“Cute family stay”

The Gallery Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

En route from Brighton to go the the Deershed Festival, we squeezed a family of four into one of the rooms and our two delighted little girls are still talking about their night in a hotel where they made a marvellous den (in the adorable little curtained cubby) and ate toffees (welcome sweeties). Kathryn washed up my tupperware and filled up a baby bottle for bedtime, and fed us a lovely homecooked breakfast. I loved the welcoming touch of having homemade biscuits in the room. Comfy and sweet - very accomodating of us as a family (possibly the noisiest breakfast they've hosted in a while, sorry)

Room Tip: Rooms can be noisy in the summer when windows are open - as the road outside is busy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you, it was lovely to have you and your 2 daughters here and i assure you we have many adults who make much more noise at breakfast than you did!! We love the sound of guests having a good time.
Our location in the centre of town, making it so easy to pop out to the many shops, cafes, restaurants etc. means the road can be busy during the day but generally there is little traffic over night.
We hope you had a great time at The Deershed Festival and maybe see you next year.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely traditional Yorkshire B&B, the lady who owns it was well informed to help us plan our day if we wanted it but also gave us space when we arrived and during breakfast to enjoy ourselves without having a forced conversation as we have experienced at other B&Bs.

The room was small and cosy with a lovely en suit and we both slept very well- being on a quiet road also helped! There was everything we could have needed/wanted in the room including extra sheets and pillows, home made biscuits and a fan for the hot weather.

There were lots of books to inform our trip which we could borrow and pleanty of DVDs and board games if the weather took a turn for the worst/ we wanted a rest from our day before going out for dinner.

Overall highly recommended for a traditional English break!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you, we're so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us. We try to think of everything that guests may want in order to enjoy their stay and it's good to know that it is appreciated.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Gallery is everything one imagines a great B&B to be. The utmost care has been taken to ensure a very comfortable stay with GREAT attention being given to detail. The hostess, Kathryn, was very welcoming and is a very lovely lady. The breakfast was most enjoyable.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you so much, it was a pleasure to have you stay and we're so glad you enjoyed your couple of days away from the hustle and bustle of London!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My third stay at The Gallery and as ever excellent - Kathryn so welcoming - extremely comfortable bedroom with everything you could want - and delicious breakfast - perfect base for visiting North Yorkshire be it for holiday or business.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review. It's lovely when guests return regularly, we are obviously doing things right! Thirsk is perfectly placed for exploring North Yorkshire and also being so close to the A1 it's ideal for those travelling from the south to the north or vice versa.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Having looked over the reviews and indeed one of my very own over a year ago ...I returned to the gallery .and to be fair it was a little dissapointing this time beds were untidy the room was not as clean as last year and to be honest kathryn was not as jolly and helpful .but hey ho everyone can have an off day I suppose .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank millersontour64
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I am very sorry you feel disappointed following your latest stay with us. I feel I had fully explained to your party that all the rooms had been vacated just minutes before your early arrival at 10.30 and had been neither cleaned nor tidied, however you would be welcome to use the rooms to dress for your day out at the races and naturally the rooms, including the beds, would be spotlessly clean and tidy, as would be expected, by lunchtime. In light of your comments, I am reviewing my policy in respect of early check-in, which has been my attempt to
accommodate the needs of my customers. In hindsight I feel it may have been my flexible approach which has resulted in compromise and has resulted in your disappointment.
With regard to not being so jolly and helpful, I feel I remained very patient and understanding given the events overnight and the additional work I had to undertake before breakfast.
Cleanliness and service are of paramount importance to me. And when it comes to the public and
especially my customers, I don’t have “off days”.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

we had a lovely stay here. Kathryn had really thought of everything. There were lovely touches in our room; apart from lovely home-made cookies and chocolates, I liked that there was a DVD of James Herriot and the local area, and the complete boxed set of his books on the bedside table .We were made very welcome; there was SO much information on the local area-be it places to eat ,walks to do, and things to see and do. Overall, a fantastic place- I can honestly say-the best we have ever stayed-thankyou so much

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have lots of books, DVD's and so on about James Herriot, all you can want, as well as being located just across the road from where he lived and worked! We also have lots of information about the local area including maps, walks, brochures etc.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My Wife and I stayed at The Gallery B&B for 3 nights in May 2014. The place was immaculate, and the breakfasts were excellent full-English breakfasts. There were freshly baked cookies in our room each afternoon/evening when we returned from our area travels. WI-FI is in the room. Our room was one of the least expensive, a bit small, and on the street side of the house, but we would definitely stay here again. Parking is on the street, but we were provided with an over-night parking badge which worked well. The location is directly across from the World of James Heriott Museum and right off the Thirsk town square with several good pubs and restaurants within a very short walk.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLT49
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you - we are indeed ideally located just off the Market Place and close to all amenities - we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.