“Couldn't have been better”

The Gallery Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Couldn't have been better”
Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and I spent a night at The Gallery while on our honeymoon. It was perfect and everything we had hoped it would be. The location is ideal, the proprietors are friendly and professional, the room was well appointed, and the breakfast - oh, the breakfast - was scrumptious. I would go back JUST for the breakfast!!! We certainly would like to go back. It was tops!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelbeene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I'm actually writing this review on behalf of my parents whom i booked into the Gallery for a night as part of a surprise 45th anniversary present. I was of course hoping it would be a lovely place to stay and i had searched the internet for the perfect place. I was much relieved when I received numerous text messages from them telling me what a beautiful place the Gallery was, what a plesant and welcoming reception they'd received on their arrival, how clean and homely the place was, that they need not have packed any toiletries, how much choice the tea tray offered and so on.......... they were over the moon to say the least. Breakfast was delicious, lots of choice and lots of information regards the produce they use. My parents had a truly wonderful stay at the Gallery and would reccommend it most highly. They stayed in room no3 and they thought they couldn't have had a better time in a 5 star hotel, they even received a card and a small box of chocs to wish them a happy anniversary!
My parents ate in the local Indian restaurant that evening and said it was a delicious meal but told me The Gallery is happy for you to consume your own food in their dining room in an evening which is wonderful if you have a tight budget or young children to consider.
We give this B&B a very big thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George2020
North Carolina USA
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I came to Yorkshire on a James Herriott pilgramige and spent a week in the Gallery B&B directly across the street from James Herriotts' surgery/home/museum. I have traveled all over the world and I tell you this is the BEST, MOST WELCOMING place to stay that I have EVER experienced!! Kathryn and Steve are the kindest hosts I have ever had the privilege to meet. I cannot say enough about the Gallery and the hosts. they are fabulous!! They made my stay better than I ever dreamed it could be.
Mike Kerley - USA

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Iowa, USA
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We were made to feel welcome from the start. Kathryn and Steve are gracious hosts. Parking was not a problem, as we were out during the days, and there was a parking disc available for the times when it was needed (we parked on Kirkgate between the Gallery and St Mary's church). I would agree with a previous review about a cramped shower, but we've seen that almost everywhere we've stayed in England, so we can't fault the Gallery for that. Breakfast was outstanding, with locally produced ingredients.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We enjoyed a three night break in this very welcoming guesthouse. Bedroom was very comfortable, tastefully decorated, nice touch with the chocolates and a good selection of Fairtrade tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Compact tv/dvd player with decent selection of dvds. Only minor quibbles, small duvets and shower was a bit cramped. The dining room was lovely and the cottage had bundles of character. Breakfast was hearty and delicious, fruit juices, quality coffee and tea, cereals and a tasty fruit salad. Kathryn was very accommodating in serving up a vegan breakfast with soya milk for my cereal, together with veggie sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. Great to have your dietary needs so well catered for, much appreciated. Warm and friendly hospitality from Kathryn and Steve.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Mount Pocono, PA
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Over many years of travelling abroad we have pretty much stuck with the tried and true by booking hotels in advance. But with the current exorbitant prices most seem to be charging these days, especially in and around York, we opted to try using bed and breakfasts on our most recent trip to the UK.

Since we were planning to visit the York area at New Year's I felt a need to find accomodations far in advance. 10 months ahead of time I was finding sold-out hotels and grossly over-priced rooms in downtown York. Through Trip Advisor I learned about the Gallery, and the great reviews convinced me to book 3 rooms for our family group.

Arriving in the midst of a heavy snowfall we had a little trouble locating the place thanks primarily to my Garmin GPS getting stupid. Once we located the Herriott Museum we knew the B&B would be nearby. In fact it was right across the street in an unassuming typical residential building.

We were greeted by our friendly hostess Kathryn and immediately shown around the charming old building. While the building itself cast off a feeling of old rural English life, the rooms themselves were tastefully modern. Large comfortable beds, modern showers and plumbing, state of the art flatscreen TVs, a library of DVDs for the guests' use and a spacious breakfast room. Since the place had just 3 rooms, we had the whole area to ourselves. Even though we spent New Year's Eve and Day at the Gallery we heard no signs of revelers or noisy neighbors. Very calm and serene. Parking is a wee bit tricky, but you can park on the street after 8:00 pm and until the same time in the morning. Otherwise, you need to display a parking card (which the Collingtons will lend you) on your dash which entitles you to two hours free parking during the business day. We had no problem parking right across the narrow street.

Our breakfasts were generous and featured the best sausage I ever had, and I am a sausage and Würst guru. A variety of juices, delicious coffee and breakfast tea, cereals, eggs, baked beans, that unique thick English bacon, hash browns and grilled tomatoes.
For those less gluttonous breakfast sandwiches could be requested instead. Lots and lots of toast with locally produced marmalade and jam.

The town itself was also a joy. The downtown marketplace looks the same as it did in the 1900-era photos we saw in the Three Tuns restaurant located on the market square. Plenty of pubs and inns to find whatever you might want to eat - English, Chinese, Indian or Tex Mex. Yet no fast food chains. Nearby a Tesco and Lidl offer items you might put together for a picnic lunch.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Good stopping-off point for travelling through Yorkshire and, unlike so many establishments in the County, you are not limited to a minimum two-night stay at wekends. Due to the Gallery's close location to the town square (and its many pubs) wew were kept awake until 3 am by the local youths singing and shouting their way home from their weekend night's drinking session!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple