“Good for a home cooked style lunch”
Review of Corn Exchange

Corn Exchange
Ranked #12 of 12 Hailsham B&B and Inns
Hailsham, United Kingdom
“Good for a home cooked style lunch”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Wouldn't stay here as I only live a mile away but definitely recommend it as somewhere for a decent lunch at a good price. Strange mixture of low cost hotel accommodation, a good café--style front bar and a pub style bar at the rear, with the addition of a Night Club at the back in the original corn exchange room. You can lunch here quite separately from the other activities and it's or doing for the quality as well as light on the pocket. Oh! And good beer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bill_lovell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Luckily I was only staying for one night as it was extremely noisy as was at the front of the hotel. The carpet was badly stained and some of the tiles round the bath needed re-grouting as there was mould on it. There was also an old shower curtain that badly needs replacing and a rusty piece of metal on the tiles. The only reason I gave it one star was for the breakfast which was reasonable even though the surrounding area especially the curtains in the restaurant were absolutely filthy and covered in dust. Would never book in there again.

Room Tip: It may be quieter to have a room at the back
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Hailsham hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Where do i start!!! thankfully i only booked to stay one night in this awful place. the room looked and felt dirty, the carpets were badly stained, there was no plug in the bathroom for either the bath or the sink, black mould was around the bath, tiles were hanging off, the light flickered on and off, the light switches were dirty,there were cobwebs all over the ceiling, water stains and peeling paint on the ceiling above the beds and in the bathroom, i found 2 cans of extra strengh cider in the bedside cabinet left by a previous guest (maybe this was their idea of a mini bar). the church bells chimed twice every hour all through the night. breakfast was served by the cleaner who had to stop hoovering to serve me. never again!!!!!!!

Room Tip: take plenty of wet wipes to clean before you unpack!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank catherine w
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Having read earlier reviews we were not expecting too much. However we were pleasantly surprised.
Although the accommodation was basic, the room was nevertheless clean, bedding fine and staff helpful and welcoming. Breakfast was largely limited to a full English but this was perfectly adequate,
The description of the hotel was very fair; it is a town centre, not that Hailsham is a throbbing metropolis, pub with a late bar and rooms. It goes without saying that inevitably there will be some noise. However, this was not more than background noise and we had no problem sleeping. We stayed in rooms 1 and 3 if that made a difference.

Room Tip: Check proximity to late bar if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Avoid this place like never before! We booked here from New Zealand because we needed somewhere to stay so we could attend a friends’ 30th. We paid 59 quid. We got there and they had to change our room because they couldn't find the key to our room then they couldn't find the key to our new room. Then when they finally found key to our new room the toilet dribbled water all night and the shower and bath area leaked all over the floor. We went back downstairs to get our bags from car and we could not get back up it turned out there was yet another key missing that we were supposed to have to we could access the accommodation. We went to 30th and came home at midnight kept awake a little bit by music from nightclub. The next morning we woke up went downstairs for breakfast and we were greeted by a police women - an "incident" had occurred and the whole place was in shut down and tapped off (we didn't know anything had happened during the night). We were told to go have breakfast somewhere else because the place was shut. We did this and when we got back we were finally allowed to go back up to our room. Man have we never exited somewhere so fast. I asked if we could be reimbursed because we never did get our complimentary breakfast and the women we dealt with as just absolutely rude and in my opinion shouldn't have her job. Not only was it bad enough that the place was crap but even more so that this woman was so rude. Seriously do not stay here. When we talked to friends the next morning from the 30th they couldn't believe we had stayed there (silly me for booking from NZ) they being locals from a town 15 mins away said they even avoided this town and specifically this pub and nightclub!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked, but in any case, I didn't have a choice as I needed to be in the centre of Hailsham. Maybe the lack of choice of b and bs in the area makes the owners of this place think they can get away with charging lots for such awful rooms. The room didn't seem clean. Stains on the carpet and all over the bed linen. I was going to have a bath, but after washing it out myself, I noticed that there wasn't a plug! This room cost me £45 by the way! In the night had a very anxious time as I kept hearing the noise of door handles, and the noise was so close to my head, that I thought it was my room/ door. I fell asleep about 2am, and was shaken awake by noise below, and my bed shaking, at 7am! The head board was also lop sided and falling off one twin bed.

In the morning when I went for breakfast, there wasn't a member of staff to be seen. I found a cleaner eventually, who told me that they take the orders for breakfast, as the bar staff don't start till 9am.

Don't go here!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank haykate
Home Counties
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Possibly the sloppiest place we have stayed in. Shortcomings included bags of (used?) bed linen stacked in the corridor the whole time, seriously dilapidated room windows stuck shut, a razor socket without power and a stained and un-vacuumed room carpet. All this after the parent company Relaxinnz's claim in their brochure that the rooms "have recently been refurbished to the highest standard." Breakfast was woeful - the advertised times were wrong, and nothing suggested that breakfast was being served at all. On both mornings, we were offered tea or coffee and "full English" - nothing else. Toast and cutlery arrived last, as a sort of afterthought. On our second morning, fruit juice and cereals appeared on someone else's table just as we were finishing. On our second night, a Friday, there was loud music until midnight which ended with the revellers dispersing slowly and noisily. At 1.30 the music started again, and this time we could feel it as well as hear it. All accompanied by the sound of furniture being dragged around. At 2.30 it all stopped dead; no sound of departing revellers as there weren't any - only the staff stacking the outside chairs and tables. When we went to pay on departure, they said we already had. We later found that our account had been charged before we even arrived. In our view that is an unacceptable practice. We later emailed Relaxinnz to explain the establishment's failings constructively but, after two weeks, there has been no reply; this would appear to demonstrate their corporate attitude to the public. Overall, very shabby indeed! Based on our experience, we advise anyone contemplating staying here to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stop here - look elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Amlodhi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hailsham
The Boship Lions Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle
The Horseshoe Inn
The Horseshoe Inn
#2 of 5 in Herstmonceux

Been to Corn Exchange? Share your experiences!