“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Thirsk
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Working away again and the hotel or b&b is usually booked on my behalf. If it's a pub/b&b/hotel, i find its either terrible, or a really nice place with it's own character. First impression was made by the excellent, friendly staff, instantly presenting the Angel in a professional and hospitality based manner, not at all like a pub b&b - on to a winner already. On arrival along with checking in, i booked a table in the restaurant which i could see looked like a lovely room, properly made out as a restaurant, not just a pub dining area (although that is an option if you prefer a more casual dining setting). The room itself felt new, clean and comfortable. Had everything you would want, need or expect from a hotel room, though i didn't notice a shaving plug but luckily i had charged the electric toothbrush before leaving home. I ate every night in the restaurant and have to say the food really was a nice surprise, clearly a venue that cares about what, and how the food is served. Breakfast was done in the same manner, a menu with enough options to suit most, and a lovely cup of coffee. Overall a great place to stay for a few days, no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
North East England
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the Angel to celebrate our anniversary. Initial impressions were the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and attentive. We were in room 1 at the front of the hotel - lovely clean well decorated room with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!
We had drinks in the bar before heading out to Thirsk and returned later for a meal. The restaurant was busy but there was no problem getting us a table despite the fact we had not booked. The food was delicious and well presented and the staff were extremely friendly.
Breakfast was very good - we had a bit of a wait as everyone came down at the same time for breakfast but the staff explained this and we're apologetic for our wait - so no problems there. Overall we had a lovely stay at the Angel and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kippax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night while attending a wedding at the nearby crab and lobster, firstly all the staff were very friendly always had a smile on there faces, the two ladies did a great job in the breakfast service, we had a meal in the restaurant we had a 3 course early bird menu which was very nice, but the breakfast was really tasty one of the nicest I have had at any hotel. The room was very good great big comfy bed, lovely bathroom and spotlessly clean.would deffanatly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank b8ste
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at the Angel on 16th August. I arrived at 21.30 and headed for check-in - which was in the middle of a Restaurant. As I checked in, I could feel eyes watching me. Check-in was quick, but I had to walk through tables of diners with my bag, to get to the rooms.
I didn't select the angel because it was 5 miles out of Thirsk, I selected it because it broke my journey from Devon to Newcastle and was close to the A1. It was pretty obvious that the hotel depended on local Restaurant trade to help its Revenues. I had already eaten and a good job too, as the Restaurant was heaving.
The room was fine-modern with flat screen TV and an adequate bathroom. No table though, so had to sit on the bed.
Breakfast was good - not a buffet, made to order. I had an omelette and its one of the best I've ever had. Egon Ronay was quoted as saying that he always ordered omelette to determine how good the chef was - not rubbery and not runny - just right. The breakfast staff were pretty good too.
Not sure I would stay here if I was interested in visiting Thirsk - too far out - but as hotels go it was ok

Room Tip: Room 3 is a single room that overlooks the car park - so pretty quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a perfect stay. I cannot recommend this place enough.

The hotel is part of a lovely and modern pub in the village of Topcliffe. It is an ideal location between the Moors and the Dales for exploring North Yorkshire. Topcliffe seems quite a small village, but you are near Thirsk, and not too far from the main routes to explore, so ideal for a nice quiet stay.

The hotel
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The pub/hotel is decorated in a warm and modern way, very comfortable and cosy. I really liked the décor in all the rooms. The pub was friendly and had very tasteful decorations. The selection of drinks was good.
Plenty of parking by the hotel.
The hotel/pub doesn't look much from the outside, just a normal village pub. But its lovely inside!
Has a small garden area behind the pub with a fountain, possibly linked to their wedding function room.

Our room
We stayed in the Halo Suite - absolutely amazing - from the Four Poster bed, stand alone bath, his and hers sinks and showers. The room was beyond my expectations. Definitely worth the extra money, but not that expensive really. I imagine they use this room as the bridal suite if they have weddings. The bed was big and very comfortable - lovely pillows, soft towels. The room had a fan, a large TV, a comfy sofa, water bottles and teas and coffees. It was very tastefully decorated and comfortable. Loved it! It was one of the most amazing rooms I have ever stayed in! If you are looking to treat that special someone, this is the room for you!

We arrived on the Sunday afternoon and had an amazing roast dinner at the pub there (they only do food until 7pm on the Sunday, so we got there in time).
Breakfast was also good, choice of hot cooked breakfast, cereals, yoghurt, toast and jams, all served by friendly helpful staff. Hot food a bit limited for veggies, but the scrambled egg on toast was delicious.

All in all a fantastic stay and a perfect base for exploring Yorkshire!

Room Tip: Halo Suite was amazing - worth the extra for a special occasion, but I am sure all the rooms will be...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed just the one night but staff could not do too much for you . Beautifully decorated rooms with large very comfortable beds and good showers. Breakfast was excellent and the beer clean and reasonably priced. Great relaxed friendly atmosphere. Off road parking too. Menu a little limited more Mediterranean would have been welcome the only improvement I could possibly think of. Definitely stay again. Chilled out and made to feel welcome. Brilliant .

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times now, about time I left a review!

On arriving the staff are helpful and pleasant, a really warm welcome.

Check in is a painless process, quick easy and efficient.

The rooms are great, clean to a high standard, in fact the whole place is to a high standard.

The food is amazing, two menus usually on offer, the regular menu and a specials menu, both really great.

Great real ales on tap as well, I must recommend the Tribute, Cornish Pale Ale, a really good pint, you can tell the lines are well managed!

Breakfast is amazing as well, no need for lunch.

If things get a bit noisy in the bar for you, there is a residents only lounge with big comfy sofas.

The big draw to this place is the staff. Helpful, happy and go the extra mile to make you feel welcome, a real credit to the management.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirsk
Golden Fleece Hotel
#2 of 5 in Ripon
Best Western Crown Hotel
Best Western Crown Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boroughbridge

Been to The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!