“Food very poor”

Ranked #3 of 3 Baldock B&B and Inns
Ashwell, United Kingdom
“Food very poor”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We went here on the 27th Dec and I have to say I was very disappointed. I ordered a rare steak which came out well done, they were happy to change it and the next one came out blue but I couldn't be bothered to complain again, the chips were also so over cooked they were pockets of air! If you are in the area looking for food I suggest going a little further into Ashwell and try the Bushel or Rose and Crown.

I will not be going here again as my last visit was summer 2011 where I found the food equally poor.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SJGBOGIE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I cannot comment on the hotel accommodation as we only went to The Jester for lunch. The food was well prepared and hot. The staff were excellent and friendly and it was nice to go into a bar area where there was a burning log fire that made it very cozy on a cold day.
The prices were reasonable for pub food and the menu whilst not extensive it had enough variety to meet most palates.
I would suggest that if you are in the area you give The Jester a try.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed for the one night whilst attending a Birthday party. The room was very comfortable, with en-suite bath/shower. The room and the bedding was very clean. Plenty of tea/coffee, biscuits and even a bottle of water. The hotel owners were very friendly and accommodatiing, no delays or problems with checking in. The full English breakfast is brilliant, starting with cereals or fruit, toast afterwards, tea or coffee replenished if required. Very nice atmosphere. Definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room ate the back, away from traffic noise
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Norfolk
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Went to a birthday party here yesterday and stayed the night.. Warm friendly and hard working staff. Room was brilliant with good selection of teas, coffees, biscuits and a bottle of water Lovely cooked English breakfast. Party was also excellent and the buffet was superb. Can't praise this hotel enough and will certainly be visiting again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

When me and my family walked through the door the first thing they said was "god this place has gone downhill."

I booked a meal for mothers day and was so disappointed. I had to apologise to my parents for taking them! Food was so bland and basic. Fair enough it was a Calvery, but there was no edge to the starters or dessert. It all resembled what I would quickly whip up if I suddenly had company over. Not something I enjoyed paying money for!

Even the decor is bland and boring- it was like I stepped back to the 90s. It's a shame because the building has so much potential but it's just going to waste.

• Stayed March 2012

Travellers are raving about these Baldock hotels

Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband went to the jester a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed. The bar staff were rude and the menu only offered pizza and pasta!
Wow what a difrence! We went again for a family meal and was blown away at how different it is. the food (ham hock and the stuffed chicken) were fantastic and the staff they were friendly and welcoming. I think the jester has new management and they definitely have a new menu. We were very impressed and will be going back regularly as its our new fave place to eat. Massive improvement.

• Stayed March 2012
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

stayed on friday attending a wedding food was fabulous staff could not do enough for us the whole day was brilliant would recommend this place ,great place to have a wedding

Room Tip: back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldock
Verve Hotel
Days Inn Stevenage North
Sheene Mill
Sheene Mill
#1 of 1 in Melbourn

Been to The Jester Hotel? Share your experiences!