“great meal again!”

Ranked #15 of 68 Restaurants in Thirsk
Price range: US$6 - US$58
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Langley-on-Tyne, United Kingdom
“great meal again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Had another gorgeous meal here today. Our starters of Broccoli and Pepper Soup and Mussels with Garlic were so tasty, the Roast Beef was cooked perfect pink, I don’t know how Alex cooks his cabbage but it was really good as was all the veg and the desserts of Orange Crème Brule and Mars Bar Cake was the perfect finish to a wonderful meal. The waitress that served us was very friendlily and helpful-nothing was a bother! Oh I have to mention this again but the toilets are sparkling-always a good sign!

• Visited May 2013

Ilkley, United Kingdom
“Great food, odd ordering system.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Visited on a Saturday night, as it's mid way between Ripon when we live, and our friends in Northallerton. Had a nice drink at the bar, good beer, before being shown to the table.

The menu is just starters, as the main course you order from a hatch into the kitchen over a fridge directly with the chef. So we sat and chose starters (only I had a starter) and we were then directed to the chef by the waitress. This is where is got a bit odd, as the chef stands there while you look at the menu on blackboards. I felt under pressure, and one of our party couldnt decide, so a standoff ensued. The meats and fish look great in the chiller cabinet - but I'm not convinced the chef was that bothered, and because you are "under pressure" to order it's not a great way to be choosing food. I'd much prefer a normal menu system myself.

That aside, the food was very good indeed, and my Beef Stroganoff was brill. Loads of meat and full of flavor, and we all left happy.

I'll just add that the service was fairly slow. We had to get up from the table to order drinks from the bar which for a pub/restaurant isn't really acceptable. Plasterwork and paint could do with tidying up too.

• Visited April 2013
North Yorks
“Superb food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I have only been here twice and both times i have wanted to eat my meal again the next day because it was so tasty! I love the unique idea of going to the 'deli' and choosing what you want and they are so helpful and will try to adapt the meals to what you prefer.....different sauces/combinations etc. Both starters ive had i could have eaten again as the main course as they were delicious. Lots of veg/potatoes/chips and they will bring more for you if you ask. Cant comment on the desserts as i dont eat them but the starter and main choices are lovely. I cant wait to go back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank lou_7NorthYorks
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“A ROYAL FEAST AT THE KINGS ARMS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have previously had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful contemporary Pub /Restaurant in the heart of the beautiful Hamlet of Sandhutton, where we enjoyed the warm hospitality of the owners Alex & Natasha and as we were in the area we couldn't resist going back for another wonderful meal, and once again we were not disappointed.The Staff as usual were very friendly & attentitive (both Bar & Restaurant)

This Restaurant is very popular & booking is essential as it is a very busy place with a wonderful atmosphere. We were shown to a chiller cabinet to choose the mouthwatering fish or meat selection, which is then cooked fresh to order. Alex, the chef bears a striking resemblence to the Celebrity chef James Martin....
We had a wonderful meal which never fails to deliver, absolutely faultless.... the only complaint I had on the night, which is, of no fault of the staff whatsoever was that we were disturbed, as were other diners, distracted by a very rude customer who loved the sound of their voice.
The female made inappropriate comments which was an embarrasment to staff & customers. This type of clientelle is not welcome at an establishment of such high quality & reputation, but the manageress was very proffesional & put this person in their place. well done to her......
I highly recommend a visit to this gem of Sandhutton you will not be dissapointed guaranteed
I will be visiting each time I am in the area, this is my favourite eatery in Thirsk.......

• Visited March 2013
7 Thank DELAWYN
Lancashire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One night stay and dinner - Simon A”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed for one night at The Kings Arms whilst away with work and this was my first visit. Staff were friendly and helpful and could not do enough for you. Room was ideal-nice big bed, walk in shower is a nice touch and a contemporary feel. Highlight is without doubt the dinner menu - you choose your starter from the menu then the waiting staff escort you to the glass counter to choose your main course from the selection of meats and fresh fish on offer. I had the pâté to start and then the wrapped pheasant breast -all superb. Crowned off with the fantastic creme brûlée. Would recommend this to anyone wanting fantastic food in a lovely country pub setting-might even make the 90 mile journey from home to sample again.

• Visited March 2013