“All creatures great and small”

World of James Herriot
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: You’ve probably read the books written by James Alfred Wight or watched “All Creatures Great and Small” on TV. Now come and see where James Herriot, the world’s most famous vet, lived, worked and relaxed. See his home and surgery in Thirsk; travel back in time to what life was like when James was a vet in Yorkshire. See the car he drove, step into the TV set, try your hand at being a vet and even experience what it was like to hide in a World War 2 air raid shelter!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was incredible, stepping back in time to when Dr Herriot was working. I almost expected in to be sitting at his desk. The lady who took us on the tour was fantastic explaining to us about the set up.I was a huge Herriot fan when younger, on returning home I went out and purchased all of the DVDs. I loved this tour. It made me realise what a fantastic guy Alf Wight was I wish I had, the opportunity to know him. He would have been a interesting character to know and a friendly guy.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, rooms are set up and filled with interesting, historical and genuine articles. Even if not a James Herriot fan you will enjoy the history and the games upstairs. Lots of facts about Alf Wight but also many item relating to Veterinary medicine, really worthwhile afternoon.

2  Thank wg m
Reviewed 17 April 2014

went to here because i have read all the books when you see it from the outside you think well this wont take long,big mistake my brother and i paid and went in you see the living area and kitchen as it was in the 30s&40s its like being transported back in time as you go in the upstairs rooms there are boards on the walls depicting what life farming was back then there are cupboards and chests of drawers with the instruments vets used back then and you have to wonder how they ever coped with such basics i could write for hours about this place absolutely brilliant a must see in thirsk i would urge any one who visits thirsk go here you,ll be amazed.

1  Thank wilshyboy
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although I have lived in Thirsk most of my life, it wasn't until I moved abroad and came home for a holiday that I went to the Museum which is on the premises of Alf Wights Surgery where I used to take my pets.
I was soooo impressed, what a fantastic place. There is so much to see and be involved in for all ages. It stands alone as a fantastic Museum let alone the connection with All Creatures.
Give yourself a huge treat and go in. I would allow yourself a few hours or more to take everything in.

2  Thank benjean_12
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Initially when we saw the outside of the building we didn't think there was going to be much to see, the building frontage is quite small, and we thought the banners advertising the place were a bit tacky, however, we went in because I have fond memories of the stories from when I was a teenager.
When we went in we were a little concerned because we thought the admission price-£8.50 was a tad steep for the size of the place- boy was I wrong!
The surgery and living accommodation of "James Herriot" has been extended to include a mock up of the t.v. studio and set where the series was filmed. You can also see the actual rooms where James kept his dispensary and performed procedures on small animals, as well as some of the living areas complete with period furniture and fixtures.
There is just so much to see in this building that anyone who saw the series or films will be fascinated.
There are also plenty of things to keep young children amused and the exhibition is obviously geared up for parties of children who, despite never having seen All Creatures Great and Small are sure to spend a fun and educational couple of hours here.

1  Thank SteveHGlasgow