“Nice Room Great Food”
Review of The Jester Hotel

The Jester Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Baldock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed at the Jester for 2 nights whilst on a business trip.

Room was nice and large, desk and chair, small sitting area, table for tea and coffee.
Wardrobe, chest of drawers, Four poster bed.
Ensuite with shower, sink and toilet.

Mattress was ok, if a little soft (I'm used to an extra firm mattress so this may be unfair). It was clean too, the only downside being the tv being as small as my laptop. Not that I'd used it but if i'd wanted an evening watching tv in bed I wouldn't have been able to see it.

Can't fault their food, breakfast was lovely and they were willing to customise it for each person.

I had the crocodile steak with their triple cooked chips, which was fabulous.

All in all a lovely place to stay

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Jester Hotel

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel last month. The pictures on the internet of the rooms are very misleading. There is wood chip paper everywhere that has been painted over in an attempt to modernise, and the colours are very modern but what it doesn't manage to hide are the cracks and the damp. If this was £60 a night I wouldn't even be writing a review as that's a fair price for what's on offer... but we paid £75 and for an out of London hotel I expect a lot more than a small damp room with a tiny ensuite.
I have to say the owners are lovely, the service was great and that made it very difficult to say anything about the overall condition of the place, they have literally wallpapered over the cracks. Outside our bedroom the maid had left a booklet from Rentokill about pest control (that didn't help our overall feeling of the place)
Great owners, lovely atmosphere, clean rooms, terrible breakfast - I think they should just consider knocking the price down to £60 a night and then you'd think, ah well you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We've just had one night here. Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms not luxurious but for the price had everything you could need. We only had a bar snack and breakfast, but both were excellent. Only thing preventing me giving 5 stars was the mattress was rather hard.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Jester on the 20th March. The whole experience was friendly and welcoming. The rooms are modern and spotless. The food was wholesome and tasty and the bar atmosphere in the evening with the locals was great. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend it.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hi,
My partner and myself stayed at the Jester from the 28/03/13 to 02/04/13 to attend an event locally. The breakfasts were very good and the Restaurant food was excellent - good choice-well cooked and presented and very tasty!. A couple of nights they had offers on like 2 steaks and a bottle of wine fro £25 and that was very good value.
The staff were very friendly and Andrew the guy who seemed to do almost everything from Barman,"mine host" to waiter was very efficient and good fun too.
All in all i would recommend this Hotel and would certainly stay there again.
Jean and Terry from Burnley.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is actually located between Baldock and Royston, off the A505, in the hamlet of Odsey

This country inn has been around for years but sold several years ago to a large "country inns of England" corporation. The first set of managers, Brian & Maggie, were fabulous and the quality of the food and the inn overall continued from the previous owners. Unfortunately, in a corporate environment, Brian & Maggie were transferred elsewhere and The Jester unfortunately went through several managers and the quality went downhill quickly.

A few months ago, Brian & Maggie returned and The Jester has returned to it's high standards. Their son is the chef and every meal we have eaten there has been first class. We have attended parties, large dinners (50+ people) and just the two of us for lunch and dinner and it has been excellent. The wait staff are consistent.

Great menu selection now.

They now do a mid week carvery that is the best deal in the area. Also a steak night as well

The rooms are cheery. Unfortunately, when the corporation bought it, they converted the rooms to ultramodern and the place lost it's "old inn" feel. A more subtle tone of paint has been added to cover up the mauve walls that the corporation thought would look good (wrong!!)

Room Tip: try for the back of the building as there are cement works down the road and the trucks can be a bit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We went here on the 27th Dec and I have to say I was very disappointed. I ordered a rare steak which came out well done, they were happy to change it and the next one came out blue but I couldn't be bothered to complain again, the chips were also so over cooked they were pockets of air! If you are in the area looking for food I suggest going a little further into Ashwell and try the Bushel or Rose and Crown.

I will not be going here again as my last visit was summer 2011 where I found the food equally poor.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SJGBOGIE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldock
The George at Baldock
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
The Three Tuns
The Three Tuns
#1 of 1 in Ashwell

Been to The Jester Hotel? Share your experiences!