as I'd brought bottled water and it was the kind of heat where bottles get warm left on tables. It wasn't a huge disaster, but for £160 a night, I would've really liked one.

I don't want to moan too much as the rom was huge and seriously beautiful, the bed was like a cloud, and the staff were universally brilliant and often went beyond the call of duty to sort things out for me, and I had a lovely stay. But I rarely pay that much for a hotel, and only did on this occasion because it was the only accessible one nearby. I had high expectations and might be being unrealistic, but for that kind of price I do expect for there not to be quite so many small things going wrong.

When they did, the service was excellent, and I'd definitely return, simply because of that.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wilma1977

Thank you for your review, we encourage constructive feedback in order to constantly improve and better our service. We pride ourselves on great customer service and have a friendly team so am pleased to read that you received excellent service during your visit. We apologies for the small hiccups during your stay.
We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hoste in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I took my mum to the Hoste for an overnight stay last week, as she had never been to Norfolk.I booked us into the Vine -fortunately I had my car as no-one offered to help us with our bags, even though it was a short walk across the village green. The room was fantastic (room 51) and beautifully appointed. We walked back to the Hoste for lunch in the garden, which was absolutely packed, given it was a beautiful summers day. We ordered and then waited 55 minutes for a sandwich and a salad, despite asking 3 times for an estimated time of arrival for the food. When the salad did arrive (goats cheese and beetroot) it came minus the beetroot, with no notification or approval. The family seated at the table next to us encountered similar problems - 2 of their 3 main courses arrived after 40 minutes and the third main course 20 minutes after that. The waiter was clearly stressed with the amount of tables to be served, although polite. Upon complaining to the duty manager, I was told that they had 15 confirmed bookings for lunch but 150 had come through the doors - clearly something is wrong with either the front desk or restaurant management in this case. We had booked for dinner at the Hoste, but after the lunch debacle, we managed to get into The Ship in Brancaster, which was fantastic and thoroughly recommended. Breakfast the following day was incredibly average,and not befitting of the price tag paid. The hotel manager was very helpful and apologetic, but sadly I feel that the Hoste is not quite staffed or has the right level/experience of staff to cope with the busy summer period. I have seen similar reviews, covering the same issues and I would suspect that this is an ongoing issue for The Hoste. Also, if staying at The Vine, I would recommend a room on the first floor, and not the ground floor, as the ceilings are thin and we were woken up by people walking above us. Norfolk is beautiful and Hollkam Beach in the sunshine is a joy to experience, but I would advise anyone visiting the area to check out some other establishments first (The Victoria was fantastic for afternoon tea), or to visit in the off-peak season when they may be more able to cope with their guests and have the appropriate staffing levels. Sadly very disappointing.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the Vine, go for one of the rooms upstairs
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank trixys

Thank you for your review, we encourage constructive feedback in order to constantly improve and better our service. We really do want our guests to have an enjoyable time with us and was sorry to read of your disappointment. We’d also like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to speak with you in person during your stay and as we discussed we appreciate supportive criticism and on many occasions tried to rectify the bad lunch you experienced which you declined several times. The Hoste is a very popular hotel so we cannot always know the exact numbers of diners we shall cater for; we try to accommodate all guests while ensuring we deliver good quality food and a friendly service.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very well presented room in the Vine boutique over the road from the main building, not keen on switch to help yourself breakfast as the quality has dropped off the prepared food was quite poor, although you can still order at the table, which we would do if we stay again. Staff generally very attentive . Food in restaurant pretty good, well presented and quality good. Will stay again just a bit pricey which may reflect an august booking.

Room Tip: Vine Divine good but expensive
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank dcww

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

A bit corporate and the restaurant in the evening hides from the (almost) Norfolk high street outside, by shutting the blind on the evening light... . Food very good though. Our room (34) was ridiculous - White Mischief themed for no discernible reason in the middle of a market town, though funny and well appointed. BUTTTT... vegetarian breakfast was superb and staff - especially Carolyn and Pete, who helped us with a flat tyre, and even the owner who also came out to offer assistance - magnificent and unaffectedly thoughtful. I'd return for them alone.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A very warm welcome awaited us at The Hoste. The bedroom was beautifully decorated and the bathroom was all that you could want. I was concerned at first that we were overlooking the garden where there were many people eating and drinking until late, but it didn't disturb my sleep at all. Dinner in the dining room was excellent with a wide choice of fish and shellfish. Breakfast provided ample choice. Burnham Market is ideally situated on the north Norfolk coast and we had a fabulous walk along Holkham beach in the morning. All in all a brilliant relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden could get noisy on warm summer evenings when everyone is outside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review we appreciate your feedback and was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We now look forward to welcoming you back to the Hoste.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham Market
#2 of 2 in Titchwell
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!