“Well equipped some small attention to detail needed”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #8 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Well equipped some small attention to detail needed”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This is a well equipped pub with rooms. It is really very well done and the staff are great. However I don't think they have stayed in the rooms, the soap for the bath is set at shower height and because they don't provide a bar of soap the bath does not leave you feeling clean. The flex for the kettle is ridiculously short.
For what is quite an expensive overnight stay these are little oversights that detract from an over wise great place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Travelling_Col

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here on business for one night. Had a meal in the restaurant, which was first class, you can choose from an early bird menu before 7pm which gives you a really good value for money offer or you can treat yourself to the freshly produced meals, I highly recommend the monk fish if you haven't had it before, it was perfect.

The rooms are modern and warm, heated very effectively by underfloor heating at a sensible temperature, if you want it adjusting you just have to let the staff know and they can turn it up if you wish. There was some noise from the bar below, (only what you'd expect from a small Inn, but it didn't keep me awake. It's on quite a busy road but again traffic seems to stop around 10.30pm and not start till around 7am so doesn't disturb you particularly. Breakfast was beautifully served, if you're a poached eggs fan then they are perfect. All in all an excellent find so pleased to find it.

Agree with others, worth double checking your booking by phone or email just in case, the booking system does seem to get itself in knots, although I had no problems when I changed my dates.

Room Tip: Tell the manager if you need the heating turned up. Be prepared for a little noise from both the ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alison809
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

It was like having a personal chef. It has a butchers and fish counter inside the pub where you choose and order with made to order sauces and accompaniments.

Price was normal and staff were friendly and helpful.

Would definitely recommend and go again.

• Stayed October 2013
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Early evening found us once again at "The Kings Arms" at Sand Hutton, Thirsk. This is a beautifully updated Country Inn, with Restaurant and Rooms. The pub is well patronised by the locals, so this is always a good sign!. We had a drink before being shown to our table in the lovely restaurant.
We very much like being able to choose our meat/fish from the chilled counter, so you know exactly what your are getting. My husband had a wonderful Rib-eye steak and I had the Salmon.
They also have an early doors menu which had a really good selection of food - fish, curries, etc.
The staff are always very pleasant, the whole place has a wonderful ambience. Have eaten here on many, many occasions, the Sunday Lunch is fabulous (proper gravy to die for) too. Can highly recommend, one tip though, we usually book a table.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband would move into this pub if I let him! We were staying at a local B&B (Carlton Barns) and popped to the local pub on their recommendation and we were not dissapointed!

We had our little baby in tow and felt very welcome. Food was exceptional, staff were friendly and very helpful.

I can't recommend the Kings Arms enough, thank you for he fabulous food and service and we hope to get back there again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ClaireLou13
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Looking for somewhere to eat whilst visiting our son and daughter-in-law, who are currently based At RAF Topcliffe, when we decided to stop and explore the King's Arms at Sandhutton. An excellent choice as it turned out. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we had a nice lunch. Having established they had no problem with small children (a 3 month old baby to be precise) we booked for dinner that Saturday evening, 22 June. The butcher's counter concept for ordering your meal is different, but works well as you can choose your cut of meat from what you see and discuss the options for sauces, vegetables and/or salads. We didn't find this a problem at all, unlike one of the earlier reviewers, but then perhaps their nom-de-plume says it all, really. The pub has a good selection of local beers and ciders and a nice choice of wine. It is obviously popular as it got busier during the evening, but we were not rushed and even stayed for dessert - not something we normally manage. I noticed that the KA were offering a Friday night deal of Bed, breakfast and evening meal for £100 per couple when we were there - an absolute bargain in my view. We will be back the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 7Jack7
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My partner and I decided to try the KA for dinner on a Saturday. We were warmly greeted and quickly offered drinks; so far so good. Having not eaten here before we were looking forward to trying something "new", and we found this in the starters, both lamb koftas and mushroom terrine were good. Then it came to deciding on the main course. If you don't know the KA does things slightly differently. Only starters are listed on the menu with main courses selected from a "Butchers Counter". The counter is stocked with meat/fish, and you are asked to make a selection, but there are no menu ideas, instead you have the chef stand there making suggestions as to how "you" might like your meat/fish cooked. I have to say I found this novel, but novel not in a good way. The concept just feels a little odd (sorry). I might be a traditionalist, but I do look forward to reading a menu, looking for something new to try or perhaps settling on an old favourite, and that's what I did here; rib-eye steak, chips and salad (I just felt as though I had to play it safe...had there had been a menu I might have just tried something different). My partner had the venison and she enjoyed it, it looked delicious. My steak was ok, but it didn't set the world on fire. I asked for a blue cheese sauce, but the pot (thimble) it came in was a little on the small side. The chips were good and a good portion size too. All in all it wasn't a bad meal, but I was expecting more based on the reviews on here. I think with the butcher counter concept, you'll either love it or loathe it. For me it doesn't add anything to the dining experience, and in all honesty the display of meat dosen't look that great. Waiting staff were friendly, polite and attentive. I can see that the KA is trying to offer something different, but for me it doesn't work. I may be set in my ways, but give me a menu filled with exciting ideas!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ever_the_critic81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirsk
Golden Fleece Hotel
Old Oak Tree Accommodation
The Carpenters Arms
The Carpenters Arms
#4 of 23 in Thirsk

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!