“A lovely day, really well done”

World of James Herriot
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: You’ve probably read the books written by James Alfred Wight or watched “All Creatures Great and Small” on TV. Now come and see where James Herriot, the world’s most famous vet, lived, worked and relaxed. See his home and surgery in Thirsk; travel back in time to what life was like when James was a vet in Yorkshire. See the car he drove, step into the TV set, try your hand at being a vet and even experience what it was like to hide in a World War 2 air raid shelter!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
York, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A lovely day, really well done”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a lovely musuem and immaculately presented. The staff were really lovely and seemed very keen that we had a lovely time. They were super with our two children (aged 7 and 4) and gave them a quiz sheet each to make their visit interesting and a free cream egg at the end! There is so much to see and lots for the children to do which makes it a very interesting place for them, despite the fact that they have never seen the programmes! The museum made me want to watch all the programmes again!

Visited May 2014

Melbourne, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“All creatures great and small”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was incredible, stepping back in time to when Dr Herriot was working. I almost expected in to be sitting at his desk. The lady who took us on the tour was fantastic explaining to us about the set up.I was a huge Herriot fan when younger, on returning home I went out and purchased all of the DVDs. I loved this tour. It made me realise what a fantastic guy Alf Wight was I wish I had, the opportunity to know him. He would have been a interesting character to know and a friendly guy.

Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Really Enjoyable”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, rooms are set up and filled with interesting, historical and genuine articles. Even if not a James Herriot fan you will enjoy the history and the games upstairs. Lots of facts about Alf Wight but also many item relating to Veterinary medicine, really worthwhile afternoon.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank wg m
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“herriots home”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

went to here because i have read all the books when you see it from the outside you think well this wont take long,big mistake my brother and i paid and went in you see the living area and kitchen as it was in the 30s&40s its like being transported back in time as you go in the upstairs rooms there are boards on the walls depicting what life farming was back then there are cupboards and chests of drawers with the instruments vets used back then and you have to wonder how they ever coped with such basics i could write for hours about this place absolutely brilliant a must see in thirsk i would urge any one who visits thirsk go here you,ll be amazed.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank wilshyboy
Thirsk, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellant way to spend a day. 1st class.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although I have lived in Thirsk most of my life, it wasn't until I moved abroad and came home for a holiday that I went to the Museum which is on the premises of Alf Wights Surgery where I used to take my pets.
I was soooo impressed, what a fantastic place. There is so much to see and be involved in for all ages. It stands alone as a fantastic Museum let alone the connection with All Creatures.
Give yourself a huge treat and go in. I would allow yourself a few hours or more to take everything in.

Visited May 2013