“Friendly and nice atmosphere.”

Templars Hotel and Carvery
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Baldock
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just stayed for a Saturday night. Very friendly reception, room was clean and tidy,everything we needed. Parking was not an issue at the weekend but might need a bit of planning during the week.Breakfast was very good and plentiful. The Zeus had a really nice atmosphere in early February, I would like to return in the summer when the dining room looks like it will be open to the Broadway.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Fit2drop

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Stay here on business. As usual the staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are always clean and the central location is great.

The bathrooms are in need of upgrading - showing real signs of wear.

The breakfasts are good if you want cooked, if not you'll be disappointed. The continental is made by Kellogs. No fruit bowl, no yogurt, no cold meats, cheeses, instant coffee only. A poor show really.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Stevein
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I had a Christmas party at Zeus and stayed one night on 6 December 2013.

On arrival, it seems parking was an issue nearby the hotel so we asked reception where to park and were told anywhere would be OK as long as the cars were gone by 1100 the next morning. Like others, I specifically pointed out where my car was parked and again I was reassurred this would be OK until 1100 the next morning.

The drinks were standard, the meals were OK though on the expensive side.

Access to the room (room 21) was rather complex, involving a change of staircase at the first floor, the second staircase being on the oter side of the building . It takes time to get there, more importantly, if a fire broke out it would take time to get out. The room itself was small, overheated (we slept with the window open) and my wife and I prefered not to use the shower as it obviously needs to be overhauled. There is a sense of having things there, not because they are useful, but simply to tick a box: TV there is one, practically useless, there is a coffee and tea stray, no biscuits and unless one bring one's own water to the room (which we fortunately did) the tap water would not make a good tea or coffee and we would not recommend the shower.

Breakfast was prepared with economy rather than quality in mind. It is served in the pub rather than the restaurant and coffee, tea and bread needs to be obtained from a table in front of the bar. There is a four slice toaster to be shared by all the guests, toasting bread on one side at a time (half of the heating elements in the toaster were not working) so it will take a while before you can have toast ... that is, if there is sufficient bread in the first place. Don't expect freshly squeezed juices. Expect just one egg, one sausage and bacon the last two very fatty (again it's provided but most people will leave most of these, others will not even try).

The next morning all cars for our those in our party that stayed the night had penalty charge notices issued at about 0700. The hotel refused to take any ownership for this despite confirming that our parking would be trouble free until 1100. If they had said there is nowhere to park, we would not have stayed but this would have also affected directly the bar bill and indirectly the meals.

This is a very expensive place to stay considering what one gets. To avoid.
For sure, they'll never see me again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pascal P
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife & I had the good fortune to stay at this hotel whilst visiting the local area. The room was well appointed and the staff were friendly courteous and very efficient. The breakfast served was well presented and came hot on warm plates which to our view is essential.
The hotel is well situated in the Centre of Baldock which is a very attractive little town.

We would definatly stay there again and also reccomend it.

Room Tip: Great place to stay for a quiet night and a comfortable bed
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here as a stopover en route from one client meeting to another. I chose this Hotel because the location looked like it would be the geographic midpoint of my journey between sites. I was prepared to accept that the accommodation might only be average at best but assumed that the food might be worth the visit. It turned out that I was right on the first count however I was wrong on the last. I feel particularly disappointed given that I really like Greek food and despite this I come away from the Zeus restaurant feeling that I had been let down.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

recently went to the restaurant in Zeus for a hen night and had one of the best evenings in ages!

There was about 30 of us as well as various other hen parties and large birthday groups, and you didn't get the feel that they were struggling at all! Food came out all at once, and wasn't too long in between, and was good! Not the best I've ever had but for a cheap 3 course meal, you can't go wrong!

What really sealed it for me was the entertainment. They had a range of greek dancers, belly dancers as well as singers and djs and it kept the whole restaurant entertained all night! I liked the way they tried to get everyone involved at all times too, but didn't make you feel like you HAD to. Was good fun for all ages.

Would recommend for an occasion, not to sure I would want to go for a quiet romantic meal as it can get quite busy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Ok hotel , close to train station so very easy to get to Cambridge. Breakfast was good.
Good choice of restaurants around, paper shop opposite andTesco's up the road. Quite a few pubs within walking distance.
The only down side is that there are parking restrictions only a two hour stay in the week and Saturday , Sunday no restrictions.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldock
The George at Baldock
Days Inn Stevenage North
Hitchin Priory
Hitchin Priory
#8 of 8 in Hitchin

Been to Templars Hotel and Carvery? Share your experiences!