“Good restaurant”
Review of The Jester Hotel

The Jester Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Baldock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I cannot comment on the hotel accommodation as we only went to The Jester for lunch. The food was well prepared and hot. The staff were excellent and friendly and it was nice to go into a bar area where there was a burning log fire that made it very cozy on a cold day.
The prices were reasonable for pub food and the menu whilst not extensive it had enough variety to meet most palates.
I would suggest that if you are in the area you give The Jester a try.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed for the one night whilst attending a Birthday party. The room was very comfortable, with en-suite bath/shower. The room and the bedding was very clean. Plenty of tea/coffee, biscuits and even a bottle of water. The hotel owners were very friendly and accommodatiing, no delays or problems with checking in. The full English breakfast is brilliant, starting with cereals or fruit, toast afterwards, tea or coffee replenished if required. Very nice atmosphere. Definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room ate the back, away from traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Went to a birthday party here yesterday and stayed the night.. Warm friendly and hard working staff. Room was brilliant with good selection of teas, coffees, biscuits and a bottle of water Lovely cooked English breakfast. Party was also excellent and the buffet was superb. Can't praise this hotel enough and will certainly be visiting again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

When me and my family walked through the door the first thing they said was "god this place has gone downhill."

I booked a meal for mothers day and was so disappointed. I had to apologise to my parents for taking them! Food was so bland and basic. Fair enough it was a Calvery, but there was no edge to the starters or dessert. It all resembled what I would quickly whip up if I suddenly had company over. Not something I enjoyed paying money for!

Even the decor is bland and boring- it was like I stepped back to the 90s. It's a shame because the building has so much potential but it's just going to waste.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband went to the jester a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed. The bar staff were rude and the menu only offered pizza and pasta!
Wow what a difrence! We went again for a family meal and was blown away at how different it is. the food (ham hock and the stuffed chicken) were fantastic and the staff they were friendly and welcoming. I think the jester has new management and they definitely have a new menu. We were very impressed and will be going back regularly as its our new fave place to eat. Massive improvement.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 15 May 2012

stayed on friday attending a wedding food was fabulous staff could not do enough for us the whole day was brilliant would recommend this place ,great place to have a wedding

Room Tip: back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Travelled some distance to eat at this restaurant after finding their website online and being impressed. Arrived at the Jester with my partner and were greeted immediately by a male waiter (?) who said we could choose a table anywhere and he would be over shortly with menus. Ordered starters - no problem, grilled prawns and baked brie - simple stuff so you can't go wrong. Would of been nice to recieve cutlery before the starters were brought over... The woman (manager?) who served us the starters bolted as soon as the plates touched the table which left my partner shouting after her to request some bread.

The main meals... I ordered the Jester's speciality of Ham Hock with a Ginger Sauce - BIG MISTAKE. Again when the woman put the plates on the table she quickly scarpered.. my partner called after her and she did not return. So he had to go to the bar to request salt, pepper, condiments and a steak knife for the ham. The male server returned with said items and said is everything ok, I said that I was not overly happy with the ham I had ordered and should it be as it was presented. The server said he was not sure what it should look like but would come back in a couple of minutes to check if I was happy. He did not come back and we did not see him again.

The actual food: The said ham hock arrived ensconsed in a thick (1cm) layer of fat and swimming in a ginger sauce, which really looked and tasted like ginger syrup. After passing my plate to my partner who valiantly removed the fat and the meat off the bone (which didn't simply "fall off the bone" as the menu described) it turned out to be inedible anyway. Poor quality meat overpowed by a sticky ginger goo. The seasonal vegatables (cauliflour, brocoli and carrots) looked like frozen veg and were overcooked to the point of mush. My partner's veg was arranged in a terrine, but again was just a prettily arranged pile of mush too. The only edible thing on the plate sadly were the chips... but they hadn't escaped the torrent of ginger slime.

My partner ordered the chicken wrapped in parma ham with wenslydale and cranberries. He requested the three times cooked chips instead of boiled new potatoes. However was given new potatoes. He sent his meal back and it arrived promptly with chips. As mentioned the veg was overcooked, the chicken too was terrible. Dry, tastless, overcooked.

We decided to abandon the main courses and wait for our server to come back. After a few minutes it became apparant noone was returning so we went to the bar. Spoke to the same woman as above and said how the food was and she just said "oh". No apology or any attempt at rectifying situation. All I got when I said the onyl thing I could of eaten was the chips had they not been swumming in sauce was a curt "well the menu does say the dish comes with ginger sauce"...

We paid for half the bottle of wine we had drunk and the starters and left. Service was terrible, uncourteous and rude. Food was inedible.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldock
The George at Baldock
#4 of 4 in Baldock
Old Bull Inn
Old Bull Inn
#3 of 10 in Royston

Been to The Jester Hotel? Share your experiences!