“Lovely B&B”

Ranked #5 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
Bridge of Allan, United Kingdom
“Lovely B&B”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is without doubt one of the nicest B&Bs I have stayed in for some time - and I spend a lot of time staying in such places for my work. The room was to a really high standard, the breakfast was excellent and the 'landlady' Amanda lovely. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

What a lovely log cabin so chilled quiet great when you get a heatwave. (Barbqye everyday)Space around. Perfect spot for visiting the dales and moors. Would highly recommend especially if you have dogs. Everything you would want at the Poplars. We stayed in poppys .would happily return. Thanks Amanda

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great location, very quiet and close to the centre of Thirsk. One stop on the train from York.
Great hosts and the best B&B we stayed on our trip around UK. Would love to have stayed longer. Thanks for your hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Warrington
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had high hopes of my stay at the Poplars going off the Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. This place is amazing, it is immaculately clean (a real credit to the cleaning ladies), all the fixtures and fittings are modern, in excellent condition and clearly everything is well cared for and loved. It is clear from the first moment of entering the room that Amanda the owner wants her B&B to be the best and the rooms show this. The bed is the best I have slept on in a B&B, the quality of the mattress and duvet/pillows are high, the bathroom despite being a small size (we stayed in Ryedale room) has everything you need, an excellent mirror with lights above the sink (lights that do work) and plenty of storage space. Good quality TV in the room and a controller, which also works, as many B&Bs this is not often the case. A hospitality tray is provided with a kettle, bottled water, Yorkshire tea, Nescafe Coffee and milk (fresh is available on request)and biscuits along with high quality cups, glasses and spoons. This is replenished daily, again, something you don't often get in a B&B without asking. I even wonder if the bed would have been made too if I hadn't have already done it each morning, the service is that good.
Amanda is very accommodating, nothing is too much trouble and she takes interest in what you have been doing each morning at breakfast, this is then remembered for the next day and asks how your day was. She never appears too busy for anything and operates an "open door" policy. The food at breakfast is wonderful, beautifully cooked and presented. You wait whilst it is cooked fresh for you, whilst you help yourself to cereals, fruit and yoghurt but anyone who likes their food piping hot and fresh doesn't mind this.
The dining room along with the bedrooms and lounge is decorated and furnished to a very high standard and again is impeccably clean.
Amanda deserves her B&B to be number 1 in Thirsk! We are already planning our next visit, as there is loads to do in this area, it's a great base.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights at The Poplars during my visit to England. The Poplars is situated in a country setting within walking distance of the rail station. The morning breakfast was hearty and very good. My room was quiet and comfortable and taken care of daily. The bed was indeed comfortable. I have a low back problem and Amanda went out of her way to make sure my room met all my needs. Amanda, and her staff, work to insure the visitor's stay is comfortable and enjoyable. Should I return to visit again, I would definitely stay at The Poplars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our second visit to The Poplars and our second room there; it was fabulous! Such a wonderful place and brilliant owners. Breakfast was top notch, cooked to perfection and at the time we asked for it.
Nothing bad to be said in any way!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My third stay at The Poplars, but this time we opted to stay longer and to stay in Granary Cottage. We have found that The Poplars, just outside Thirsk, is a great central location for touring the many attractions Yorkshire has to offer. Having previously stayed in the B&B rooms, we opted for self catering in one of the cottages as we, (myself, my mum and our dog Jade), wanted to stay for a whole week. The cottage was well equipped, clean, warm and very comfortable. My only disappointment was I didn't get to play with Bailey (their dog) much as Jade would have got jealous!! Thank you Amanda and family for sharing your home with us again, hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janis C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirsk
Golden Fleece Hotel
#8 of 23 in Thirsk
The Carpenters Arms
The Carpenters Arms
#4 of 23 in Thirsk

Been to The Poplars - Rooms & Cottages? Share your experiences!